Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deez

Wooden Arrows

6 posts in this topic

Since flint is so valuable in a multiplayer environment, I propose that an alternative recipe for arrows to be added. They should only really require a stick and a feather, and possibly a knife or something to widdle one end into a point.

um where have you gotten your info? there is a reason wooden arrows were practicaly never used, for one they break practicaly on contack barely penetrating the skin, they are often dull which means that most never even penetrated the skin. and due to the light nature of wood, they would be impossible to control, first there is the need for counter balancing, then there is the fact that to counter balance a wooden arrow would require the arrow to be nearly twice its length which leaves to much room for flaws, bends and other imperfections for it to even be feasible. i suggest instead that we keep the current arrow recipie but also add a way to make metal arrow heads, maybe even metal bows and metal sticks to use for fully metal arrown and crossbow bolts, thus creating more ways of getting arrows and not making it too overly easy. also most tiny shapped metal objects take alot of skill to make so making tinyt things like arrowheads and nauls should take atleast alot of hammering, maybe 2 stages if you can figure out how it would be done, possibly breaking ingots up into Metal Bits?

Yeah the wooden ones are just the first tier really. Wooden arrows will be replaced by stone, replaced by metals, and yeah.

why not make a new tool called "arrow heads" can be crafted out of iron or so and has a 100 uses together with 1 stick, 1 feather.

how about they just add fletching? the skill of creating arrows and bows?

um where have you gotten your info? there is a reason wooden arrows were practicaly never used, for one they break practicaly on contack barely penetrating the skin, they are often dull which means that most never even penetrated the skin. and due to the light nature of wood, they would be impossible to control, first there is the need for counter balancing, then there is the fact that to counter balance a wooden arrow would require the arrow to be nearly twice its length which leaves to much room for flaws, bends and other imperfections for it to even be feasible.

Sorry man but

1) Never used - Wrong, we have no way of telling this for the same reason we cant tell what type of wood all those ancient arrow heads were attached to, they degrade the stone arrow head is all that is left and that is what we find.

2) Break on contact barely penetrating the skin - Wrong again. Headless but sharpened arrows penetrate about an inch or so less than one with the common broad arrowhead we all know and love. What is different here is the size of the wound however. Wooden arrows leave a fairly small entry wound that would reduce the chance of a creature dying because of bleeding or bleeding that much at all really. THis is where the headed arrows do have an advantage.

3) Do not penetrate skin - See above in general but for point of consideration it takes like what, 1-2 pounds of force to break human skin? most animals we would hunt might take a bit more but not a large amount (We make and strengthen leather from their skin, but it is not found that strong while the creature is alive :))

4) and due to the light nature of wood, they would be impossible to control, first there is the need for counter balancing, then there is the fact that to counter balance a wooden arrow would require the arrow to be nearly twice its length which leaves to much room for flaws, bends and other imperfections for it to even be feasible.

This is along one but ultimately the one that made me write this response. Arrowheads are very small and very light. Even a large arrowhead is measured in ounces at most. Compared to the shaft of the arrow the head is marginal and is why arrows these days can be refitted with different heads and such with out you needing to do anything to the shafts. As for making them longer, well I have never heard of that. The arrows are sized to the bows and the pull on it, they are not a specific length just because of the head they have on them (note I said Just because of the head :)). Lengthening the arrows would not be required.

Now, overall a headed arrow is more likely to lead to the death of the target over time as opposed to wooden arrows because of the wound size. This however is an overkill analysis for the realm of Minecraft and TFCraft in general. Wooden arrows sound like a valid option to me and would require the flint tool on to a carving knife (Which you can see on the wiki we already have art for) in order to craft them. This would yield slightly less damaging arrows (maybe it would take 1-2 more wooden ones) overall. I am -NOT- suggesting that we get wooden arrows in place of metal tipped arrows. Things need to progress through the tiers and that includes metal arrowheads. But an alternate when Flint is just a rare resource is not a bad idea either.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0