Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Papa_Pagan

Ambitious thoughts

15 posts in this topic

Hi ya'll I'm new to the forums but have been playing terra firma craft off and on for the past year I would say. Last night I had an epiphany last night about harvesting meat, bones,and hides from animals. So basically my idea is upon killing the animal it lays over on its side and you have to right or left click on the now deceased animal a certain number of times in order to first remove the hide the repeat the process to remove the meat and bones from the carcass. Also what is the general consensus on smoking meats as a form of preservation. I believe as this game promotes realism these ideas should be taken into consideration if it is possible to be implemented

this have been discussed to death in the suggestion sub, and while it is a neat idea, the tick it will produce will kill most PCs so the consensus was on no.

why not see the corpses like a entities, like a chest that contains bones, an hide and pieces of meat that decay. Does it create that much ticks? I'm not sure to understand.

why not see the corpses like a entities, like a chest that contains bones, an hide and pieces of meat that decay. Does it create that much ticks? I'm not sure to understand.

Yes these would still be ticking, because TFC added decay in build 78. So all of the meat in the corpse, even if it was in something like a chest, has to keep ticking to update and rot away.

well, if that's the issue, wouldn't a single ticking carcass be preferable to dozens of individually-ticking chunks of meat? I'm not sure this change would be worthwhile regardless of feasibility, just not clear why it's not feasible from the comments here so far. There'd have to be some reason besides "it's neat" to justify the effort involved in implementing this feature for it to be worthwhile, regardless. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning that it's unfeasible because of tick overhead.

Just trying to understand this.

I kill a deer and suddenly I have 10 pieces of meat bones and hide floating where the deer was. All that meat has decaying so hence the ticks.

What would be the difference if the meat and bone were inside a carcass? You have the same amount of items. As soon as you pick all the items the carcass would disappear. The same way as the deer disappeared when killed.

I can understand the confusion. Items don't actually do the rotting tick until they are contained in some sort of inventory. While they are floating there on the ground, they aren't actually ticking except for the standard despawn timer. That's why when you go to pick meat that you left in an unloaded chunk for a long time, it quickly decays away to nothing in your hand.

I can understand the confusion. Items don't actually do the rotting tick until they are contained in some sort of inventory. While they are floating there on the ground, they aren't actually ticking except for the standard despawn timer. That's why when you go to pick meat that you left in an unloaded chunk for a long time, it quickly decays away to nothing in your hand.

Could a carcass be sort of "timeless"?  Like a container in which ticks do not occur beyond the original spawning?

As others have said, I'm not convinced of the value of the addition, but it seems like workarounds should be possible...

A timeless carcass would be a carcass that doesn't decay

If the carcass was a single ticking entity that had to be manually carved with a knife, the meat could be created at the equivalent decay level of the carcass

And its probably a good idea to point out that players can wait 3-4 minutes before picking up the meat to delay decay

This isn't true. At the exact instant that the food item is created in the world, it receives a time-stamp. Once 24 hours have passed in-game from that time-stamp, the food starts to decay.

Edit: You can tell in-game that this is the case because you can kill an animal, then walk away without picking up the meat and unload the chunks. You can come back to these unloaded chunks real-life days later, but as soon as you finally pick that meat up off the ground, it realizes how much time has actually passed, and quickly decays to catch up, essentially rotting away in your hands.

I should have tested that before posting. It was an obvious exploit

That being said, can time stamps be transfered?

If a time stamped carcass could transfer its time stamp to meat when carved, wouldn't that allow a decaying non-ticking corpse?

Technically speaking, yes that is possible. However, it doesn't seem like a very good way to implement the feature. As it currently stands, when you kill an animal and you don't want the meat, you can just let the items despawn. If there were non-ticking carcasses, the landscape could potentially be littered with them on heavily populated servers. The only believable way to get rid of them would be to harvest all of the meat from the carcass, but if the meat is already beyond the expiration date, it would just rot away to nothing the second that you butchered it. If the carcass itself is actually ticking, then as soon as all the meat would be rotted away, the carcass disappears and is no longer an eyesore on the server.

Ok so what if the carcass had the same despawn timer that the floating meat have now? And I don't think it needs to be a longer time. Once we start butchering the animal the meat (as an item) would be created. As far as the carcass all it has is a marker for how many more units of meat it can produce but they would all have the initial time stamp. Like the meat is created on demand.

I think is important to remember that aggressive animals are being added to the Mod. It would be an idea if they were attracted by carcass so going back for a second trip would not be advisable.

I'm not sure if this discussion is still going on, but I lave the Idea! Maybe you would have to skin the animal with a knife, as well?

A ticking carcass isn't the worst thing in the world. For starters, each carcass starts as an animal, which have a lot more upkeep than a carcass would. You're not creating anymore entities than the world would have naturally, and carcasses wouldn't last forever either. Eventually, they'd rot to nothing.