Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Serkas

Cooking & Baking the Terrafirma way

10 posts in this topic

So when you venture out the world and find all that tasty bacon or tons of delicious fruit, they often end up as a fast snack instead of a tasty meal.

While the fast cooked pork and beef provide a good starting supply, there should be something more advanced for the later game.

So why not implementing a cooking system:

Since the firepit is to simple and doesn't provide enough room or heat and food from the forge gets that metal taste, the first thing you need is an oven.

But not the easy 8-stones-in-a-circle-type. First you have to get yourself 4 metal sheets. Place them as a + in the crafting grid without the middle to get the oven-inlay.

Next you need a piece of stone (no cobble) and you have to smooth it ith your chisel.

After that you can insert the inlay by right clicking on the stone and *tada*: You created your first oven.

It has 3 input and output slots, but accepts only food items. It can't be heated with a bellow, but due to the metal inlay it gives slightly more heat then the firepit, but you still have to choose the good wood types to cook your meal fast.

Now to make bread for example you have to make a dough first: someone doesn't simply eat 3 wheat in a horizontal row.

Take your wheat, look for an plain stone surface (like you would for an "stone anvil") and get your flail: a tool used to sort the wheat from the chaff. Now throw your wheat on the stone like sticks for an fire, and start to punch it with your flail.

The grain you get can now be grinded to flour by throwing it at a stone surface again and using a hammer on it.

Now collect the four and right click on some water to get your first basic dough.

Put this in your oven and heat it with some logs to get your first selfmade bread. Restores 3 or 3,5 hunger points (now harder to make).

But bread is not the final use for dough: what about combining it with those fruits to get a cake.

So take your dough and a bowl, put them together with milk, eggs and sugar and add some fruits on top to get a cake and place it in the oven. Restores 4 hunger points.

But now you are thirsty, so make yourself some juice.

For that you need a Squeezer: 3 wood vertical on the left and the right of the craftng grid a wood slab in the lower middle a piece of stone in the middle and a stick on top.

Place it down and throw some fruit of one kind in it, then press it a couple of times like the bellow and take out the juice with some bottles. Restores like 1,5 or 2 hunger points (better then the fruit itself but not to much).

And not to forget the new cooking pot: 5 bronze/copper sheets in the shape of an boat and you get the pot. Now place it on a firepit and you can make soup or stew.

Put in water, mushrooms and meat to get your meal and take it out with an bowl.

Maybe you can add some spices later on.

Gives you hunger points depending on the stew you mix, be creative.

So please tell me your opinions about those ideas and maybe add your own thoughts or what could be better or has to be tweaked.

Maybe I didn't find some obvious flaws.

Hope you like the ideas.

I think TerraFirma needs more different ways of cooking, and it must be realistic as well. This idea is just amazing

I agree that we should update cooking.

However, I really think you need to incentivise the advanced cooking. Why should I bother going through the massive bother of all that when I can just use regular vanilla methods to get reasonable food ?

Sure, I could hang upsidedown on my pullup bar every morning when I get dressed for work, but why should I when I can just get dressed the normal way ?

Give me a reason to go through the bother, then we can talk :P

There are some really creative ideas here though :)

I agree that we should update cooking.

However, I really think you need to incentivise the advanced cooking. Why should I bother going through the massive bother of all that when I can just use regular vanilla methods to get reasonable food ?

Sure, I could hang upsidedown on my pullup bar every morning when I get dressed for work, but why should I when I can just get dressed the normal way ?

Give me a reason to go through the bother, then we can talk :P

There are some really creative ideas here though :)

Maybe we could add it so that you can get negative status rffects from raw ingrediences and bonuses for finished meals, for example: poison from raw berries (like mentined in the vegetation note) or when you grill meat over the fire it can either be to raw so you get the hunger-poison-thingy like from zombie flesh and raw chicken or the meat gets burned quickly so that it gets useless.

There could be even a illness if you eat to much meat only.

I came up with this idea because in my opinion,since you get stacks of meat from fully grown animals and even the wheat grows like hell if you have a big field (maybe tweaking the rate of growth) gives so such tons of food that it doesn't quite match with the rareness of ores or the hard steps you have to go through in order to get other stuff in TFC.

It should feel like a real achievement once you get yourself a stable food supply and the finished meals should be the final step out of the berry-gatherer and hunter ages into something that feels a little bit like medieval kitchen.

honestly... I think you should be able to burn food. If I leave beef on a hot forge for 20 minutes, I should come back to find a shriveled foul smelling ball of carbon, not a tender steak dinner.

Just add a generic 'burned food item' and copy-paste the code in for ingots melting when they get too hot.

honestly... I think you should be able to burn food. If I leave beef on a hot forge for 20 minutes, I should come back to find a shriveled foul smelling ball of carbon, not a tender steak dinner.

Just add a generic 'burned food item' and copy-paste the code in for ingots melting when they get too hot.

But i think all metals have only a point where they evaporate (which is already implemented)

I don't think that metals can turn into ash or something like burn into a black chunk, or can they?

Just my naiv chemisty knowledge, maybe the unpure metal parts or other material within the ores may turn to slag.

But i think all metals have only a point where they evaporate (which is already implemented)

I don't think that metals can turn into ash or something like burn into a black chunk, or can they?

Just my naiv chemisty knowledge, maybe the unpure metal parts or other material within the ores may turn to slag.

You misunderstand I think. Eternal was saying that there is a state change when the metals melt, they go from an "ore" item to a "liquid" item. Using this code, it would be easy (possibly) to transition the beef from beef to "burnt" when it reached a certain temp

You misunderstand I think. Eternal was saying that there is a state change when the metals melt, they go from an "ore" item to a "liquid" item. Using this code, it would be easy (possibly) to transition the beef from beef to "burnt" when it reached a certain temp

Ahhh, well yeah, I like that very much, because the amounts of beef and pork you get now are a little to much considering that all you need is a fire and some wood and you will be suited for days. With metal bars you also have look out so that they don't turn into unshaped metal by smelting so it would be great to implement that for food.

By the way: Since I saw that vegetation note on the homepage I wonder if, or when vegetables, bushes and spices/herbs will be implemented to TFC.

Does anybody have an idea of that?

I think its a fine idea, though I don't see why the oven would have to be metal. I'd think a brick oven would make more sense in general giving TFC's 'tech level' overall. If you wanted to make it more complex than having someone chisel up a few bricks, require it to be made out of actual clay bricks. Combined that with a suitable heating source into an 'arranged' structure (same way we do Bloomeries and Forges) and you're in business.

A stew pot would be nice also. I'm sure its been mentioned dozens of times before, but it would seem like an appropriate upgrade to the firepit - Or perhaps part of a new component to a 'fireplace' structure that works on coals OR logs and requires a chimney?

Lots of options all around. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0