Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Artuga

Wooden/Clay Walls

22 posts in this topic

Right, so the idea here is to enchance the building-aspect of TFC, by giving construction some much needed realism/challenges.

Typically, i don't think a person starting out should be able to place down a mansion just by using wood blocks. The main reason this currently work is because wooden blocks aren't affected by gravity.

My suggestion is to let you craft walls that acts as support beams currently do for cave-in mechanics. To make this more of a part of gameplay and not just place down support beams for aesthetic reasons, the working mechanic of wood blocks/slabs would also need to be reworked a little. Maybe let you connect up to 2 floating wood blocks horizontally, but trying to place a third one would cause that to fall to the ground. This will allow to still make yourself some early small shelters (up to four blocks wide), but prevent you from making larger structures until you have the technology to actually make supportive structures for your buildings.

In basic, i was thinking along the lines of crafting eight planks/clay balls around a support beam, to be given x amount of wall pieces. These walls would act like for example glass panes currently do upon placement, but will be thicker although not as thick as say a wooden block. The textures would show the type of wood/clay used (also considering there might be clay of different colors in the future) but also have implemented support pillars in the textures. They would work either exactly like horizontal support beams do currently, or in a slightly smaller scale. This way you could choose whether you would like to construct your building with actual support beams, or rather use thinner walls as an alternative, slightly more resource efficient method for construction (they should be slightly more resource-efficient, given their slightly thinner size.)

The only issue i see with such walls are with the connection between the walls and the floor/roof. This would have to be solved by having the walls actually connect to the blocks used for floors/roofblocks. But i think this should be managable.

In my opinion, this would bring some much needed challenges to making larger structures, and actually give you some more realistic rules to go by when you construct your houses.

Would this be too much trouble for people, or would you welcome a change that adds some challenges to architecture?

Been discussed. Can't believe I am saying this, but LURK MOAR. (sorry :/) Bioxx already has a construction update planned out and ready.

Been discussed. Can't believe I am saying this, but LURK MOAR. (sorry :/) Bioxx already has a construction update planned out and ready.

My apologies then.

I did try to search beforehand, but i guess i should do abit more research before trying out a suggestion.

Would it be an okay forum policy to rather open threads in the discussion part of the forum first, and see what people think before opening a thread in the suggestion forum?

Well... yeah, it would be good. Just, try to keep it in the rails, derailing is a real danger here, when what you want is people to discuss what you said :

Well... yeah, it would be good. Just, try to keep it in the rails, derailing is a real danger here, when what you want is people to discuss what you said :

I'm well aware of the derailment factor on these forums :)

Just asking for clarification: I know there is a construction update coming, what i couldn't find was a suggestion for resource-efficient wall-structures with build in support-features. The part about gravity mechanics was just mentioned as a reasoning for my suggestion, as i suspected something similar to that was already in development.

Thanks for the replies, i'll try and make a list of suggestions i have going on in my head in the discussion forum, before making any more posts in suggestions :P

I think it should be three blocks not two. Wait never mind two blocks would mean that if you want a 7x7 with 5x5 area inside you'd have a more interesting roof. Though I do have to insist that worked stone keep at least three. I'd never be able to get a decent looking cathedral since the standard distance is five and may go as high as ten before hitting another support beam. So after thinking about it wood should be two or three and worked stone should be five. (you have to keep in mind people build with archs)

Example of good architechure that might break because of this change unless certain measures are taken:

Posted Image

Just so we're clear I'm not worried about the roof just about my supports since the center support spans ten blocks and has a total of six "unsupported" blocks in the middle of it's arch, unless you're counting the half-slabs and stairs as supports. In which case, it's only two blocks "unsupported" and would be fine even if you reduced it down to one block away. I guess that wouldn't seem unreasonable since stone is heavier, but please let slabs and stairs help support the "unsupported" or you remove architechure like this.

I think it should be three blocks not two. Wait never mind two blocks would mean that if you want a 7x7 with 5x5 area inside you'd have a more interesting roof. Though I do have to insist that worked stone keep at least three. I'd never be able to get a decent looking cathedral since the standard distance is five and may go as high as ten before hitting another support beam. So after thinking about it wood should be two or three and worked stone should be five. (you have to keep in mind people build with archs)

Example of good architechure that might break because of this change unless certain measures are taken:

Agreed partially with the distance, but you have to keep in mind that you still can use ordinary support beams for such structures (which would make more sence)

The issue with curved roofs could be fixed by adding something like curved/diagonal support beams (preferrably also a stone version of them for truly epic structures)

Edit: Seeing as we already have the option to make pillar-looking stone with the chisel, i guess one solution woud be to make all worked stone have proper bearing support-abilities

Stone supports would be awesome if you were to turn gravity on for worked stone. Also sorry about you not getting the second half of my post I usually post something and then read it and change it pretty soon after writing it. I love the edit button. :)

P.S. The stone versons should look more like pillars then the current wood supports which just wouldn't look right if you just reskinned the same model.

Been discussed. Can't believe I am saying this, but LURK MOAR.

Finally come to the dark side have you? Goooood, GOOOOOOD!

Finally come to the dark side have you? Goooood, GOOOOOOD!

Do you have cookies? I can't come without them.

Do you have cookies? I can't come without them.

We did, but unless you count oatmeal, we ran out.

We did, but unless you count oatmeal, we ran out.

I don't know, mostly because I never eat raw oatmeal.

Come to the grey side. We have chocolate cheesecake. :ph34r:

No, grey is too depressive. But chocolate cheesecakes...one moment, are they grey too?

pssshhhh you and your earthly colors

we have a Color Out of Space over here

-high five anyone who gets that refference-

pssshhhh you and your earthly colors

we have a Color Out of Space over here

-high five anyone who gets that refference-

Hi there.

I don't know, mostly because I never eat raw oatmeal.

No, no, no, oatmeal cookies, the storm troopers seem to hate them, so we always have tons left after our monthly death star office parties.

No, no, no, oatmeal cookies, the storm troopers seem to hate them, so we always have tons left after our monthly death star office parties.

Oh, then...yes, probably.

What must I do now?

Oh, then...yes, probably.

What must I do now?

uhh, hmm, I guess you could go fly around in a Star Destroyer for a while, or torture some prisoners. OH! even better, go make fun of the storm troopers at the shooting range because they can't aim for shit!

uhh, hmm, I guess you could go fly around in a Star Destroyer for a while, or torture some prisoners. OH! even better, go make fun of the storm troopers at the shooting range because they can't aim for shit!

Now that I remember, give this to Sherlock *gives achartran a mysterious pack* It contains Sherlock's pipe. I can't sell that, because it was full of something like white powder. He must be happy now.

Now that I remember, give this to Sherlock *gives achartran a mysterious pack* It contains Sherlock's pipe. I can't sell that, because it was full of something like white powder. He must be happy now.

Ohhhhhh, that explains why he's been so moody lately, he is usually so hyper. Well, I'll makes sure he gets it right away.

Stone supports would be awesome if you were to turn gravity on for worked stone. Also sorry about you not getting the second half of my post I usually post something and then read it and change it pretty soon after writing it. I love the edit button. :)

P.S. The stone versons should look more like pillars then the current wood supports which just wouldn't look right if you just reskinned the same model.

I know I do it and plenty of other people do as well, the upside down stairs to look like arch or support could be used to extend the distance out from the actual wall you can build. Half a block further per upside down stair would mean you could hit +1 if the max is 2 out, or it could mean that if you do 3 out as the default, you could create an arch with a keystone after placing both other sides of the arch first with upside down stairs.