Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
dinoman1996

plant genetics = allsume

132 posts in this topic

You should add in plant genetics in tfcraft like wild corn is smaller cultivated corn is bigger.or even like adding cold resist or even more hunger filled per a pecie of corn or tomato or more produced per a mc year or change soil reqerment thought selective breeding this is an idea so if you like it and other stuff you know this idea is kinda small.

Posted Image

Interesting idea sonny-jim, surely a punnet square would be simple enough to make in TFC

Wouldn't be hard at all, as long as it remains Mendelian, and with very few traits for simplicity. It is literally chance of trait (1A=AA, .5A=Aa, 0A=aa) * chance of other traits (same thing), and then multiply it by the same from another plant, and use that as chance for any result. A lot simpler than some things programmed in here. It's just a question of how far you want to go.

Posted Image

Interesting idea sonny-jim, surely a punnet square would be simple enough to make in TFC

A wild Mendell has appeared!

Fight Pokemon

Bag Run

A wild Mendell has appeared!

Fight Pokemon

Bag Run

>Pokemon

>"Oh no, I haven't caught any yet! I'd better head over to Prof. Darwin!"

>Run

Menu

>Bag

>Repel

Keep it simple, and Im for this. Go beyond that, And I hunt you down when my crops become sentient and try to kill me. you will rue the day this thread was made, mark my words.

;D

WOOH! Mendelian inheritance FTW!!!11!!

Woohoo, this idea sounds super fun, and adds a bit of brain to agriculture. I think every crop would have a certain number of mendelian traits. Such as, size (big/small), crop yield, toxicity???, and hunger bar fillage. There could be other stuff like color to add, for the lulz.

There could be other stuff like color to add, for the lulz.

Cool. So my peas could be green OR yellow?!

Fuckin hell, time to build me a monestary

I agree :) but I ask what about how would we be able to see the genes in the plant?

I agree :) but I ask what about how would we be able to see the genes in the plant?

No clue, how did Gregor see them?

Obviously the man had access to the kinds of modern genetics labs we can't have in terraf-

...wait a minute...

No clue, how did Gregor see them?

Obviously the man had access to the kinds of modern genetics labs we can't have in terraf-

...wait a minute...

what? man

The genes are not observed, but the traits caused by them are. These can be used to estimated the genes and cross-breed for specific traits. Assuming everything stats Mendelian, there are a handful of traits that you track by observation through the generations, and by their parents you can determine the absolute genes of a family of plants, and whether one trait is autosomal dominant or recessive. Ex.) Color- animals can find and eat the bright red plants pretty easily, so they die off from over-consumption, and the alleles for green plants becomes a lot more common. Unless it's a plant that seeds by luring animals to eat them and relying on their dung to plant and fertilize the seeds. Then, if green weren't so important to photosynthesis, we might get all red plants.

The genes are not observed, but the traits caused by them are. These can be used to estimated the genes and cross-breed for specific traits. Assuming everything stats Mendelian, there are a handful of traits that you track by observation through the generations, and by their parents you can determine the absolute genes of a family of plants, and whether one trait is autosomal dominant or recessive. Ex.) Color- animals can find and eat the bright red plants pretty easily, so they die off from over-consumption, and the alleles for green plants becomes a lot more common. Unless it's a plant that seeds by luring animals to eat them and relying on their dung to plant and fertilize the seeds. Then, if green weren't so important to photosynthesis, we might get all red plants.

s'cuse me while I spam the like button

nice ok now how do we get the mod maker to see this lol

Bioxx dicks around on these forums all the time dude, he just never fucking posts

And even if he didn't, Dunk, the other developer, is around here all the time and is constantly talking with him. Good ideas will make it to Bioxx one way or the other. Doesn't mean he'll add it tho

hmmm ty man new to forums k

oh yeah thanks for reminding me

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

If the traits stay simple and observable, I am all for this. (E.X. Large or small ears (corn), low or high yield (3 grains instead of 2))

If the traits stay simple and observable, I am all for this. (E.X. Large or small ears (corn), low or high yield (3 grains instead of 2))

I believe that the traits should focus on the general ability of the crop to survive in it's environment, not simply size or yield (still should be included, however). Ex.) Color determines which ones get spotted (helps if it needs to be eaten to be seeded, is a disadvantage if it doesn't); General size (does it grow in mostly shaded environments, or can it conserve energy and stay small); Seed count (More if short life expectancy, less if longer to prevent overcrowding); Leaf shape(flat, wide leaves take in and lose a lot of heat/light energy, needle leaves lose less and take in less; also can provide some protection (cactus)); root depth/spread (affects water/nutrient amounts, three guesses how and what conditions), etc.

Other ideas are pest resistance, seed type (bulb, fire activated, food, self-plant, asexual (cutting)), water density (how much it can store for bad times), and favored conditions (a spectrum of dark-light, wet-dry).

All of these keep it relatively simple (providing only Mendelian genetics), but cover most of what is important to a plant's survival and that of its kin. Some of these even have the potential of being grouped up for simplicity's sake, and still be believable. However, as a ginger kid, I wonder if mutations are a possibility...

I believe that the traits should focus on the general ability of the crop to survive in it's environment, not simply size or yield (still should be included, however). Ex.) Color determines which ones get spotted (helps if it needs to be eaten to be seeded, is a disadvantage if it doesn't); General size (does it grow in mostly shaded environments, or can it conserve energy and stay small); Seed count (More if short life expectancy, less if longer to prevent overcrowding); Leaf shape(flat, wide leaves take in and lose a lot of heat/light energy, needle leaves lose less and take in less; also can provide some protection (cactus)); root depth/spread (affects water/nutrient amounts, three guesses how and what conditions), etc.

Other ideas are pest resistance, seed type (bulb, fire activated, food, self-plant, asexual (cutting)), water density (how much it can store for bad times), and favored conditions (a spectrum of dark-light, wet-dry).

All of these keep it relatively simple (providing only Mendelian genetics), but cover most of what is important to a plant's survival and that of its kin. Some of these even have the potential of being grouped up for simplicity's sake, and still be believable. However, as a ginger kid, I wonder if mutations are a possibility...

Yes. Mutations, over the course of (let's be realistic here) 2-3 generations: GIANT MAN-EATING GRAPES

Ever seen a Saguaro cactus's root system? it's something like ten times the size of the cactus itself.

Yes. Mutations, over the course of (let's be realistic here) 2-3 generations: GIANT MAN-EATING GRAPES

oh come on, lets be serious, we all know grapes can do that

obviously we're going to have giant tomatos rolling around the city eating people