Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sasqaucth

Time Period appropriate Insulation(Too hot or To cold)

11 posts in this topic

Me being 14 and only having been on this earth a limited time, already grow weary of stupid architecture and foolish implementation of A/C systems among other things. So Bioxx i hope your listening, or you Dunk, cause maybe this has stufff to add to your overhaul of my favorite thing: building.

________________________________________________________________________________

Comforts: Insulation- I like history, and as such look towards it for engineering ideas and the stuff. Now, the appropriated time period as stated by the dear lord Bioxx, had multiple ways of insulating and cooling homes and dwellings. For example, Montezuma Castle shows us that in the Arid climate of the southwest, many natives used the shade of mountains and wind from the altitude to cool their Mud brick homes, a.k.a. pueblos, and their is evidence mud was used with early wooden structures in near the Nile to keep the houses Cooled. In the Northern regions of Europe, straw was used to keep the homes warm and retain heat. of course, there were large flammability issues, which is why you see villages burnt to the ground in all those darned movies. In China, paper was used to cool and insulate homes and buildings, and sometimes buildings had open air layouts to let wind circulate. Tudor homes are built in a fashion so that sunlight dose not permeate the windows when the sun is highest and the day hottest, with a stepping fashion of floors.

Posted Image

Moar Mechanics: A debuff for when you get too hot or too cold? Maybe keep it at a universal one, such as slowness or hunger. Also, a semi-different physics layout as the IC2 Scaffolding, in order to make tudors, but not crazy houses.

MOAR FEEDBACK PLOX!

Eww don't say plox :P

Anywho, I and some to a lot of people would like heat and cold damage and the need to insulate and so on. Hope its possible, hope its implemented.

400 years ago not a lot was done to insulate, primary means of insulation being that the walls were stone brick or dried mud with straw for sructural support and were fairly thick. Beyond that animal skins hung on the walls would offer further insulation. I believe that the stick construction buildings that were built at the time might have had straw stuffing.

Not sure what else we would believably insulate with in TFC, wool I guess, say cut a wool panel in quarters and there's insulation, but that's not really "believable."

Interesting idea. We plan to *try* to implement a heating system, but you have to understand how resource intensive it might be. We'd have to layer another map on top of the current one (sort of like the light level map) where each block has a heat level and there are *heat sources* (this might lag more than you'd think). If you get too cold, you'd start taking damage, and if you got too hot, you'd also take damage. This would mean no incomplete houses in the winter, as the heat would escape and/or the cold would get in and it would defeat one of the main reasons for having a home irl. There will of course be armour and clothing you can wear to help stave off the cold, but this will only slow it down, it's not something you can wear indefinitely (Think fur, leather and wool clothes).

Thanks for the post!

anouther good way to insulate a home in a cold climate is with moss

i ve built a trappers / prospectors cabin with family friends and the way they insulated the wood joints in the logs was with thick moss

moss locks in heat and also forms a seal against mold that can form on the logs

A lot of stuff i did and didn't know! and thanks for the speedy write back dunk!

I agree with this idea, perhaps if it is added, could it be as a separate module for people with more conservative computers? Also, i think that having straw added would do well for insulation, or mud, people would insulate log cabins with mud if resources were scarce.

Go check out dunk's post in teh diet thread.

I did, just a side note, while it is nice to let people see that dunk made a juicy post, maybe don't post it in so many threads? Just a thought.

Never, for we the community must know of this "juicy" Post. Also, it's cause we were discussing how to make it less resource intensive.

(this might lag more than you'd think).

Maybe, but if you take a page from minecraft's own book and use cellular automata+random block updates, it could be quite speedy! Either way, i'm super excited about this system!

No promises, but if you've seen dunk's speel you'd know about their semi-plan and why this may come into play.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0