Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kunke

Dynamic Terrain

11 posts in this topic

So this is just an idea (obviously ^_^ ) that im not even sure if would be possible to code or run on typical computers -_- . IRL water carries rock and mud downstream, wind and rain erode rock and extreme heat from lava can cause rock to crack or melt, glaciers can rip through mountains, and you see where I'm going with this. Erosion and other forces of nature cause our planet to constantly shift and change. I don't see why Minecraft isn't the same. Im not sure how you would go about with wind erosion but I can see water being fairly simple the only hard part would be to make it so that finite water still worked. To give you a better idea of what I'm suggesting I suggest you go to this link if [CAUTION: what this link goes to is very intensive on your computer. I may crash you. You have been warned.] http://codeflow.org/webgl/craftscape/ That is a basic demonstration of what I'm thinking of. Though I would like to see this much more in depth. also kinda random :P but I'd like to see rivers come from mountains in spring :P:D

I like the idea, but I don't think it's very feasible as a game concept. I don't know how many computers would be able to handle it (other than eternal's) so I don't think it's going to happen. Sorry :(

I completey understood that it would be intensive on the mechine at hand but as long as you made it a toggleable setting i could see it as a good path to take for future devlopment

I completey understood that it would be intensive on the mechine at hand but as long as you made it a toggleable setting i could see it as a good path to take for future devlopment

well yes, but should we spend so much time developing a feature for a handful of people? There are only around 3 coders on the team and if we all devote our time to making this, everyone who can't use it (me included =P) well kinda get the short end of the stick.

That would also mean that it's a setting very few people would use and see, thus making it also a rather unused and thus pointless path of development.

I like the idea too, and if it can be made to run on a somewhat decent computer, then I'd be all for it. But that's really something only the coders could tell us if it's feasible or not.

EDIT: Ninja'd

extreme heat from lava can cause rock to crack or melt

well the entire underground will be fucked from one lava pool then

It would at the very least require being generated beforehand, as in a world generated with biomes (I know you don't like that term for what the future hold) forming around erosion.

well the entire underground will be fucked from one lava pool then

Off topic: Your avatar is epic

Off topic: Your avatar is epic

We have private messages for a reason, people!

We have private messages for a reason, people!

Off topic: good to know

I like the idea, but I don't think it's very feasible as a game concept. I don't know how many computers would be able to handle it (other than eternal's) so I don't think it's going to happen. Sorry :(

Maybe mine :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0