Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buzzy613

Bones to Lime

9 posts in this topic

Currently bones are near useless, being used only occaisionally for tool handles.  In addition, in this mod bones are dropped from every peaceful mob as well as skelletons, making them more plentiful.  In light of this I would propose a use for them.

Flux is a rather important material for progression in the game, but it aquisition is wholly dependent on the mercies of the worldgen god.  It seems to me, from its uses and the fact that it is obtained from limestone and marble, that Flux is a stand-in for lime. 

IRL, lime can be obtained by burning bones.  I propose this be added to Terrafirmacraft, in such a manner that burning bones in a firepit (or perhaps a kiln?) would produce Flux, or lime.  I do not believe it would significantly change the balance of the game, as skeletons are very difficult to kill early on and peaceful mobs difficult to find.  It would merely make it possible (ie not easy) to make bricks/ weld/make leather in the event that one spawns no where near fluxstone.

Thank you for your time.

While I could contest the point about availability of bones (depending on world and player's luck, one can gather a plenty of them) it would improve gameplay rather than disturb it, even if only a bit (as I never found limestone or marble to be particularly rare).

However. It may be me lacking some common knowledge or ability to seek it but I were not aware of burning bones at any time in the history in production of lime in quantities allowing widespread use - not debating the fact the lime was used, since a lone time, it's just it was lime acquired otherwise. I also couldn't find information about how much lime that can be used in regular industry can be extracted from a bone, if any. I'd like to request help with finding relevant info especially since I am concerned that it may very well be that you cannot extract enough lime even from a stack of bones to get anywhere, thus making this feature not very fitting.

After a quick google session, I found burning limestone to processes lime, but not burning bones for lime.

That said, I would like a way to get flux without finding fluxstone, as like said by op, it's totally dependent on world-gen and can result to being stuck in the bronze-age and never having leather until you find that fluxstone layer.

bones may be included as part of fertilizer. Of the basic chemicals that plants need to grow, sylvite (the current fertilizer source) is the main source of the third most important nutrient. The first is nitrogen, usually supplied by manure or compost, and the second is provided commercially from apatite (which many of you may know from other mods). Apatite, (more correctly called hydroxyapatite or hydroxylapatite) is a common mineral found in the earth but also just happens to be the major inorganic material in bone (ie non-marrow or cell related), and so would make a fine addition to fertilizer.

In other news, your body grew a badass rock statue to hold your meat together.

Visitor and AllenWL:

I would refer you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_ash, which states: "Bone ash is a white material produced by the calcination of bones. Typical bone ash consists of about 55.82% calcium oxide, 42.39% phosphorus pentoxide, and 1.79% water."

Calcination is the burning process used to get lime from limestone, and calcium oxide is another name for lime.  Visitor, I doubt use of this was ever widespread, but it was known of in ancient times, as is evidenced by references to burning bones for lime in the Old Testament of the Bible.

Dunk:  Glad to hear bones may get a use.  Any idea if this fertilizer will affect tree growth at all?

Visitor and AllenWL:

I would refer you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_ash, which states: "Bone ash is a white material produced by the calcination of bones. Typical bone ash consists of about 55.82% calcium oxide, 42.39% phosphorus pentoxide, and 1.79% water."

Calcination is the burning process used to get lime from limestone, and calcium oxide is another name for lime.  Visitor, I doubt use of this was ever widespread, but it was known of in ancient times, as is evidenced by references to burning bones for lime in the Old Testament of the Bible.

Dunk:  Glad to hear bones may get a use.  Any idea if this fertilizer will affect tree growth at all?

trees grow rather quickly already

"Bone ash is a white material produced by the calcination of bones. Typical bone ash consists of about 55.82% calcium oxide, 42.39% phosphorus pentoxide, and 1.79% water."

Well then, I have no problems with the idea.

But how will we burn the bones?

I'm thinking 'cooking' bonemeal in a firepit/forge or a charcoal pit-like structure made with

'bone piles' of some sort would be nice

Nah, just throw the bones on a fire, they'll be fine. Hell, you could even heat up some metal for a sword or something while you wait.

...oh wait...

Posted Image

AllenWL:  I'm thinking a kiln of some sort would be better, as lime is generally made in kilns irl.  Maybe put bones in a pot and cook in pit kiln?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0