Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rook

A detailed install guide?

15 posts in this topic

Let's be flat out and honest here, installing terrafirmacraft is probably one of the top 10 frustrating things a person can go through in their life. In the past seven weeks I've gone through a major breakup, started a new semester, installed electrical lighting around the house, and tamed 3000 cats with a twig, and I'm pretty confident that trying to install this mod has been the most frustrating thing in that amount of time. Even if I've done the installation wrong and this is because of an interference with OptiFine, it's no excuse to have an install directions page that accommodates the intelligence of an ape and has the usefulness of broken toe nail clippers, or by the fact that I actually have to go hunting for a legitimate instructions guide.

The installation guide on the main site absolutely sucks. It's generally a good idea to update your install instructions every 6 months at least. The instructions "install forge" and "install player api" aren't exactly helpful in the slightest. What would actually be useful would be to include the version numbers of forge and player API that works with the latest build of TFC, and the version of minecraft that it's required to run on.

I have a copy of MC 1.4.6 which only has OptiFine on it, I have no other copies. I installed Forge .486 and PlayerAPI 1.4.6 1.3. I have build 75 in my mods folder. When I start up minecraft, it just sits on a black screen, I stopped waiting after about 10 minutes. Yes, I have deleted META-INF.

The only reason I even persist in trying to get this god-forsaken thing to run is because I got it to work a long time ago via some miracle. I should probably cut off my left leg and sacrifice it to the software gods asking for another miracle. Nobody will play this mod with this level of carelessness in user friendliness, and they certainly wont be donating any money, they'll probably need it to pay for therapy that ensues this whole painful process.

TFC's install directions are easy... Step 1. place TFC zip file in the mods folder. Step 2....... Step 3 profit :D. The install instructions for the various mod dependencies are located on their respective websites. But anyway, the basic steps are.

Build 75:

1. Start with a clean 1.4.6 .minecraft directory.

2. Download forge .486 and player API.

3. Extract the contents of these mods into your .minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar. (Forge first to avoid problems)

4. Delete META-INF folder inside your .minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar file.

5. Start minecraft to be sure forge and player API are correctly installed. (You will see a FML loading screen open up, telling you its setting up the environment, and can verify on the main menu that the mods are loaded)

6. place TFC and your other mod files into your .minecraft/mods folder.

7. Enjoy TFC.

There are other ways to install this mod, using MultiMC, or MagicLauncher. Several of us here have also made tools which install the mods for you, but generally you shouldnt need them.

2. Download forge .486 and player API.

Which version of Player API is recommended?

My build is currently using 1.3 Universal

I have a copy of MC 1.4.6 which only has OptiFine on it, I have no other copies. I installed Forge .486 and PlayerAPI 1.4.6 1.3.

You have installed Forge AFTER you have installed your Optifine? So, please go back to Start and don't take 200 Bucks!

Version of PlayerAPI makes no difference - have used TFC b75 with 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 successful...

Installing TFC is really simple - and the install-instructions says absolute clearly:

Download

TFC Beta Build 75 For MC v1.4.6

(Built using Forge 6.5.0.486)

So, why you're saying, that there are no hints on what MC- & Forge-Version TFC is built on?

When I start up minecraft, it just sits on a black screen, I stopped waiting after about 10 minutes.

Oh yeah - and it's also TFCs fault, that you are sitting there 10 minutes - picking your nose - instead of have a look for the crash-log?

Also if you are not able to read it - you could post it here, so we (we all, that were able to install the mod - most of us without greater problems...) can say to you, what you've done wrong...

But NO! You prefer to get upset for some reason, that you have probably (I would bet on) done wrong just by ignoring some instruction. It's weird that ALWAYS all others are to blame but NEVER yourself... ^^

...they'll probably need it to pay for therapy that ensues this whole painful process.

Well, well - great tones from someone who's not able to read what stands directly in front of his nose... -.-'

Oh yeah - and it's also TFCs fault, that you are sitting there 10 minutes - picking your nose - instead of have a look for the crash-log?

I did read the crash-log. Here is a full manifest of everything that was in ForgeModLoader-client-19.log: (the one before I fixed it)

2013-01-11 17:50:13 [INFO] [ForgeModLoader] Forge Mod Loader version 4.6.15.514 for Minecraft 1.4.6 loading2013-01-11 17:50:13 [FINEST] [ForgeModLoader] All core mods are successfully located2013-01-11 17:50:13 [FINEST] [ForgeModLoader] Discovering coremods2013-01-11 17:50:13 [FINEST]

The crash log did many favors when helping me troubleshoot the problem. I am so happy that I had checked this else I would've still been utterly confused what was wrong.

Well, well - great tones from someone who's not able to read what stands directly in front of his nose... -.-'

I read the website's install directions thoroughly, which is probably why I was extremely confused. The directions probably would've done better had they said "download our crap and figure it out". It would've saved me some time. Normally I'd prefer to rely on a developers official instructions, but this time they didn't seem to work. From now on I will follow the instructions made by shady fans in sketchy boards who use outdated smile faces such as " -.-' ". Thank you for this great proverbial life lesson.

I'm really sorry for using this outdated version of a smiley but I didn't knew of one that is saying:

"Slap you face until you learn at least the base-mechanics of a proper manner."

And while you're still here - and I really hope, that isn't for long - here comes another lesson from a shady guy who likes sketchy things, because he simply has the needed intelligence to understand most of things, even when they are not quite complete. I give you a well meant advice:

Before getting into an 'alternative reality' of a computer game - first go, get yourself some life!

And also ask you parents why they have forgotten to told you some base rules of etiquette - seems there is quite a lot of pent-up demand...

AAAAAND....

Just think about, if being an ass really is the best tactic if you nee help from others. Just think a second...

..... would've saved me some time. Normally I'd prefer to rely on a developers official instructions, but this time they didn't seem to work. ..... sketchy boards who use outdated smile faces such as " -.-' ". .....

1. You do know that this MOD is in it's development stage, and we get to play it anyway because the DEVs are awesome?

2. You do know that this (your so called sketchy) board is the TFC community, where we help each other, and help the devs develop something really cool?

3. In this community (your so called sketchy board), i have not seen any problem not being tended to, and in the end getting solved.

4. I found a solution to your problem, that works just fine, and is also very simple, on this forum using only one search try....even my signature has a few.

5. ....outdated smile faces....seriously...seriously

Saying that, i hope you find your place in this community anyway.

And before you start throwing stuff around when you hit a problem...take your time, get educated, ask politely, try a few things out and enjoy the process of learning something new.

...anyway, what would life be without the challenges we have to, or choose to, deal with every now and then...

-snip-

I find it difficult to take lessons on intelligence from a person who has to number their points instead of paraphrasing like an educated young man. Ellipses

( ... ) are meant to exclude information from a quote from a work of literary text, not to simulate a pause in reading. That's what commas ( , ) are for.

-snip-

It's generally pretty hypocritical to talk about someone else's manners when yours have degraded to the point of threats of bodily harm, insulting my use of free time, and criticizing my natural born ability to comprehend things. You also seem to have problems using ellipses, maybe you "lack the intelligence to understand most of things".

You also seem to have problems using ellipses, maybe you "lack the intelligence to understand most of things".

Just a moment - let me see... Nope, it's saying 'no lack of intelligence' - well, I'm sorry - but you're wrong. :rolleyes:

(condescending smiley from the 'modern' sort - just to make some ellipses)

And if you have problems with the way I write - you're invited to talk to me in MY natural language, then we'll see!

Narcissistic bastard!

Hyphens ( - ) are used to separate or join syllables of a word. Not entire words. Also there are no spaces between the syllables and the words, and you used that ellipses wrong.

We're both speaking one language. English. I'm simply better at it than you.

Hyphens ( - ) are used to separate or join syllables of a word. Not entire words. Also there are no spaces between the syllables and the words, and you used that ellipses wrong.

We're both speaking one language. English. I'm simply better at it than you.

The more you post on these forums the more I realise that you're just a pathetically bad troll.

you're just a pathetically bad troll.

I get disappointed when people say this. It's literally equivalent to "I cannot handle thought process on your level, therefore you must be a troll".

I'm sorry rook, but if you truly want people to help you, don't insult them. People assume your smart enough to know that, so when you do insult them while asking for help, they think your just trying to be annoying.

You know, im not defending rook here but, I didnt go off on the guy because I know that getting hung up on something stupid like installing a mod, when all you want to do is just play it, can be very frustrating. I assumed that Rook typically ISNT as big of a douche as he presented himself in his first post, just angry and frustrated. IMHO, lurking the forum looking for posts like Rooks where the poster says or does rude things in responce to frustration is much more so an act of trolling than acting like a 10 year old in your post. Yes Rook introduced himself in a profoundly stupid and rude matter, but the more experienced of us here on the forums could simply have ignored him, rather than creating this rather stupid flaming thread.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0