Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pyrocantaes

Can't place vertical support beams more than 2 high

11 posts in this topic

Version #:79.6SSP/SMP (Single/MultiPlayer): Multiplayer (Darkcraft Server)Suggested Name: Can't place support beamsSuggested Category: SevereDescription:

Using Douglas fir support beams..

Can only place if I can't place if I can see the top of a beam .. this means that for beams of more than 2 high you have to jump to place the 3rd beam, and if the "hole" into which you wish to place the beam is 4 high you're stuffed.

mining in chalk..

You can't even mine the block on the opposite side of the corridor to the beam i.e block x below (for a 2x1 corridor)

RCR BPx

RCR

Any collapse destroys the beams and you can't then shore up the roof because you can't place beams without being able to see the top of the beam.

Also doesn't appear to be any "Safe" zone ..

Have you deleted your config files and are still able to reproduce this bug?: No - vanilla install and not changed!Do you have any mods other than Forge and TFC installed?: YesIf yes, which mods? TFC NEI Plugin, NEI, Fastcraft, Journeymap, Smart Moving

I'm sorry, but I didn't understand a word of what you are trying to say.

Could you please provide screenshots of exactly what is wrong?

Pyrocantaes is reporting that it is a bug that you can only place support beams on the bottom face of a block (I'm not sure if its actually a bug, but that is what Pyrocantaes is reporting)

The rest of the message seems to be describing how it is difficult it is to place 4 block tall support beams

The only placing by clicking on the "floor" is intentional behavior. It should also be noted that the vertical support beams place 3 at a time as long as you have them in your inventory, and you aren't holding Shift.

I'm not quite sure what is so difficult about placing 4 block tall beams. Place the set of 3 with a single click, then pillar up and place the 4th one on top. You should always be able to see the top of the 3rd beam if you are trying to place a 4th one, because there is no point in placing a 4 block tall beam unless you already have the ceiling cleared out to put the horizontals next to where the 4th one is going.

Sorry .. "beams place 3 at a time as long as you have them in your inventory" ..

So having a stack of 32 in my inventory and right clicking places 3? sorry only places 1..

So due to a cave in I have a 3 high gap above my head and a 4 high gap to the left.. the cave in having broken the 2 beams that were there previously supposedly supporting the ceiling of my 2x1 tunnel .. I now need to place 4 vertical beams in the gap to support the ceiling  .. can't pillar up to it.... and don't really want to, the ceiling is just fine as it is.. I just want to support it.

Stop sneaking when you are placing the beam, and then it should place 3 instead of 1.

You also need to be placing horizontal beams connecting your pillars if you want any sort of support. Just having the single vertical poles isn't going to stop anything.

1) I'm not Sneaking ... no shift key involved

2) How are you supposed to place horizontals IF having placed a vertical you CAN'T even cut another channel for another vertical 2 blocks away because placing the first vertical gives no support!

Ok, #1 is a bug with forge versions. Please make sure that both your client, and the server that you are playing on is using 1217 and not 1219. The support beams are actually placing 3 at a time, but the top 2 are invisible if you have the wrong version of forge installed.

I'm really going to need a screenshot of your dilemma for #2, because I really can't see how that is happening if you are digging a proper mineshaft.

Before digging any stone, place 2 verticals, and a horizontal against the wall you wish to dig into.

post-3005-0-15768900-1413106312_thumb.pn

post-3005-0-91512800-1413106317_thumb.pn

You can now safely dig 4 blocks into the wall with no risk of collapse.

post-3005-0-35761300-1413106321_thumb.pn

Place another set of vertical and horizontal beams.

post-3005-0-78631500-1413106324_thumb.pn

Rinse and repeat.

Sorry I don't have an infiinte supply of copper/bismuth/sphalerite/casserterite to make tools. Having barely scrapped enough copper for 300 units, saw, pick, pro-pick, and every where being chalk for 1000 blocks radius .. copper has to be down..that's at least 40 blocks through the chalk plus whatever I need to locate the deposit plus enough to at least be able to replace the pick in the first place..

Therefore I need to dig as small a tunnel as possible to locate the copper before my single pickaxe wears out..

The more I learn about Build 79 the more inclined I am to stay on Build 78 or stop playing TFC for another 2 years or so..

It seems we have similar, but exactly opposite situations. You're surrounded by chalk, but have very little copper. I'm surrounded by basalt, and more copper than I could ever dream of using. I had to walk 5k blocks west to find chalk so that I could make an anvil. If the region you're in is low on a mineral you need, consider going on an expedition to find what you're missing. Or, if you know copper can be found in rock layer deep below you, go caving and see if you can't find a natural accessway to the lower layers.