Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kotoroshinoto

boiling mechanic

15 posts in this topic

instead of having it "into space" and vanish all at once, have it slowly decrease the bar's amount, and if it fully depletes then leave the mold behind, also dont let the material go above its melting temp, that shouldn't happen as any energy input @ the melting temp goes into the enthalpy for changing state. (delta KJ of vaporization )

ALSO, if the bloomery outputs metal at nearly white temp, won't it just begin to evaporate immediately?

well if we're using real physics now, then sealed caves with lava in them should crack and explode because PV/NRT

well if we're using real physics now, then sealed caves with lava in them should crack and explode because PV/NRT

ya but instant evaporation will make it nearly impossible to use the bloomery for the low boiling metals.

ya but instant evaporation will make it nearly impossible to use the bloomery for the low boiling metals.

...waitwut.

...you don't lose metal out of the bloomery in tfc. Ever.

Don't need to worry mate, I have no doubt that Bioxx will consider this before implementing metal evaporation. I doubt he will force you to use a firepit for all eternity :P

...waitwut.

...you don't lose metal out of the bloomery in tfc. Ever.

Thats the only reason we haven't been losing it, the boilable metals have been coming out with "caution" stamped on them for a reason.

it seems bioxx selected the boiling points somewhat realistically (i'm not complaining there, we just need a mechanic to control the bloomery temp so boiling ingots when you retrieve them doesnt become an annoying issue.)

1,564° C (2,847° F)

Bismuth, Boiling point

1,535° C (2,795° F)

Iron, Melting point

Firstly, even in a liquid " boiling " state most metals would have to boil for weeks to boil off, and the sustaned temperature to boil it off is like modern bloomery hot like the sun temperatures.

A side note, most fumes from evaporated metals would kill easily, either because of the extreme heat or the toxic gasses. Yes most fumes would go up the chimney but not all.

Firstly, even in a liquid " boiling " state most metals would have to boil for weeks to boil off, and the sustaned temperature to boil it off is like modern bloomery hot like the sun temperatures.

A side note, most fumes from evaporated metals would kill easily, either because of the extreme heat or the toxic gasses. Yes most fumes would go up the chimney but not all.

Also why i was suggesting having the ingot take a hit to its "fullness" rather than instantly dissappear. Also, if any of you have taken Physical chemistry, you'll know that when a susbstance reaches a border between states, the state change occurs first, before temperature can change easily, since all available energy input changes more of the material from one state to another.

Therefore these materials should NOT be able to get significantly hotter than their boiling point.

(the only way to get water above its NORMAL boiling point is to change the conditions to prevent a state change, either by altering the purity of the water with increased salinity, changing the pressure, or preventing the water from finding a site to form bubbles by heating it undisturbed in a completely smooth container)

I think this safe to assume its just the mechanics simplified. Losing the material outright should teach people to pay attention to what they are attempting to do when their neglect can have poor consequences.

I think this safe to assume its just the mechanics simplified. Losing the material outright should teach people to pay attention to what they are attempting to do when their neglect can have poor consequences.

problem is metal simply cannot boil that fast. I understand what you're going for with this, but hell even water doesnt unless you've superheated it at high pressure or in a place with no nucleation sites, and its fairly explosive with its sudden attempt to vaporize once it is disturbed. Sudden vaporization of an entire metal ingot would be practically like setting off an explosive chemical weapon and create a superheated toxic cloud that by rights should probably kill everything in your camp. Its so unrealistic that its jarring in its unbelievability.

Yeah I removed this part. Just change the name to 'Rendered Useless' as opposed to boil over or what not :)

Boiling metal loses carbon, and produces slag, which can weaken the bonds as they solidify and can cause shattering. Original Damascus experiments had over-tempering (Metal losing too much carbon) and would shatter upon a firm strike. And I'm not talking like glass, rather violently.

Now this is something to think about. Tempering. Since we have to re-heat the metals to work them, we would need to replenish the carbon lost in the heating process. Simple way to do that is to powder carbon in water, creating a false "pitch", until an actual pitch is available.

how about just labeling the now-useless ingot as corrupted or something so the player themself has to drop it and allow it to despawn? this vanishing thing is for the birds.

Yeah I am seeing this topic not leading anywhere else good.