Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Menoch

Board Games: How much would you pay?

11 posts in this topic

As some of you may know... or not know... i have been working on a game for some 10+ years. It started out as a pen and paper rpg, and i created a prototype boardgame back in 1999. I went to a local game shop and play tested it. The shop was in an uproar. It got incredible feedback and people wanted it.

The problem back then was that to professionally reproduce a boardgame... even one... was a pricey investment... one i could not afford to make. I knew it would be a hit. But not having the money, i kept it just to play with friends.

Last year i hegan teaching myself flash and began working to try and turn this game into a computer game, but teaching myself and programing while working is sooooo time consuming.

But i found TheGameCrafter.com!

I am now back at it. I am going to (finally) produce and market my boardgame.

The question is... how much would you pay for a boardgame that promised you countless hours of fun, an ever-changing and evolving world, and you were capable of crafting the storyline each time you played it?

Think of Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman get hit headon with Runebound or Talisman... and then add Steroids.... dont know how else to explain it.

The reason i ask is that it will cost me around $85 to create just in parts.

I am probably not the best person to ask as I have never seen a board game like the one you describe, but it sounds like a better, more sandboxy board game version of Skyrim. I would pay $50 for the concept as is, but with some marketing, and stuff, you might be able to get it much higher. I wish you luck on your awesome-sounding board game. Could you describe more about the game though? When I hear that it is $85 just in freaking parts, it must be one hell of a game. So really, my $50...DON'T go by that. I really have NEVER heard or seen a board game like that. Like I said, with that part cost, it must be pretty awesome. I would like more details about the agme though, if that is fine with you. I am sure others would like the game too, as you said, it was a hit, so that is why I want the details, unless, of course, that is confidential,.

However, with your "Think of Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman get hit headon with Runebound or Talisman... and then add Steroids" , It sounds awesome, and I don't doubt you won't get your price. Good luck!

It is hard to go into the details without giving away ideas that arent yet under copyright, and i cant copyright the game without having a finished product to send to the u.s. copyright department (which i will never see again). So u see my dilema.

I can without a doubt say that it is definitely unique, has detailed gameplay elements, it is an rpg, boasts over 280 hand drawn cards, over 200 gameplay pieces including dice and pawns, and is based in an original, deeply rich fantasy world that is not only depicted in the board itself, but through various gameplay elements, including character developement. The world and the game comes to life not only visually, but also in the imagination.

It truly has to be played to be appreciated.

It should also be noted that it is not a half hour game. I have had games last anywhere from 2 to 4 hours, to having sessions carry over into multiple play sessions spanning a number of days.

I will hopefully be ready to playtest the professonally printed prototype this spring... if all goes well... and have it marketed for sale by mid summer.

I understand that the pricetag may be high, but considering the fact that 2 brand new video games go for 60 bucks a pop, i think a board game that promises incredible replayability and brings family and friends together is totally worth it... unless of course you are a Troglodyte... in which case that money may better be spent on decorating the cave...

It is hard to go into the details without giving away ideas that arent yet under copyright, and i cant copyright the game without having a finished product to send to the u.s. copyright department (which i will never see again). So u see my dilema.

I can without a doubt say that it is definitely unique, has detailed gameplay elements, it is an rpg, boasts over 280 hand drawn cards, over 200 gameplay pieces including dice and pawns, and is based in an original, deeply rich fantasy world that is not only depicted in the board itself, but through various gameplay elements, including character developement. The world and the game comes to life not only visually, but also in the imagination.

It should also be noted that it is not a half hour game. I have had games last anywhere from 2 to 4 hours, to having sessions carry over into multiple play sessions spanning a number of days.

I will hopefully be ready to playtest the professonally printed prototype this spring... if all goes well... and have it marketed for sale by mid summer.

I understand that the pricetag may be high, but considering the fact that 2 brand new video games go for 60 bucks a pop, i think a board game that promises incredible replayability and brings family and friends together is totally worth it... unless of course you are a Troglodyte... in which case that money may better be spent on decorating the cave...

That sounds amazing, I would so buy that and play it. If I could find anyone to play it with. Sadly, most of my friends and family are nowhere near as much of a nerd as I am. :P

I see. But with your assurance....I would buy that game, even if it was $85 or more. I LOVE an awesome board game, or any awesome game.

Large scale board games are commonly up into the $80 to $120 range these days. The new run of Ogre is $100 for the base box and I paid $145 for my copy of Twilight Imperium with its expansion. These are from very well established publishers, however. I can certainly see some people paying triple digits for a title like this but until you can go public to get enough orders to make serious approaches to printers, your expenses are going to eat everything.

This is one of those situations where you're going to have to make some personal investment for a shot at your dream. This TGC.com appears to be set up similar to Shapeways but I would read the fine print very carefully. There are a lot of businesses like Lulu.com where they will publish your work but in the process they end up owning it. My advice would be to reduce the costs as much as possible by using cardstock counters and such wherever possible and making as much of the product yourself as you can. Then make a stack of demo units, send one off the the copyright office and then go public with it. The remaining units can be sold or used in other game stores for marketing purposes. From there you can market the game however you like but it will likely involve a lot of leg work on your part, calling game shops to set up appointments for demonstrations and all that fun stuff. If you can get set up in time for a PAX event, I would recommend making use of the incredible audience available there.

I wish you luck in making your dream a success. I won't lie, going into business for yourself is almost always an incredibly painful experience but it can also be the most rewarding thing you will ever do.

first of all, try testing it in another town or store with a different client base, but secondly, GET THE COPYRIGHT. its incredibly easy nowadays to have this good of an idea, go to a company asking for production, and them just hijacking the idea, make sure you get the full copyright to it and have that triple copied and 1 spare on you at all times that you have the game with you too :D

Large scale board games are commonly up into the $80 to $120 range these days. The new run of Ogre is $100 for the base box and I paid $145 for my copy of Twilight Imperium with its expansion. These are from very well established publishers, however. I can certainly see some people paying triple digits for a title like this but until you can go public to get enough orders to make serious approaches to printers, your expenses are going to eat everything.

This is one of those situations where you're going to have to make some personal investment for a shot at your dream. This TGC.com appears to be set up similar to Shapeways but I would read the fine print very carefully. There are a lot of businesses like Lulu.com where they will publish your work but in the process they end up owning it. My advice would be to reduce the costs as much as possible by using cardstock counters and such wherever possible and making as much of the product yourself as you can. Then make a stack of demo units, send one off the the copyright office and then go public with it. The remaining units can be sold or used in other game stores for marketing purposes. From there you can market the game however you like but it will likely involve a lot of leg work on your part, calling game shops to set up appointments for demonstrations and all that fun stuff. If you can get set up in time for a PAX event, I would recommend making use of the incredible audience available there.

I wish you luck in making your dream a success. I won't lie, going into business for yourself is almost always an incredibly painful experience but it can also be the most rewarding thing you will ever do.

Thanks for the encouragement and for taking the time to post, Dave. You too, Killster. I will be sure to cover all of my bases from the pricey trademark to the copyright.

I do have big dreams when it comes to this, but also know that big realities also lurk in the world of business. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Don't build it yourself? Design the parts in AutoCad and get the wood-shop / iron-worker in your town to deliver you 80 pieces for $50.

If you're worried about prices, most big table-top games, like Warhammer 40k, can range up to hundreds of dollars of revenue. I've spent +$5000 building and painting my space marines for Warhammer 40k.

Don't build it yourself? Design the parts in AutoCad and get the wood-shop / iron-worker in your town to deliver you 80 pieces for $50.

If you're worried about prices, most big table-top games, like Warhammer 40k, can range up to hundreds of dollars of revenue. I've spent +$5000 building and painting my space marines for Warhammer 40k.

Man. I have seen some pretty extravagant WH 40K layouts in the past, and not only in miniatures, but in building material for terrain and structures as well. When you say you are in it for over $5k I can believe it. I think that is the only reason I never got into it.

I do like the warhammer fantsy RPG tho. At first I wasn't exactly sure what you were talking about with CAD and a blacksmith. Lol.

Thanks for your input though.

On a quick... how much time do you think in total you have spent on painting the models?

On a quick... how much time do you think in total you have spent on painting the models?

I've been buying and painting on and off the last ~6 years.