Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
PaoloEmilio

Animals, Sicknesses and more

8 posts in this topic

Hello people of TerraFirmaCraft!

Here is my big suggestion page:

Animals:

Regarding sheep:

It seems that sheep are likely to spawn in mountains. I deducted that is because sheep has wool coating so they hang out in cold temperatures. But then, why the first people to grow sheep were Hebrews, Egyptians and Assyrians? I think there could be sheep in plains just like the cows. And also, sheep should be able to be milked.

Regarding cows:

I know you dont want the ability to milk sheep because then cows would be useless. Two things, pigs are actually useless (they give meat and leather, just like cows and sheep) But if you insist, you could make male cows usable for ploughs in order to plow more land in less time or for transport carts.

Regarding chickens:

Just like in vanilla, chickens are the only animals that yield feathers. That is no good, because they are rare and you can't enter the iron age without a feather. Either increase their chance of spawn. (I've roamed temperate forests and found none) or add other animals that yield feathers, like ducks, geese, eagles or pigeons.

Replacement of monsters with wild animals:

Forgive if I seem insistent with this, but, if TFC is about believability/realism (I think they mean the same), why the dead raise back to life (zombies), why skeletons move, why green dicks explode (creepers), why there are people with such a height and dark skin that can teleport (endermen) and why are spiders sooo big? I think they should be all erased (all but spider if its size can be decreased).

If you like challenge and will miss the monsters if they are erased, that has a solution! Replace them with dangerous, man eating wild animals, that are neutral at day and hostile at night, or in dark environments (Unless hungry). You should add savannah biome, with yellow grass and acacia trees. Cows, zebras (possible variety of TFC horse) lions and giraffes can spawn there.

Lions: Spawn in savannas near the equator, will eat herbivore animals. (Just like wolves do with sheep) Will also be hostile in day.

Tigers: Spawn in jungles, will eat herbivore animals, tougher than lion, but rarer. Can spawn in white tiger variety. Will also be hostile in day.

Bears: (These are coded in the game but doesn't spawn yet) Spawn in boreal forests, temperate forests, and taiga. Will attack deer.

Rats: Spawn everywhere in deep dark places, like caves. Attacks player and small animals (Like all farm animals but cows).

Scorpions: Spawn in deserts. Small, like the possible reduced size of spiders.

Mosquitos: Spawn in jungles or swamps, humid places. The entity of mosquitoes itself isnt a single mosquito, but a cluster of them (Maybe not). To take mosquitos away, simply light a fire, in forges, firepits, candles (extrafirma), torches. There could also be jungle plants with essence that repels mosquitos away.

Snakes: Spawn in jungles, deserts, and very rarely on plains. They can come in some varieties, like pythons, cobras, vipers, anacondas, rattlesnakes, and boas, If one bites the player, depending of the variety, may poison it. Some varieties can be more poisonous than others. And the poison of snakes could be reinforced with a strong hit when there is only some health remaining, so that it's poison kills. Snakes can be lured and trapped with using milk in a bowl as bait.

Next, other animals that could be added:

Bees: Bee hives spawn in trees. If you punch the hive a cluster of bees will go out to attack you. But somehow you can harness and domesticate bees, I don't know much about apiculture so thats up to the devs. You can do apiculture and grow your bees. The honey could be mixed with milk to make honey milk, which if consumed can heal hunger. (From a glass bottle, and milk could also be consumed from glass bottles and heal hunger too, but less than honeymilk. Mead could also be made. To make mead, fill a barrel with water, and put a bucket of honey in it. It will say honeywater. Seal it and then you should have mead. (Like milk, and curdled milk that gives cheese.)

Goat: Gives milk, wool, hide and meat just like sheep.

Wild counterparts for animals would be good too, like

-Boars for Pigs, neutral, will attack if attacked

-BIsons, Buffalos for Cows, will panic and flee if attacked

-Sheep and Chickens would remain equal, but chickens would flee from player unless he/she carries grains

To tame these animals, feed them with grains, just like bones with a wolf. However farm animals recognize no owner, as dogs do. And they could be rightclicked to be carried, only one, nd shift rightclick to place them back.

In the end, sicknesses won't be added due to the disgusting reaction of some people.

My next suggestions aren't mentioned in the title

Siege weapons: War machines could be interesting in the ancient themed environment of TFC. Burning glasses or burning lens were used to send sunrays to catch enemies on fire. Other good ones could be the catapult and the battering ram. To build a catapult use wood planks to build each piece. (The wheels, the "spoon" and everything else). Once you ensemble the pieces you should have a decent catapult to throw stone and blow up your enemy's constructions without using gunpowder. It could not be used at mining because it's large size. A catapult throws stone rocks. As for the battering ram, it is crafted with three logs and a triangle of wooden planks above. Battering rams are good for breaking down walls and doors. To move siege weapons rightclick them and you will ride it like a boat or minecart and move it in slow speed. As for the catapult, a light beam can be used to mark the place the catapult will shoot. To throw a stone with the catapult or push with the ram press space. To dismount shift right click.

Wine: Wine can be made with grapes. Once you found grapes, you can grow them in vineyards. With trellis, grapes will grow eventually so you will harvest them. Grapes can be eaten or crafted into wine. To craft grapes into wine, first put them in the crafting table. It will give the loose grapes (without the stick in the top). Then place them over a special wooden recipient for crushing grapes. And jump and walk over the grapes until they liquify. Mobs could also do that if they walk over the grapes many times. To harvest the grape juice, use a bucket. Place the grape juice in a barrel and seal it. Maybe fruit liquors like mimosa or cherry wines can be made in this way. Get the fruit juice in the bucket and fill a barrel with it just before sealing it. This doesn't work with bananas and olives. However, crushing olives make olive oil, that could be used in meals.

Ice cream: Who doesn't like ice cream? It was made before with the use of fruit and snow from mountains! (Or cold places or winter snow). To get ice cream, craft a snowball with any fruit juice. Snowballs should also be obtainable by breaking snow caps. To eat the ice cream, use a bowl.

The balancing point of pigs that makes them useful is that they have so many offspring. They are purely livestock meant for butchering.

Dunk already has been talking about plans for adding another bird and source of feathers to the game for balancing reasons.

Monsters will always be a part of TFC as a throwback/reminder that it is a mod for Minecraft, and not a game all on its own. However, it is planned for hostile "natural" animals to roam the surface, and for the vanilla monsters to inhabit the crypts, caves and dungeons below. (*Bears actually do spawn already, they're just rare) Aurochs, boars and mountain rams probably won't be initially aggressive towards players, since they are not carnivores, but they will eventually fight back if they feel threatened/harmed. My guess is that it will be some sort of lunging/ramming attack that deals collision damage. Birds will probably just run away, unless geese are added (those suckers are ruthless!)

Considering the decision made by Dunk and Bioxx that neither of them will ever code poop or manure in TFC, I would say it is a very good bet that urine will never be an aspect of the game either. The developers see this game as a pet project; something they can take to their families and say "Look what I have done!" Because of this, taboo topics like feces, urine, detailed "disgusting" sicknesses and anatomically correct animal models (genitalia) are not things that the devs are comfortable coding into the mod.

Keep in mind that this is a game, it isn't actually real life. Simplified aspects like a poison affect are enough to add character to the gameplay, but having players catch sicknesses such as AIDs, malaria, dengue and leprosy where it is obviously mimicking the real life diseases is taking things a little too far.

My bad, and it's true. It seems too disgusting to much people, I'll edit the post to erase that part. But why to tell everyone it is a Minecraft mod by keeping vanilla monsters? I prefer to call TFC a game, sincerely, but it's ok then :( . Tell me what about siege weapons, wine and ice cream. (Note to self: Even if I am brave and can withstand almost anything, I should know what is grossy to most people)

Hmm, I like The hostile animals and wine/fruit alcohol part, and ice cream(well, since it's ice and fruit juice, sherbet would be more correct, but...)

But I think what the mod makers have in mind for the monsters are better than just getting rid of them.

Making them only spawn in caves will make caves more dangerous, than the surface(armor, long-range), and also, cave animals are small, usually blind, and not that dangerous, unless you are a bug or the cave has bacterial things making poison gas.

So I think having wild animals on the surface and monsters underground will be fine. Unless you want falling/cave-ins to be the only danger in caves.

I'd like getting sick from eating raw food/drinking untreated water/mosquito sting/etc, Like when you are sick, your hunger/thirst depletes faster, you cant move as fast, you're slower and do less damage.etc.

Hostile animals should be divided into 2 groups. nocturnal, and diurnal. So you have danger day and night, but from different animals.

All animals should be 'wild' at first, then when 'tamed' they should give birth to domesticated animals. wild animals should give less drops than domesticated animals.

It's not a deduction from their wool coats that sheep live in mountains. They like... ACTUALLY lived in mountains (not even shitting you here). The middle east has many mountains. And as kitty said, pigs are for butchering. Animals give birth to real-life numbers of babies, so sheep have 1-3 babies, cows have 1 and pigs have 8-12. Pigs are for slaughtering because the number of babies is so high, however cheese is a source of food without having to slaughter the cow, making a single female cow able to produce food indefinitely. 

b78 has horses, so plowing fields with oxen and not horses just seems weird.

Horses can be used too, but I think oxen should do the heavy work, and horses should be for transporting people and speed.

It's not a deduction from their wool coats that sheep live in mountains. They like... ACTUALLY lived in mountains (not even shitting you here). The middle east has many mountains. And as kitty said, pigs are for butchering. Animals give birth to real-life numbers of babies, so sheep have 1-3 babies, cows have 1 and pigs have 8-12. Pigs are for slaughtering because the number of babies is so high, however cheese is a source of food without having to slaughter the cow, making a single female cow able to produce food indefinitely. 

True... middle east has a lot of mountains... I researched and found out the Zagros Mountains, the Sinai, the "Horns of Hattin", and even Jerusalem has a mountain in it. The mount of Sion. And with the plough...

Horses can be used too, but I think oxen should do the heavy work, and horses should be for transporting people and speed.

Horses could be faster, but less efficient. Oxen would do the heavy work.

Horses were generally more precious animal in families, and, considering the fact that horse isn't as good at hard work due to its low endurance, it's a great mistake to use many breeds of horses to plow as it basially "wastes" the animal. Oxen, on the other hand, are a bit cheaper and aren't "wasted" as fast. 

That said there were horses bred for exact purpose of plowing and pulling.