Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
warfighter67

I'm a musician

17 posts in this topic

Well, I knew this would happen sooner or later, but time for a shameless promo (although I don't sell my music--it's free).

For those who don't know, I'm a big fan of metal. Especially viking/folk/symphonic metal. Bands like Turisas, Epica, Visions of Atlantis, Arkona, Ensiferum, Nightwish, etc I also enjoy classical music and mellow, melodic electronic music.

I attempt to make my own music, though most of them time I'm not happy with it. I've decided to let you, the TFC community give your opinions of my music. Don't be afraid to criticize me, xD

Anyways, now for links!!

^^Newest song--just made.

http://www.soundclick.com/eventhorizonsoundtracks

^^my main website for my music.

Interesting song, Mister Warfight67.

P.S. - What the Helm's Deep has happened to Seldron? Why isn't he/she updating the Nessaja Server? Also, tell me of the tales after Seldron issued the white list, if you do so wish to.

I haven't been in contact with anyone from Nessaja for months.

Let me say first, I am NOT a metal fan, nowhere close, I just don't like it that much. It is one of the 5 major genres I don't listen to all that much along with (I hate some of these and am indifferent towards others. Metal, I am indifferent towards): Country, Pop, Hip-Hop, and Rap.

That being said, what you have done is very good. It is technically sound as far as I can tell and sounds like metal is supposed to. I'm a fellow musician as well and I know the feeling of "I don't like what I just made at all", it's part of what makes you strive to make something better, but can also really get in the way sometimes.

So yeah, great job! It's not the kind of music I personally listen to, but it is good none the less. :)

+1 to you

I have to ask a few questions now. :)

1.) Did you play all the parts yourself?

2.) What kind of instruments do you play? As well as what brand, specs, etc.

3.) What recording software do you use? (I personally use Pro Tools 10 as my main DAW, but Garageband for just messing around as it is a lot easier to use but doesn't have as much functionality as Pro Tools.)

4.) Do you ever use loops in your songs? (I've made whole songs using loops, so this isn't a bad thing IMO.)

Just a few minor criticisms and thoughts now...

- It could be a bit longer, although don't artificially extend it by just repeating the same thing, add some new parts.

- It could use a bass part or another instrument, right now it lacks a little bit of depth that could be solved by adding a simple track of a different instrument underneath the guitar to round out the sound and get it to be more "in your face" as metal often is.

- that's really it, as I have already said, nice job and keep up the good work!

I haven't been in contact with anyone from Nessaja for months.

Shoot! Have you been to Yimmster's Server? He is accepting the players from Nesseja until Seldron comes back and re-update the server.

Let me say first, I am NOT a metal fan, nowhere close, I just don't like it that much. It is one of the 5 major genres I don't listen to all that much along with (I hate some of these and am indifferent towards others. Metal, I am indifferent towards): Country, Pop, Hip-Hop, and Rap.

That being said, what you have done is very good. It is technically sound as far as I can tell and sounds like metal is supposed to. I'm a fellow musician as well and I know the feeling of "I don't like what I just made at all", it's part of what makes you strive to make something better, but can also really get in the way sometimes.

So yeah, great job! It's not the kind of music I personally listen to, but it is good none the less. :)

+1 to you

I have to ask a few questions now. :)

1.) Did you play all the parts yourself?

-I am a guitarist, yes. But I don't have a way of recording, so I use software. http://impactsoundwo...mplete-edition/

2.) What kind of instruments do you play? As well as what brand, specs, etc.

-I still own my first guitar. A black Fender Starcaster.

3.) What recording software do you use? (I personally use Pro Tools 10 as my main DAW, but Garageband for just messing around as it is a lot easier to use but doesn't have as much functionality as Pro Tools.)

-FL Studio 10 because I also don't own a MIDI controller and its piano roll is the easiest to use with a mouse/keyboard

4.) Do you ever use loops in your songs? (I've made whole songs using loops, so this isn't a bad thing IMO.)

-I've never used loops in any of my music. I'm one of those people that don't like the limitations of loops so yeah. I don't think it's a bad thing and I definitely think they're great tools for musicians, but I find them hard to work with.

Just a few minor criticisms and thoughts now...

- It could be a bit longer, although don't artificially extend it by just repeating the same thing, add some new parts.

-This was a problem I've had before, with 6-10 minute songs with artificial length.

- It could use a bass part or another instrument, right now it lacks a little bit of depth that could be solved by adding a simple track of a different instrument underneath the guitar to round out the sound and get it to be more "in your face" as metal often is.

-Great idea. It does have a bass guitar, but no soloing of it yet, because it's a basic plugin and doesn't really sound well on its own.

- that's really it, as I have already said, nice job and keep up the good work!

Oh, I almost forgot. I use XLN Audio Addictive Drums (own all expansions) and EZDrummer (own all metal-related expansions and the electronic expansion) for all of my drum programming.

hmmm... Music programming... Interesting...

It's a good music, but the start is too flat, too low. Aslo at about half of the song the same part starts again. Like what achartran said, you should add a bass part to add a bit of depth. Also sometimes add high tones, because this tends to stay too low. Ok? :)

You know, the recording isnt the best quality but only because it isn't through a board, but over (I am guessing) a mic? So it is hard to tell where your levels are at in the room you recorded in. Overall it sounds pretty tight.

I've been playing guitar and piano for 26 years, drums for 10 years and vocals since a child. I've been in the metal scene for a long time, but my roots started in punk. I eventually moved on to ambient and instrumental.

I have learned over the years that the music industry sucks more than just a little, and there are sooooooo many people in this world that deserve more of a shot in the music industry than most of the people actually doing it.

You know when you sit down and listen to a song that you have never heard and know what the next chord, and lyric is going to be, that radio sucks.

Dude i so encourage you to keep up what you are doing and forge your own path in music. Do you play lead? Or is it mostly rythm?

Post more!!!

Rock on!

You know, the recording isnt the best quality but only because it isn't through a board, but over (I am guessing) a mic? So it is hard to tell where your levels are at in the room you recorded in. Overall it sounds pretty tight.

I've been playing guitar and piano for 26 years, drums for 10 years and vocals since a child. I've been in the metal scene for a long time, but my roots started in punk. I eventually moved on to ambient and instrumental.

I have learned over the years that the music industry sucks more than just a little, and there are sooooooo many people in this world that deserve more of a shot in the music industry than most of the people actually doing it.

You know when you sit down and listen to a song that you have never heard and know what the next chord, and lyric is going to be, that radio sucks.

Dude i so encourage you to keep up what you are doing and forge your own path in music. Do you play lead? Or is it mostly rythm?

Post more!!!

Rock on!

Wow, even a guitarist for as long as you've played didn't realize it was a software guitar.

See this post for more information :D

I've been playing real guitar for about 8 months now although it's been a couple since I last played.

Here's a video of me playing guitar months ago to another song I made if you want to see my progress in playing:

I only play rhythm for now, but I'm trying to learn leads.

Not really sure what you mean by software guitar... unless you meant you recorded the guitar using software. But i knew that by reading the post you made earlier. However, whether you recorded the guitar using software or reel to reel, doesnt matter as the final quality of the recording i listen to sounds like it was recorded by the mic built into the camera. And that is what i was refering to... know what i'm sezzin?

Also, when i had initially read you had a fender starcaster i got all excited. I thought you had an original!!

I usually play stomp at bars and in the street, and classic percussion in a local marching band/classic orchestra :D

This usually goes quite well as i can use the tecniques i learn at classic things like tattoos, drum marches, movie themes and rudiments for playing on

pots, car doors, and tobacco cans (i have made myself a setup consisting of 8 cans hammered to have a whole octave of notes)

quite fun playing the glockenspiel sheet of the "champagne gallop" (a famous danish piece) with that. :P

I usually play stomp at bars and in the street, and classic percussion in a local marching band/classic orchestra :D

This usually goes quite well as i can use the tecniques i learn at classic things like tattoos, drum marches, movie themes and rudiments for playing on

pots, car doors, and tobacco cans (i have made myself a setup consisting of 8 cans hammered to have a whole octave of notes)

quite fun playing the glockenspiel sheet of the "champagne gallop" (a famous danish piece) with that. :P

Call me a nerd, but I'm in love with classical/marching band music.

Yay! Hi, fellow musician! I'm also one, too. I'm a contempory electronic musician on the label Tympanik Audio. My first album came out in 2010, and I'm almost done with my new one.

My music is over here: http://soundcloud.com/candle-nine

-snip

well, you have come to the right place my friend :D

dis (bad pun) is the champagne gallop i am talking about. a quite famous danish piece :)

But also completely unplayable normally. (seriously who the fuck writes a gallop in F# ?!?!)

i am talking up to 8 b's for a freaking tuba!!!! and the flutes dont have it much better either with those 11#.

Also the Glockenspiel/Xylophone solo, is what i like about the thing (which i also play myself)

and that pop noise is an actually buyable musical instrument purely designed

to resemble a cork being popped. (I should stop these parentheses).

(on an unrelated side note the composer died while conducting this piece).....