Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TomatoThief

Fire-Setting, Explosives, Cobblestone

4 posts in this topic

Three related suggestions, I'll work backwards:

Cobblestone

One cobblestone block is nothing more than four loose rocks stacked together. You should harvest one cobble block by hand in the same or faster time as thatch. It should be even faster with a shovel and/or pick, on par with shoveling gravel.

Explosives

Forget about Vanilla blast radius mechanics, which I understand are difficult to modify. Devise new explosive recipes. When detonated, they could trigger a mechanic similar to cave-in propagation. Instead of destroying raw stone, they should be fractured into cobblestone (like a cave-in). Ore bearing rocks should either be unaffected by the blast, or have a significantly reduced chance of being "cobbled". Combined with the above change to cobblestone, this would allow you to fracture a large area of raw stone, then harvest the resulting cobble by hand or shove/pick quickly.

Fire-Setting

Fire-Setting is an actual prehistoric method of mining. A fire is lit next to a stone wall, causing thermal expansion. The wall is then doused with water for rapid cooling which causes the rock face to fracture. If implemented, I propose ignoring the water, especially since there is some evidence it had minimal or no effect on fracturing. In TFC, this would be a stone-age low range explosive-over-time controlled by the existing firepit. I would recommend a fracture area equal to the 3x3 horizontal plane centered on the pit, and two units high (3x2x3), with no fracturing below the firepit. The initial 3 sticks should be enough to at least fracture a portion of this area, with the addition of logs guaranteeing full coverage, or possibly expanding the range of effect (perhaps dependent on log type/heat). 

I like the weakening of walls with thermal shock

cobble could just be changed to rock piles like log piles, this would allow you to pick it up quickly by hand and may also allow for ores to be dropped into the rock pile that you would have to dig out. Though if this happened I would lobby for increased capacity as cobble would then be a viable form of rock storage and 4 rocks per pile would be far too few

Three related suggestions, I'll work backwards:

Cobblestone

One cobblestone block is nothing more than four loose rocks stacked together. You should harvest one cobble block by hand in the same or faster time as thatch. It should be even faster with a shovel and/or pick, on par with shoveling gravel.

Explosives

Forget about Vanilla blast radius mechanics, which I understand are difficult to modify. Devise new explosive recipes. When detonated, they could trigger a mechanic similar to cave-in propagation. Instead of destroying raw stone, they should be fractured into cobblestone (like a cave-in). Ore bearing rocks should either be unaffected by the blast, or have a significantly reduced chance of being "cobbled". Combined with the above change to cobblestone, this would allow you to fracture a large area of raw stone, then harvest the resulting cobble by hand or shove/pick quickly.

Fire-Setting

Fire-Setting is an actual prehistoric method of mining. A fire is lit next to a stone wall, causing thermal expansion. The wall is then doused with water for rapid cooling which causes the rock face to fracture. If implemented, I propose ignoring the water, especially since there is some evidence it had minimal or no effect on fracturing. In TFC, this would be a stone-age low range explosive-over-time controlled by the existing firepit. I would recommend a fracture area equal to the 3x3 horizontal plane centered on the pit, and two units high (3x2x3), with no fracturing below the firepit. The initial 3 sticks should be enough to at least fracture a portion of this area, with the addition of logs guaranteeing full coverage, or possibly expanding the range of effect (perhaps dependent on log type/heat). 

Cobblestone-not to bad. I think you might have something. But all in all the way cobblestone is atm works fine

Explosives-What? Cave'ins yeah i can see that. but um well ore rocks don't "cobble" they just break

Fire-Setting-Mining would still be faster the going though that. That all mining isnt meant to be something you do in the stone age. Thats why you have pans and surface ore.