Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
tyriael-soban

Large tracts of nothing...

6 posts in this topic

As the title would state, im finding increasing amounts of just open ocean on a recently generated map, ive travelled due south with a little deviation along the way to explore for land masses - the only ones i have come across have been tiny sandbars with a little dirt topping them for over 5 kilometers now, ive found boulders, but no surface rocks. (ie the ones you break to get nuggets etc) if i travel in a northeasterly direction, the landmass has gone on for 2 km or more (i have not travelled out as far as id like in the week this world has existed, because of a bug in reis minimap causing it to fail to record waypoints they would vanish upon leaving the world.) - and has been littered with deposits of nothing more than saph and tetrahedrite, i have found 1 deposit of bismuth and 1 deposit of cassiterite, but since travelling in a southerly direction from that location i havnt actually got a hit on any underwater ores either.So anyway, my question is; does TFC generate landmasses as a ... continental mass? or am i simply getting really crappy worlds that are mostly ocean and sandbars?

You're just getting really bad seeds. TFC does indeed generate continental masses, or at least extremely large islands. It is possible however, that you will need to cross oceans and find other large land masses in order to find every ore and mineral in the game.

Sounds like bad luck, mate. Generate a few worlds in creative mode and see what you get. If you like the look of one, use the seed for survival mode.

In my single player game, I began on a good-sized island with a couple small ones around it. Like you did, I sailed on one direction (North in my case) and found nothing. Then I went south and found a rather large continent. However, I have been able to find a lot of good ore veins, plants, and animals just on the island, so I don't really need to explore the continent very much right now. I wouldn't stress too much, as long as you can find enough basic resources to get your homestead going and can start mining.

There's always 10-15 kiloblock-wide ocean in the world somewhere, no seed can change that. I remember perfectly clear all the times I went exploring those, semi-fruitlessly boating for in-game weeks.

What you can get - is a bit larger landmass from the start. This comes, from what I can tell, from the fact that default biome for generation is ocean, all the rest is a deviation from default

As reference: a pregenerated map (approx 30000 x 44000) from the crococraft server (map will go live this weekend). You can easily see why the oceans feel so huge:

For an interactive google maps like experience: http://www.crococraft.com/index.php/server-map

Posted Image