Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
jacob4408

Ambient Sounds

7 posts in this topic

One thing I've noticed is that the world seems very...sterile because there are no ambient sounds. Unless you are near animals or flowing water or in a thunderstorm there is only silence.  Adding just a few noises that occasionally played would really bring the world to life.  Some simple examples: wind, creaking limbs, birds, crickets, rustling grass, water splash (as if a fish or frog had jumped), squirrel bark (but only the non tomato thieving kind of course ;)), seagull and/or waves near ocean.

Ambient sound is commonly overlooked but it can add incredible depth and life to a game for a relatively small coding investment.  If you've ever played Skyrim with the ambient sound mods then you know just how much difference a few sounds can make.

Probably one of the better return on investment suggestions out there, great idea.

I fully agree, but I DO believe that vanilla will be adding this at some point. If it isn't part of the next version, then I certainly don't think ambient sounds would go amiss, assuming they only play when you're near a source, rather than being permanent-yet-occasional background noise like the music

I'd like some, if it'll be not overly intrusive. Gentle sound of some small stream, a bit of rustling among bigger amount of trees. I'd tie it with WIP wildlife, too - once we get more animals, they could make some sound sin the background. Birds in the trees and so on.Thus, I'd agree that all those sounds should have a source, rather than be randomly played.

There is this rather old post about Matmos.  This could be a nice place to start for an updated configuration file...nudge,nudge, ;)  ;)

Like Demodus stated, MAtmos already does this. You just need to take Kreicus' configuration file and tweak it as necessary.

I wasn't aware of the MAtmos mod.  I'm somewhat new to using mods and have been leery of conflicts so I only run TFC.  I will give MAtmos a try.  Thanks.