Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johnny_Madhouse

Uses for Wool: Thread spinning, bone needles, wool sweaters

8 posts in this topic

Currently, it's possible to run about naked in the freezing taiga all winter long without any problems. If dying of exposure is a planned feature, why not also implement woolen protective layers?

After shearing a sheep, the wool could be carded with bone tools and spun into thread to be knitted with bone needles. This would give a use to bones, which currently are only good for taming dogs. When skeletons are relegated to fantastical areas, the butchery of animals could result in bones as well.

Other things to consider:

Before knitting the thread into clothes, it could be possible to dye it.

With advancements in textiles (looms, anyone?) it could be possible to make nicer, sleeker-looking clothing to be worn as a status symbol for farmers on MP servers. Why should the forgemasters have all the good stuff?

Instead of real life silk worms, spiders could drop silk that could be turned into clothing as well. I, for one, would happily wear a purple silk cloak while yelling at peasants to make more charcoal. I would be equally happy slaving away making charcoal while wearing a crappy yellow sweater while someone in a purple cloak yells at me!

Would be totally for this, colored clothes of different qualities would be a really good addition to multiplayer to help differentiate jobs. It would also give sheep a better use as for right now all they drop is wool and it isn't the most useful of materials outside of a one time bed. It would also give a better reason for shears to still require two ingots when you can make a full sized sword with a single ingot.

Lots of potential with textiles. It would also give us something to wear outside of leather armor (we don't have a competent enough metal smith to risk using so many resources on metal armors right now), it also seems funny to be wearing armor all day and all night even if your job is that of lowly farmer. :P

It would also give a better reason for shears to still require two ingots when you can make a full sized sword with a single ingot.

you need a 2xingot for making a sword, which is basically the same you needed in vanilla minecraft :

But yeah, i'm on for this suggestion. +1

you need a 2xingot for making a sword, which is basically the same you needed in vanilla minecraft :

But yeah, i'm on for this suggestion. +1

My bad, but my point still stands that shears are rather expensive (compared to most tools with greater importance) for a material that currently doesn't have much use, but has plenty of potential. :)

Already been a few threads for this, but yeah those bolts of cloth in the texture file need an item to associate with, and I'd like it sooner than later

My bad, but my point still stands that shears are rather expensive (compared to most tools with greater importance) for a material that currently doesn't have much use, but has plenty of potential. :)

The shears recipe is temporary, it was not intented to remain that way forever

It'll be good to have more uses for wool.

Good idea.

i'll +1 this idea, but just mindlessly slaughtering spiders isn't even close to enough work for gathering silk, at least if there's a bit of processing between the spider and before the loom stage, also if this happens, it'd be awesome to get different qualities of cloth, cotton, wool, silk, etc.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0