Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jasnatdic

Thunder Storms

18 posts in this topic

I had a thought about thunder storms and the new nutrient and crop system. IRL thunderstorms, or the lightning more specifically creates nitrogen in the air. This then settles down into the soil and increases soil nutrients.

How about if thunder storms in tfc would do the same, and help regenerate the nutrients in the soil?

I kind of like it... though, aren't lighting storms a bit too rare?

While realistic, it just isn't viable enough to be included, as it is outside of the scope of the mod. For the time and effort to code this, the reward is fairly slim.

I kind of like it... though, aren't lighting storms a bit too rare?

They are fairly rare, but that's also the point, a nice random uncontrollable (to the player) boost to your soil.

While realistic, it just isn't viable enough to be included, as it is outside of the scope of the mod. For the time and effort to code this, the reward is fairly slim.

Shouldn't be that difficult to code i wouldn't think, at least not with the current weather which is, if there's weather then its all over. I'm not sure but i think I have even seen thunder in snow biomes, but maybe that was from a neighboring normal biome. The more difficult part of coding will be when Bioxx makes weather localized instead of everywhere, and most of the coding there would be the localization not that if there is a thunderstorm nearby, or lightning strike nearby you get extra nutrients.

Also, I'm not sure what viability it is lacking, or how it doesn't fit the scope of the mod, as the last major game update has to do with the crop system and this suggestion is solely targeted at that. In fact the scope of this mod is so huge that you could suggest practically anything and find some kind of argument to support its inclusion.

why do we need the fertilizing part ?

storms are epic enough alone, add a little soundtrack

there ya go :P

@Just another, epic signature and happy now,there are no "you know what i mean:P"

why do we need the fertilizing part ?

Why do we not need the fertilizing part?

I'm just suggesting tying in the fact that thunder storms already exists in minecraft with the fact that the nitrogen created from a lightning strike greatly helps to replenish soil nitrogen levels in nature.

in my whole mc life and tfc life, i saw 4 lightning bolts hit the earth, even if they are implemented the win would be almost not recognizable, since the effect would at max be a 5 m radius

and the tfc storms are not real storm, they are "little windy"

The nitrogen increase isn't linked to a radius of the strike, it spreads out through the atmosphere due to wind and rain before settling into the soil.

I'm not talking about a radius on a strike, I'm talking about if there's a thunder storm near the soil it gets a little boost.

dude thats a pain in the ass to even think about how the code could work

not to ruin your day guys... but you know that the air consists of almost 80% nitrogen already, and that lightnings won't generate more nitrogen in the air? Do you have any reference of what you're talking about?

ask him not me

i only learnd in school,that the potential diffrence and the decharging from the bolt attracts ions (nitrogen as well, duh)

I agree with this but I have another thunder related idea. This one takes more to code but I think it would be rewarding. If its raining in Quebec is it raining in Malasia? I don't think so. Global weather is a stupid notch-based idea that doesn't belong in tfc. I think that rain storms should be biome by biome and that it would work something like this. There is already a temperature as part of the weather, why not have a humidity level too? The probability of rain starting in a given biome is dependent in three factors: the humidity, whether there is a storm in an adjacent biome, and the time since the last rainstorm. Thunder could be a different mechanic. The probability of the rain stopping is dependent on similar factors: the humidity, whether there is a non-raining biome nearby, and how long it has been raining.

In effect this would or produce an effect like the storm was moving, in that rain would start, this would cause rain to start in the surrounding area, then rain would stop. Also, humidity would be affected by surrounding humidity. So being next to a desert would lower your humidity a little.

Just an idea.

local weather is already planned.... but will probably kill optifine compability. (see the old poll on front page)

*shakes thread vigorously*

Not working!!

Quick necro!

{€*<|!+>~}€*%>~{<£*^>(/"&$$

Now that that's in order, can we resume thus discussion?

*shakes thread vigorously*

Not working!!

Quick necro!

{€*<|!+>~}€*%>~{<£*^>(/"&$$

sigh, dont do stuff like that just becuase you wanna continue

if you want to revive a thread post something relevant not shit like that

sigh, dont do stuff like that just becuase you wanna continue

if you want to revive a thread post something relevant not shit like that

Yeah, if a thread dies, let it die, rather than parading it's digital corpse everywhere. I'm getting a bit tired of going to the suggestion threads. and seeing asinine comments, totally irrelevant and/or redundant.

Yeah, if a thread dies, let it die, rather than parading it's digital corpse everywhere. I'm getting a bit tired of going to the suggestion threads. and seeing asinine comments, totally irrelevant and/or redundant.

Yep, and only some of them are my fault which is even worse ! :P

But seriously guys, don't rez a thread unless you have something to say about it :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0