Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhineasWynd

Forest Spirits/Deku Tree

8 posts in this topic

Inspired by a post on the Hidden Stuff topic by Nopkar.

• Basically, a rare, dungeon-like, forest biome, with a Spirit Tree/ Deku Tree somewhere in the middle of it.
  • The Spirit Tree doesn't like people, and if you chop down trees or leaves in the biome, it could attack you by:

• Shooting branches at you (Kinda like spears that spawn randomly).
  • Spawning moving tree monsters (Might take a while to code*)
  • Growing brambles/roots around you, damaging you (cactus-like), and restricting your movement.
  • Make creaking tree noises (More Psychological, but remember when those cave sounds scared the shit out of you?*)
  • Probably a lot more ideas that I can't think of.
  • You could find the Spirit Tree and give it gifts to appease it, and it might allow you to chop down a couple of its trees / leaves.
  • The sticks and wood could give a buff to the things made from them (To make braving the wrath of the forest or trying to find the Spirit Tree and give it gifts worth it)
  • The Spirit Tree itself could give amazing wood, but it would have to be a boss-battle to kill it.
  • Ideas for extra effects in the area:

• Increased tree growth and size
  • Leaves regenerate quickly
  • Thick undergrowth
  • Brambles, thorns, strangling vines (Basically things that passively kill you)
  • Mobs - slimes, snakes, giant insects, etc. (I know mobs are the hardest thing to ask to make*)
  • General Ambient creepiness - Ambient Darkness (the trees block out more light?), Fog, fireflies, the noises :D, bats, eyes glowing through the darkness, etc.
Actually, I don't know that it would have to have its own separate biome - maybe the Spirit Tree could just be generated somewhere, and the effects happen in an area around it.

For Dunk/Bioxx

I am definitely willing to make creaking sounds and/or models - I'm a semi-professional sound artist and 3D modeller, and I'm willing to help make stuff for this worthy mod, if you'll have me. I realise this is your project, and you might feel uncomfortable letting some new guy who just decided to stop lurking recently help.

^_^

Inspired by a post on the Hidden Stuff topic by Nopkar.

• Basically, a rare, dungeon-like, forest biome, with a Spirit Tree/ Deku Tree somewhere in the middle of it.
  • The Spirit Tree doesn't like people, and if you chop down trees or leaves in the biome, it could attack you by:

• Shooting branches at you (Kinda like spears that spawn randomly).
  • Spawning moving tree monsters (Might take a while to code*)
  • Growing brambles/roots around you, damaging you (cactus-like), and restricting your movement.
  • Make creaking tree noises (More Psychological, but remember when those cave sounds scared the shit out of you?*)
  • Probably a lot more ideas that I can't think of.
  • You could find the Spirit Tree and give it gifts to appease it, and it might allow you to chop down a couple of its trees / leaves.
  • The sticks and wood could give a buff to the things made from them (To make braving the wrath of the forest or trying to find the Spirit Tree and give it gifts worth it)
  • The Spirit Tree itself could give amazing wood, but it would have to be a boss-battle to kill it.
  • Ideas for extra effects in the area:

• Increased tree growth and size
  • Leaves regenerate quickly
  • Thick undergrowth
  • Brambles, thorns, strangling vines (Basically things that passively kill you)
  • Mobs - slimes, snakes, giant insects, etc. (I know mobs are the hardest thing to ask to make*)
  • General Ambient creepiness - Ambient Darkness (the trees block out more light?), Fog, fireflies, the noises :D, bats, eyes glowing through the darkness, etc.
Actually, I don't know that it would have to have its own separate biome - maybe the Spirit Tree could just be generated somewhere, and the effects happen in an area around it.
Issue is that adding in dungeons isn't a priority for Dunk, he's focusing on bug fixes, and I believe Bioxx and Dunk don't want this to turn into an RPG, I mean the crypts wouldn't function as full fledged dungeons, its a good idea but I don't see it getting in the mod at any point.

This is a very well thought out idea bud but remember what Dunk said? There isn't gonna be any overhaul updates like this in TFC1. Once TFC2 is out, and all the important stuff is done like animals, crypts, terrain generation, construction, and all that good stuff THEN maybe the devs will add the epic fantasy stuff like the dragon in my sig or the new and overhauled nether or the overhauled end.

I think that the best fantasy weaved with non-fantasy so you can't tell where one of them ends and another starts, so this should be done altogether - crypts, animals, fantasy beings, terrain and the like.

Probably that's exactly how stuff works in TFC development.

yeah this seems all a bit too fantastical to work here, although i do like the thoughts of having brambles in the thicker woodlands to Minecraftia, i always thought they needed more undergrowth and the like, forests right now are a bit too much like plains with a bunch of trees dropped into them

This is a very well thought out idea bud but remember what Dunk said? There isn't gonna be any overhaul updates like this in TFC1. Once TFC2 is out, and all the important stuff is done like animals, crypts, terrain generation, construction, and all that good stuff THEN maybe the devs will add the epic fantasy stuff like the dragon in my sig or the new and overhauled nether or the overhauled end.

I didn't know this was a suggestion board for just TFC1? I didn't say I want it right now, I'm just suggesting for the future.

Even just a creepy forest biome, with brambles and thorns, and ambient creepiness would be nice.

I think that the best fantasy weaved with non-fantasy so you can't tell where one of them ends and another starts, so this should be done altogether - crypts, animals, fantasy beings, terrain and the like.

Probably that's exactly how stuff works in TFC development.

Yeah I agree that fantasy should be blended in - are you saying that this is too fantastical? Or if it's implemented it should be weaved?

I think as fantasy goes, a dark forest with ambient noises, which subtly punishes you for invading isn't too fantastical :P

yeah this seems all a bit too fantastical to work here, although i do like the thoughts of having brambles in the thicker woodlands to Minecraftia, i always thought they needed more undergrowth and the like, forests right now are a bit too much like plains with a bunch of trees dropped into them

The only real problem I've had with TFC is that there isn't anything to encourage exploring except getting the next metal for tools/armour, which only gives you an increase in durability/defence. In other words, virtual numbers. No offence :P

I'd like there to be sidetracks, not just the same slog for ores.

I'd like there to be sidetracks, not just the same slog for ores.

I too would like for many a cool thing to be added to tfc, but one thing to keep in mind when handed a game without a plot (per say) and that is a wide open sandbox world, is that you are given the tools you are given, and YOU make the story.

It doesn't just have to be about the ore. What about farming? What about horticulture? What about creating your own Cityscape or town or hillside vista?

I often marvel at how I can start with a tiny little hovel, survive a night, get an ingot, and then BAM! my mind is going a mile a minute and I can't keep up with it.

I have created some pretty wondrous things all in survival mode... have dreamed my own "what if's" and had the paste scared out of me in the deep-darks of some stalactite encrusted cave networks.

The point is that when you stop trying to find the fantastic in your world, and you stop striving to build your way to awesome heights, all it really becomes is just another ore hunt...

Or just another farm quest....

The suggestion is great, dude. Don't be disheartened. Tfc is in Beta.

And that includes the Much Anticipated TFC2

That was beautiful Menoch...

You turned me.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0