Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AllenWL

Explosives, a use for gunpowder.

72 posts in this topic

I think we should have some more explosives in TFC. So far, the only think that explode is creepers, and powder kegs(aka, barrel full of powder), and the kegs take 4 stacks of powder, and have a freakishly huge blast radius, making them mostly useless unless, as getting a controlled blast is imposiible, and unless you're planning on leaving huge craters everywhere, or blowing up someones base, you rarely use them. And the only use for gunpowder is a powder keg, so gunpowder is rarely used. But we have a crafting recipe for it. So I think we should be able to make more explosives.

I think a few, hand-held explosives and mining charges would be a nice addition.

I think there could be 2 types of explosives, hand-held, and mining

A hand-held will be cheaper to make, and it'll be thrown. It will not destroy much blocks, only weak things like snow, leaves, grass, glass, etc

A mining explosive will be of block form, ignited by a redstone charge or flint and steel, it'll have stronger explosions and be able to destroy blocks.

For hand-helds

To make a hand- held, first make a bomb-case, made by 4 of the marital, in a circular shape, and a string in a corner

Ex:   S C X   S= string

C X C  C= casing(marital)

X C X   X=empty space

Then, add gunpowder(could be done by crafting, or opening an inventory/gui by shift-clicking)

The more powder you add, the more powerful

1. paper bomb.

made with paper

Small radius and power, could be used to deter and slow, but not very useful.

Holds up to 16 gumpowder

Cheap and can be easily mass-produced.

2. leather bomb

made with leather

big radius, but somewhat weak. Can slow/harm large groups

Holds up to 32 gunpowder

Good for defense, or clearing out large areas

3. metal bomb

Made using metal sheets

Medium radius, but strong. Can easily dispatch medium-large groups

holds up to 64 powder

When exploding, sends out sharpinal in all directions. The higer tier metal ,the more sharpinal.

Mining explosives break blocks, and can be used in terraforming, demoliton, blast mining, etc

They work like powder kegs, and require a set amount of powder before you can detonate it.

1. Dynamite.

Crafted with fireclay and gunpowder, it has a base blastpower of the vanilla tnt

No extra powder needed, add up to 2 stacks to triple the power

10% item loss. 5%chance of cave-ins

2. Mining charge

Crafted by a U of planks with a dynamite in the bottom, like a barrel crafting, except the bottom middle slot is dynamite

Needs a stack of gunpowder minimum. up to 4 stacks can be put in.

Has a 'shaped explosion' mostly detonating what is in 'front' of it (faces away from player when placed). may have damage in other places but not as much. 1/5 blast of powder kegs, up to 4/5 powder of powder kegs on max powder input

5%Item loss, 10% chance of cave-ins

3. Steel explosive

Made of black steel double plates in a all outer slots, like the chest recipe.

Needs 8 stacks of explosives to detonate, up to 16 stacks can be put in for maximum blast range

Blast radius twice the size of powder kegs on minimum gunpowder. Up to 4 times the blast of powder kegs

60~70% itemloss, 50~60% chance of cave-ins

(the percentage is just of my head. If you think a certain percentage is better, tell me! :))

I like the mining charge one, It would be nice to be able to have more controlled explosions

yeah, this mining charges are interesting!

I would like more control, like bigger reach as you imput more gunpowder

yeah, this mining charges are interesting!

I would like more control, like bigger reach as you imput more gunpowder

Yea, that would be nice... hmmm.

I felt that for something that has a crafting recipe and is a only drop from creepers, gunpowder was more useless than rotten flesh(unless you like greifing and giant craters).

The explosion of a powder keg is too big and uneven to be fully utilized, and is uncontrollable.

yes, a bigger powder input... hmmm

anyone else want more controlled explosives?

Many of us do, I think that if we are going to have powder kegs, we might as well have smaller more controlled explosives. 

Yeah, i really think that we need a use for gunpowder in mining

In actuallity, most mining IS done with explosives and mining charges, drills and picks were really only used to dig pilot holes for said explosives

Back in the time frame of Tfc picks and shovels were it. Explosives didn't really come into mining applications till much more modern times. But since we have an abundance of powder, we may as well make the barrels able to be used for mining.

Possibly make it able to detonate will less than a full load and have a radius based on this

Back in the time frame of Tfc picks and shovels were it. Explosives didn't really come into mining applications till much more modern times. But since we have an abundance of powder, we may as well make the barrels able to be used for mining.

Possibly make it able to detonate will less than a full load and have a radius based on this

apparently, explosives where first used in mining at 1627.

But I think it will be believable in-game, and really quite useful.

I use lots of tnt myself for digging out mineshafts, breaking down large buildings, and getting rid of unwanted mountains.

If used properly and well-controlled, explosives can be a really useful terraforming/mining tool, and you don't leave ugly craters(unless you want to leave craters), unlike what some people seem to believe.

On top of being quicker, it lets us save our picks for ores and precise-measurement jobs, and really, digging a 1,000~ meter mine by hand isn't really all that believable, you know?

(personally, in the 'beliveablility chart, I rate 'mining using explosives in the middle ages' above 'digging a giant mine alone, by hand')

(personally, in the 'beliveablility chart, I rate 'mining using explosives in the middle ages' above 'digging a giant mine alone, by hand')

Ever watch Shawshank Redemption? Although you have a point, but we should make explosives a science, not a place and done like many mods in the past that add explosives. A great mod doesnt answer all the problems with an end all solution, thats no fun. A great mod adds challenges, but also tools to alway the players to conquer them with their own creative way.

Ever watch Shawshank Redemption? Although you have a point, but we should make explosives a science, not a place and done like many mods in the past that add explosives. A great mod doesnt answer all the problems with an end all solution, thats no fun. A great mod adds challenges, but also tools to alway the players to conquer them with their own creative way.

Nope, but I agree with you, nothing like players rushing for the end-game stuff that makes everything useless that puts down a game.

I think explosives should have a bigger chance of cave-ins or something. That would be nice.

Also make support beams more useful(really, does anyone even use them?)

Also make support beams more useful(really, does anyone even use them?)

The proper use of support beams has become almost a requirement in B78. Cobble will fall sideways as well as down (like dirt) for better cave-ins, and if you happen to get caught in a collapse, there is a very high probability that it will be instant death. A collapse can also break support beams now if they aren't used properly (e.g. too far apart). Collapses are now also going to take the ore with them, and destroy it. Gone are the days of caving in all of the stone around a vein to better expose it.

The proper use of support beams has become almost a requirement in B78. Cobble will fall sideways as well as down (like dirt) for better cave-ins, and if you happen to get caught in a collapse, there is a very high probability that it will be instant death. A collapse can also break support beams now if they aren't used properly (e.g. too far apart). Collapses are now also going to take the ore with them, and destroy it. Gone are the days of caving in all of the stone around a vein to better expose it.

Then it would suck if you were digging out ore and there happened to be a cave below the ore vein.

Death, plus losing all ores...

if explosives where more controllable, but, made you lose most of the blocks you break, and had a high chance of cave-ins, would anyone still use them?

They sure would Allen. Aiming to collapse peoples mines and punch holes in castle walls. I do use TNT in non-TFC for clearing dirt or other large underground structures. It saves time and an ingot of iron or two.Controlling the force of the blast with the quantity of powder in the barrel would definitely give the player enough control to use them for mining. And save on the amount of different items and crafting recipes needed to create. It would also keep the resource cost low.And if you could ignite the kegs with a trail of gunpowder instead of redstone it would be a delightful experience.

Tactical cave-ins ftw

They sure would Allen. Aiming to collapse peoples mines and punch holes in castle walls. I do use TNT in non-TFC for clearing dirt or other large underground structures. It saves time and an ingot of iron or two.Controlling the force of the blast with the quantity of powder in the barrel would definitely give the player enough control to use them for mining. And save on the amount of different items and crafting recipes needed to create. It would also keep the resource cost low.And if you could ignite the kegs with a trail of gunpowder instead of redstone it would be a delightful experience.

Tactical cave-ins ftw

Place a steel explosive or two(or three) below a town and detonate?

More like a few dozen. No kill like over kill. Enough to level the town but leave the area useable.

More like a few dozen. No kill like over kill. Enough to level the town but leave the area useable.

well, I was thinking that a steel bomb has the blast power of 2~4x the powered keg, and a few dozen(12) would be about 24~48 ish, soo...

Basically, blast power of 48~152 powder kegs. A powder keg has radius of 10~64, approx, so a crater with the radius of roughly 480~8728 blocks.

Uh... I don't really know about usable, but defiantly leveled. yep, defiantly. Razed to ground(and past) that town will be

Well usable as a land fill. and you don't spread them out, you stack them. That way you can take out towers. (they should make building affected by cave ins) {sappers away!!}

Well usable as a land fill. and you don't spread them out, you stack them. That way you can take out towers. (they should make building affected by cave ins) {sappers away!!}

Oh, that gives an idea....

New thread posting time!

Lol

It seems that cave-ins will now take ores with them as well.

So this means that when you use explosives and you hit a ore vein, there is a good chance on the vein getting wiped out as well....

Anyways, I find that most of the conversation has been focused on the mining explosives, how controlled they would be, the pros and cons, etc.

But what about the hand-held explosives?

I like having diverse weapons on hand, and not just swords.

While TFC has knives, swords, javelins, maces, and bows, I feel like the weapons are all similar more or less.

Knives are more of a tool then weapons, I personally find maces and swords the same(other then the ingot cost),

and javelins are basically like bows with shorter range that can be used for close range combat with only one ammo.

I think having hand-held explosives would add to the diversity of weaponry and fighting tactics.

While a explosive is one-use, and takes lots of things make, it's a wide-range weapon, with a AOE attack.

It will enable you to take out sizable amounts of foes at once, and it could give you way to overcome a number disadvantage.

Also, having a weapon with a timer, the ability to bounce of walls, and one that could hurt  you as well will open up more tactics. You could bonce a bomb round a corner, meaning you can attack without facing your enemy, even inside buildings(a bow/javelin allowed some limited ways of combat without exposing yourself, but it was tricky, and only worked if you had no roof).

You would have to plan whether you can use it safely,if ti's too dangerous to use, or if you can risk it. It means while attacking, you would have to be wary of your surroundings or a well-hidden bomber can take out a large chunk of your group. It would give you a way to quickly finish off large amounts of mobs, and so on.

I feel one of the reasons on why combat is 'don better gear and spam attacks' is because there is no big diversity to how weapons are used. having more weapons with different usages and abilities could help out a lot, and it could build different 'classes' of fighters that use different gear and fight in different ways

Considering the time period, hand held explosives for use in combat would only really be balanced if there was a relatively high rate that the thing exploded in your hand and killed you when you try to throw it.

how bout once every 5 turns for paper(20%), once every 4 times for leather(25%), and once every 3 times for metal(30%)?

Also, a leather bomb can have a short fuse(I don't know how t explain this. shoddy crafting?),

a paper one can have a chance to explode every second after being thrown(paper catches on fire from fuse),

and a metal one has a chance of being  'dud'(metal stops the force of the explosion, giving little to no damage)