Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vagabond

Suggestions By Vagabond

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

As this is my first post, I'd like to say hello to everyone. Hi. I would also like to thank Kittychanley for helping me out in IRC, and making a note to Bioxx (I believe it was) whom accepted me onto the forum due to website issues.

Suggestion 1: A stone pickaxe (or maybe just use the stone hammer, since that is all a stone "pickaxe" really was). The stone pickaxe wouldn't be used to mine for ores or anything like that, but just used for minor terraforming, which would only yeild gravel when a stone block is broken with it. Stoneage cultures beat rocks against rocks in order to alter the features of the stone instead of mining it in search of ore. This wouldn't really give you blocks of stone, but little tiny pieces of waste, or what we call gravel.

Suggestion 2: A chisel. Used to alter the appearance of a placed or naturally occuring stone block. Just for asthetic purposes.

Suggestion 3: Cob/adobe/mudbrick/rammed earth type bricks. Building material we can use in the stone age to make use of gravel, clay, sand, and water.

Suggestion 4: Log stairs. Just very basic stairs that use logs and clay (as a binder) to produce a rough luxury, no tools needed aside from a shovel to dig up clay, and an axe to chop a tree down.

Suggestion 5: Cups, raincollector/toughs to get a drink of water instead of just jumping into the nearest body of water :D (Idea from BetterSurvival mod by Nokiaman)

Suggestion 6: Not sure how I feel about this one myself, as it is kind of annoying, but at the same time, I think things might go to fast if it didn't stay the way it is...But when you chop down a tree, why not get the sticks and saplings that you might normally get if you wacked all the leaves off first? Takes quite awhile to blast all the leaves off to get sticks and saplings. Then it takes awhile to chop it down. I just feel like a logger killing the rain forests when I don't wack all the leaves off first for saplings.

As a side note, "Fire-setting" might be something to look into. It was a mining practice that used fires to heat the stone to high temperatures then douse it with water to cause it to fracture from thermal shock, making it easier to mine. Might help to conserve your tools. /shrug

Thats all for now, having a great time with this mod!

Cheers,

Michael

#1. Something other than gravel would need to be the result, since gravel can be used in sluices to gather ore, a mechanic that is already slightly overpowered.

#2. Chisels are already in game. http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Chisel

#3. 1.6 has added hardened clay, it's simply a matter of implementing it into TFC.

#5. Glass bottles can be filled with water from any source and drinking from them replenishes a fair amount of thirst.

#6. The main reason that saplings and sticks don't drop when you chop down the tree is the sheer volume you would end up with after clearing a small area. Once you have metal tools, you can make a scythe to make gathering easier when you need saplings for tree farms.

#1. Something other than gravel would need to be the result, since gravel can be used in sluices to gather ore, a mechanic that is already slightly overpowered.

#2. Chisels are already in game. http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Chisel

#3. 1.6 has added hardened clay, it's simply a matter of implementing it into TFC.

#5. Glass bottles can be filled with water from any source and drinking from them replenishes a fair amount of thirst.

#6. The main reason that saplings and sticks don't drop when you chop down the tree is the sheer volume you would end up with after clearing a small area. Once you have metal tools, you can make a scythe to make gathering easier when you need saplings for tree farms.

Hello,

#1) Didn't think about using that to exploit sluices, perhaps a block called "Stone Chips" or something.

#2) Don't get chisels 'till you get metal, and I kinda like the stone age! Stone Chisel with limited functionality is what I was getting at. Only able to alter inworld stone blocks.

#5) Wouldn't it be coooool to have a cup though? Every one takes cups for granted. A waterskin would be cool too, using hide and thread (two things you get early on and that I haven't found any use for since I haven't gotten to the tanning mechanics)

#6) Yea, that is why I was iffy about the suggestion myself. It just would make my life a lot easier since I don't make permanent houses or beds. I like to play as a semi-nomadic hunter-gatherer, because once you have a bed and/or a place to hide at night, you lose a lot of the early game survivor elements.

Right now I am camped in this natural crevice in the mountain face working tier 0 metal into bricks by night, and gathering wood and cracking stones by day. I've almost clear cut this area though and due to my survivor-status, I don't have the luxury of smashing all the leaves off trees so I can replant them before I move on to the next area.

I've scouted into the next territory and it seems to be a fertile plain with a lot of different veggies and stuff growing on it. I'll be able to include veggies into my diet and maybe collect some seeds for a farm I can return to at the end of each growing season (in time to harvest).

A stone-age pickaxe (antler or animal bone) isn't COMPLETELY off the table, but it would probably on be useful for breaking stone blocks *slightly* faster than a bare fist, so you can move that stone anvil back to your base. 

Stone-age chisels will not be a thing.

Mud-bricks are planned in b77, although they haven't been coded yet, so I can't say much more

Everything else has been pretty much answered well.

A stone-age pickaxe (antler or animal bone) isn't COMPLETELY off the table, but it would probably on be useful for breaking stone blocks *slightly* faster than a bare fist, so you can move that stone anvil back to your base. 

Stone-age chisels will not be a thing.

Mud-bricks are planned in b77, although they haven't been coded yet, so I can't say much more

Everything else has been pretty much answered well.

Hello,

Sounds good. I only made the suggestion for the stoneage pickaxe and chisel after some research to see if it was even plausible; I was sure they were, as most megalithic structures pre-date metal tools and were made from stone chisels, hammers, and picks made of hard stone such as basalt and dolerite. The tools themselves were often used in conjunction with fire-setting techniques (starting a fire next to or on the rock you want to work) in order to create fissures via thermal shock.

Thanks for you time.

Cheers,

Michael

I just stopped reading this topic.  play the game for a few months and THEN make some suggestions.  Its like a critic watching a movie half way and then critiquing it.