Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
abandoned mines

the scaleing bar (safety tool while mining)

57 posts in this topic

hi there

while i was working out in the field at one of the small addits i ve driven into a local hillside i found my self checking a broken section of rock with my scaling bar

a scaling bar is basically a crow bar with a sharpened point and a long shaft

this bar is used to dislodge unstable materials in tunnels from a safe distance

we could implement the scaling bar as a tool to determine which area of a shaft was in need of shoring up, or could be used to set off an area of unstable rock before it falls on you.

just an idea, though it could help with mining in large workings

Kind of like it... Is it possible for a tool to increase your range, so you can interact with far blocks? If not, then i'm not seeing this working properly : if it is possible -and not painfully difficult to do...-, i'm pro this.

So yeah, here you have a +/-1

Actually... this sounds quite useful. +1

If by set off unstable rock from a safe distance you mean make it so cave ins happen at rance and it triggers them where they would have happened. Caveins are randomly generated based on hitting blocks in the ceiling, or walls holding up blocks above them. Totally random, and there is already a tool for preventing a cavein, supports. I just can't see this actually being useful, as all its going to do is grigger random cave ins from further away, but cave ins can cause huge cave systems to collapse if not supported.

If lose rocks were predetermained, and where caveins could happen was predetermained then this would have a use, but their not.

If by set off unstable rock from a safe distance you mean make it so cave ins happen at rance and it triggers them where they would have happened. Caveins are randomly generated based on hitting blocks in the ceiling, or walls holding up blocks above them. Totally random, and there is already a tool for preventing a cavein, supports. I just can't see this actually being useful, as all its going to do is grigger random cave ins from further away, but cave ins can cause huge cave systems to collapse if not supported.

If lose rocks were predetermained, and where caveins could happen was predetermained then this would have a use, but their not.

hmm i thought out this tool to determine where a cave in will next occur (taking into account which areas are least supported) and would also have the ability to set off the block that would cause the cave in, but without setting off a total collapse.

i din t know at the time that cave ins were random, so this is rather useless

though could there be other uses ?

What if you are above the potential cave in? I don't want to mine safely down there, risking an encounter with mobs, to put up supports. This will help you find a safe path mining out caverns.

I like it infinus.

hmm i thought out this tool to determine where a cave in will next occur (taking into account which areas are least supported) and would also have the ability to set off the block that would cause the cave in, but without setting off a total collapse.

i din t know at the time that cave ins were random, so this is rather useless

though could there be other uses ?

updating blocks that should cave in but haven't. For example, if some glitch leaves a bunch of cobble suspended over my head, and I'm one wandering sheep away from taking a dirt nap, I'd like to be able to update those blocks BEFORE I have to get near them

lol thats actually kinda what I thought he meant in the first place

Oh well

They may help you to test, if in doubt, if a rock section is holded by the support or not, starting a cave in if they are not supported, and that making everything a little more safe.

They may help you to test, if in doubt, if a rock section is holded by the support or not, starting a cave in if they are not supported, and that making everything a little more safe.

that could work :)

Just because it is remotely close to discussion, shouldn't different rock have different cave in chances? maybe different ways the cave ins look? Something like a coal mine with a shale roof that collapses in chunks at a time dispersed throughout the area.

Well, the only way i can see that being possible is if they added like 12 different rock states, which i think is a ton of work, as it is, they drop the rock type that it was originally as a cobble version of it.

Just because it is remotely close to discussion, shouldn't different rock have different cave in chances? maybe different ways the cave ins look? Something like a coal mine with a shale roof that collapses in chunks at a time dispersed throughout the area.

that already happens.

wtf? it happens? ·_·... we won't ever know which kinds of rock are more prone to fall unless we see the code, will we?

-snip-

I'm not usually in the habit of correcting people for no reason, but since it helps you learn..

The correct phrase would be "more prone" not "proner" :)

Thank you :P i will edit the post right now.

Just hoping no one sees what happened to Dunk and the word "bare" and decides to do the exact same thing to me -w-

At least it makes it harder to misspell it as boner....or broner for that matter.

other derail related topic: I would say using a tad bit of common sense, igneous intrusive (or whichever) is the least likely to collapse, while sedimentary conglomerate would be some of the most prone to falls

At least it makes it harder to misspell it as boner....or broner for that matter.

other derail related topic: I would say using a tad bit of common sense, igneous intrusive (or whichever) is the least likely to collapse, while sedimentary conglomerate would be some of the most prone to falls

Look through the discussion thread for strongest rock type. Igneous extrusive is harder and less brittle.

Look through the discussion thread for strongest rock type. Igneous extrusive is harder and less brittle.

Once more not playing the mod in a few months limits my knowledge base, actually even when I did play last I was nowhere near my first metal tool :3

sedimentary rocks cave in much more often than igneous or metamorphic

Once more not playing the mod in a few months limits my knowledge base, actually even when I did play last I was nowhere near my first metal tool :3

It's okay, nobody looks anywhere but here :D, If you didn't check that out though, I suggest you do.

Wait... harder AND less brittle? that's an oxymoron sir/madam.

I didn't want to be the one to point it out :P

Are you sure?

Brittleness- The more brittle, the easier it is to break under stress.

Hardness- Strength relative to not breaking. Having a surface with no/little give.

Basically the same thing, but they don't cancel each other out. How is that an oxymoron?

And I am a dude.

I didn't want to be the one to point it out :P

Now I want explanation.

Well son of a gun, apparently they aren't exactly the same, after doing a wee bit of research, but GENERALLY they are one and the same, especially when working metals, with tempering and whatnot.

As in usually, when adding more carbon to iron, you're making it more rigid (harder) but also more frangible.

Edited by Scooterdanny