Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TriforceOfKirby

Server average tick time issues

7 posts in this topic

I'm having issues with the average tick time being around 8-20 ms which results in the server saying that it can't keep up and sometimes timing players out. The server only has 3 players including myself, and the PC I'm running it on is pretty high end(specs can be viewed here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VtgknQ). I tried messing with the startup script to see if I can improve it, I turned the GUI on so I could monitor average tick speed, and tried changing RAM allocation as well as adding AggressiveOpts and ParallelGCThreads options. I decided to only allocate 1 GB of memory because it never used more than 250 MB according to the GUI; I can allocate more if it helps as I have 16 GB.

So I'm not sure what's causing it exactly, any help would be appreciated.

Java Version: 1.8.0_45 64-bit

Server Startup Script: java -jar -server -Xms1G -Xmx1G -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:ParallelGCThreads=12 forge_server.jar nogui

Mods: Forge 10.13.3.1428, TerraFirmaCraft 0.79.18.673, FastCraft 1.21

Try increasing Xmx to 2G. Downgrading forge to the version TFC was built on may also be helpful, since you are currently using the latest, but not the recommended version of forge.

You can also try out this string of arguments:

-Xmn1G -Xms2G -Xmx2G -XX:NewSize=512M -XX:SurvivorRatio=2 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -d64 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+AggressiveOpts

ParallelGCThreads should be set to the number of threads that your processor can handle. So for example a quadcore would have a value of 4, but a quadcore that supports hyperthreading would have a value of 8. Not sure where you got 12 from.

So I downgraded Forge and used those JVM arguments, and it still jumps up to around 11-12 ms with just me idling at spawn. The world was just created yesterday and we are still in the stone age, so we don't really have much as far as the world goes. Although it did go down from 8 ms to .1 ms with no one on there, so there is some improvement.

I would say that anywhere between 10-15 is pretty average when it comes to running TFC, since it is such a resource intensive mod. As for the timing out, that more likely has to do with internet connection than the processing power of the server. An occasional "Can't keep up!" message is normal, and you can ignore it unless it says it is skipping a ridiculous number of ticks.

Installing and running Opis may also help you track down what's causing the issue. Clients do not have to install this in order to join the server. Just an OP who wants to use it.

Perhaps the server is running out of memory still? 2GB like Kitty recommended should be fine for just 3 players, but you could try increasing it to 4GB and see if that makes any difference. More than 4GB really shouldn't be necessary for 3 players. If it is then there is probably something else wrong.

A tick time of 20ms should not lag at all. Anything below 50ms per tick should be perfectly fine, especially on your hardware. Did you update your OS recently? If not do the following from a command prompt:

sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get upgrade

Ok, it seems fine now. I had it on 4 GB originally, but then I noticed the usage was very low so I reduced it. I don't know why internet connectivity would be an issue, since I'm using localhost and the other person is using LAN(same house), we have 10 Mbit/s internet. The third person lives like 7 km away(probably has the same ISP), but wasn't on at the time that it started to time out players.

I run updates once a day so that shouldn't be an issue either. I'll try Opis if I have any more problems with timing out.