Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Tsuarok

Enchantments and Alloys

9 posts in this topic

I have an idea to bring enchanting back to the game, inspired in part by the meal system of "potion" brewing.

Now that there are many possible ratios of ores that produce the same alloys, I propose that specific ratios, determined by the seed, produce enchantments.  

The ratios could be set up to require very large amounts of starting material so as to make experimentation expensive (and thus something more focused on endgame).

For example, Black Bronze requires:

50-70% copper

10-25% silver

10-25% gold

but to produce efficiency II, it might require exactly:

69%copper

14% silver

17% gold

Other ratios would produce other enchantments, and other alloys would have their own ratios, again determined by the seed.

That makes sense and can work. But how would player know if it makes enchantment or not? Does he make the tool? Keep in mind, current system doesn't keep track of proportions, so you technically should get enchanted ingots or something of the sort.

Other enchantments outside of efficiency and unbreaking aren't believable as well, are you suggesting just not using them? And, I can understand copper not having it, but what about iron and steel?.

I agree that enchanted ingots would be best.

As far as the believability, meals can provide water breathing and such, and, I mean, we fight zombies... I think any of the standard enchantments would be fine. Though I'd be okay if some were excluded.

As for unalloyed metals, I'd just skip them. There are plenty of choices for alloys that are as good or better; I don't think it would matter that much to miss the pures.

I'd rather have also simple efficiency 1 enchant with sharpening stones or something. Might bite 5% durability but it's faster and sharper now. Faster pickaxe, faster scythe, sharper knife.

You won't get a faster pickaxe with a sharpening stone - you need something with a blade. And other bladed tools aren't greatly benefit from this either, especially stuff like scythes and knives (knives benefit damage-wise). Axe - maybe, but you'd still generally want more durability - it's no vanilla, where you have to cut every block individually.

I'd rather have also simple efficiency 1 enchant with sharpening stones or something. Might bite 5% durability but it's faster and sharper now. Faster pickaxe, faster scythe, sharper knife.

I feel like this would make the enchantment too easily accessible. I also don't think it makes very much sense. If they reduced efficiency with durability a sharpening stone might be used to recover lost speed, but as it is it seems to me that the tools must come presharpened for them to function at all. And I don't think having to constantly rehone your tools would add to the game.What I want is to capture that spirit of discovery that meals have, while giving a reason to use all that ore one tends to collect toward the end of the metal progression.

Cool suggestion. just this: What if your batch of black bronze only makes efficiency II? How would you make armor or weapons with it? Anointing ingots with herbs or certain ointments should enchant the ingots

Anointing ingots with herbs or certain ointments should enchant the ingots

That would be alchemy. In current suggestion enchantments are an alloy property.

Cool suggestion. just this: What if your batch of black bronze only makes efficiency II? How would you make armor or weapons with it? 

I'd way we translate efficiency to appropriate encantments armor or weapon would have.

Let's say Efficiency II for ingot means Efficiency II for tool, Sharpness II for weapons (though there's a problem, because this is worthless in TFC and should be rebalanced properly) and a set of Protection II and Projective Protection II for armor. Unbreaking is a universal enchantment, obviously.

There whould be some enchantments that do not transfer to some of the item types. For example, Silk touch (if we even let this in the system, as it is unbalances rock collection process) means Silk touch for tools, Looting for weapons and nothing for armor. Whereas Fire aspect means nothing for tools, Fire Aspect for weapons and Fire Protection for armor.

- Knockback is applied only on tools and weapons (some of which do used for fighting).

- Blast protection left out (current TFC armor doesn't protect from the blasts at all, so I see it as appropriate).

- Stuff like feather falling, water breathing, aqua affinity is not included in the system at all.

There is actually a problem. For regular bronze alloying boundaries are so narrow you can't spit and not get some enchantment of your ingot - out of 15 variants we have 5 possible enchantments, and that's only with one level for each one of those. Higher level alloys are better off with that, but still - bronze is broken. What can we do to make it normal again? Do we cross out everything aside first two levels of Efficiency and Unbreaking? Or do we change the rules so bronze level alloys can only have level one enchantments (other tier 2 alloys are here for consistency), while higher tier alloys can go as high as level two for black steel and level three for red/blue steel (highest tiers are fine having so many enchantments because trying to alloy those are enormously expensive and can be rewarded in such a way).

Cool suggestion. just this: What if your batch of black bronze only makes efficiency II? How would you make armor or weapons with it? Anointing ingots with herbs or certain ointments should enchant the ingots

My original idea was that items made with inappropriate enchantments would just be normal weapons.  However...

That would be alchemy. In current suggestion enchantments are an alloy property.

I'd way we translate efficiency to appropriate encantments armor or weapon would have.

Let's say Efficiency II for ingot means Efficiency II for tool, Sharpness II for weapons (though there's a problem, because this is worthless in TFC and should be rebalanced properly) and a set of Protection II and Projective Protection II for armor. Unbreaking is a universal enchantment, obviously.

There whould be some enchantments that do not transfer to some of the item types. For example, Silk touch (if we even let this in the system, as it is unbalances rock collection process) means Silk touch for tools, Looting for weapons and nothing for armor. Whereas Fire aspect means nothing for tools, Fire Aspect for weapons and Fire Protection for armor.

- Knockback is applied only on tools and weapons (some of which do used for fighting).

- Blast protection left out (current TFC armor doesn't protect from the basts at all, so I see it as appropriate).

- Stuff like feather falling, water breathing, aqua affinity is not included in the system at all.

There is actually a problem. For regular bronze alloying boundaries are so narrow you can't spit and not get some enchantment of your ingot - out of 15 variants we have 5 possible enchantments, and that's only with one level for each one of those. Higher level alloys are better off with that, but still - bronze is broken. What can we do to make it normal again? Do we cross out everything aside first two levels of Efficiency and Unbreaking? Or do we change the rules so bronze level alloys can only have level one enchantments (other tier 2 alloys are here for consistency), while higher tier alloys can go as high as level two for black steel and level three for red/blue steel (highest tiers are fine having so many enchantments because trying to alloy those are enormously expensive and can be rewarded in such a way).

... due to the otherwise high probability of encountering an enchantment I believe this equivalency idea may be more appropriate.

Another idea is to require percentages that necessitate the use of nuggets (if you can even mix nuggets and ores).  This would simultaneously provide a greater challenge as well as making sluices useful again.

I also agree with the idea of requiring higher tier alloys for higher tier enchantments and a re-balancing of sharpness. 

Great suggestions guys, thanks for the input.   :)