Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bsb23

Bsb23's Enchantment Document

46 posts in this topic

I finally finished,I apologize for the wait, I had become sidetracked with the whole metadata idea. It was to big to paste or attach to this page so here is the link...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rFWVhxhG0DPLFrW_02Ds7tnrP6Sd8D-ZNIjb3KwH9ng/edit

If you have any trouble with the link please tell me. Also you may be able to see my real name on there, please do not do anything creepy. I'm open to any ideas even stupid ones so please post them.

This is rather depressing nobody has even looked at this yet...

Edit: My bad I had 5 views, that's still depressing though.

Yaaaayyyyy! People actual tried to read it!

looks good except for the fact that it uses exp for enchanting, i've always thought that was a really dumb resource for enchanting, maybe you could just make the gems used?

It needs a resource of some type otherwise in the enchanting table people could keep waiting for the gem to end up getting a good enchant which normally they wouldn't because stalling cost so much. Any type of energy would work I thought this system would work well as it experience is the same as "hard work points" especially if doing tasks like achievements and mining gains you some. nobody wants to waste their hard work point so the process would be far more stressful.

It needs a resource of some type otherwise in the enchanting table people could keep waiting for the gem to end up getting a good enchant which normally they wouldn't because stalling cost so much. Any type of energy would work I thought this system would work well as it experience is the same as "hard work points" especially if doing tasks like achievements and mining gains you some. nobody wants to waste their hard work point so the process would be far more stressful.

yeah but really experience should be used for something more fitting. im not sure how well this will go over but maybe you get stronger the more levels you have ie more health, more damage, faster mining and running

yeah but really experience should be used for something more fitting. im not sure how well this will go over but maybe you get stronger the more levels you have ie more health, more damage, faster mining and running

Isn't that what enchantments are suppose to do (more health would be good new enchantment, can you think of a name for that?). Efficiency for faster mining, Sharpness for more damage, Featherweight for faster running. But I agree it doesn't make much sense I think its the name "experience" perhaps we could call it something else.

Hmm, but then, what can we use instead of experience, and were we would get it from? I was thinking in some magical liquid found in the nether, which could be taken with a bucket and then somehow placed in the enchanting table, or in a container near it. This liquid is slowly consumed as time passes if it's not in the nether, either if it is in the container or in a bucket, and is used up and lost in the enchanting process. This would give:

+A good reason to go to the nether

+Something that works with enchanting similar to how does experience works with it in vanilla MC

-Would complicate a little more the enchanting process, and make it more end-game as traveling to the nether isn't easy at all.

-As it only will consume itself if it is outside the nether, you would have to choose between building in the overworld for occasonally having the lighting bonus but needing constant travels to the nether, or building on the nether, losing any chance of getting it but being more efficient in this liquid use, as you won't lose it unless you make an enchantment.

I like it...Perhaps you get some further cues by researching the history of alchemy. It may help in meshing with the evolving metallurgy system....

To Lordhaiv: Mercury was my hell liquid and its necessary for all potion catalysts. My point in that was instead of forcing people to do things like go to the Nether, encourage people to do things like with the achievement system. This could work but I think its a little too forceful and makes Mercury/Hell liquid extremely important and difficult to achieve in large quantities. In SMP it would quickly become almost impossible to find which would choke out that entire system.

To Lordhaiv: Mercury was my hell liquid and its necessary for all potion catalysts. My point in that was instead of forcing people to do things like go to the Nether, encourage people to do things like with the achievement system. This could work but I think its a little too forceful and makes Mercury/Hell liquid extremely important and difficult to achieve in large quantities. In SMP it would quickly become almost impossible to find which would choke out that entire system.

Wait, you need mercury... a dangerous extraordinarily poisonous heavy metal...

...for potions?

...That you drink?

I can see one or two ways this could come back to bite us in the ass here...

I really like the ideia.

Although I really can't see enchantments as it is on TFC. I know it goes back to the discussion of "realism", and we already have some minerals that don't exist, but on my head, Enchanting is like wizardry, if you know what I'm trying to go.

Maybe... reforged equipment? Some kind of blacksmithing that could add power to the items. :) (If you see, is the same thing, but with another name. xD)

In fact, i was trying to use something else instead of mercury, 'cause, as i said in the meteor iron thread, although something is -or was- considered magical or mythical, it doesn't mean it is. Mercury is a highly poisonuos metal that caused the dead of most of the alchemist -and their clients as well, most of them emperors and kings...-. Also, i wasn't talking about an ingredient for the catalysts, but an ingredient for the enchanting itself, a material replacement for the vanilla experience when it comes to enchantments.

Even in that way, you have got a point there. Maybe it could be solved making it foundable in the overworld -although, in pretty small quantities-, and give it a pretty high chance to be found in nether -not talking about more mana-liquid in nether than lava, but maybe finding a lake of it (a short one) would be common-. Or, it could be yet another catalyst which is kind of intermediate between the single use ones and the permanent ones. Or, all this mana-liquid thing could be completely ignored.

Also, now that i think about it, when you said it would need a shrine to be done in, i was thinking in pretty much the same thing... BUT, on the top of a pyramid ._. 'cause that way, it would be more likely to get a lighting hit the lighting rode, since lightings are prone to hit taller and conductive objects first. Also, having your enchanting shrine close to a taller structure which touches the earth will lower the chances of getting the lighting bonus -that includes trees, so building it anywhere near a jungle would be a bad idea, except if the shrine is taller than the trees-.

I'm thinking about enchanting as an end-game mechanic, if somebody hasn't noticed yet...

To EternalUndeath: Looks like someone didn't read my document.... But anyways, no you don't drink these potions they are the catalyst potions.

To Horenpa: I thought this might go overboard too for a bit but then i thought about it, number one you can't forge a sword that light people on fire, well i suppose you could but Steve probably can't on a deserted island. Enchanting has far more possibilities. Also, why not, I don't intend for this to be a game changing addition just an addition that allows for a few more possibilities

To lordhaiv: I know mercury isn't truly magical but what is the harm in pretending it and the danger is the exciting part. Don't like calling it mana it will let people compare us. I do like the lightning mechanic that would be cool.

To lordhaiv: I know mercury isn't truly magical but what is the harm in pretending it and the danger is the exciting part. Don't like calling it mana it will let people compare us. I do like the lightning mechanic that would be cool.

"mana-liquid" is just a name... a crappy, bad name. At least, for what TFcraft is.

Well... since i can't find any harm it would make, i have to admit you're right. But, lets then give the management of mercury it's real dangers... The exposure to this element may, in real life:

-damage the nervous system, temporaly or permanently. (which could be done with player states like nausea and blindness)

-damage the brain, hindering some of it's functions. (which could be done by blocking the use of some tools or items temporaly)

-damage the DNA itself. (in player slowly kills, like in most of the mobs, zombies and pigs could become zombie pigmens)

-provoke alergic reactions (skin irritation, fatigue, headache). (it would slow you down a bit and drain your hunger bar)

So, accidentaly drinking it, breathing it (since some mercury compounds can be easily evaporated) or even directly touching it in game without the proper protection should be dangerous to any mobs and players.

That would certainly spice things up a bit. We would need a container to hold it in that doesn't further expose us. And the gathering process would be quick and stressful. anything in close proximity to it would be damaged but the question is now how will it work in the cauldron as we are standing right there would we have to speed through? Are we randomly protected? Will we need to wear protective equipment?

In fact, being NEAR some pure mercury isn't that dangerous, if it is in a proper container -which the cauldron is as long as you don't overfill it-. As pure mercury is liquid at normal temperature, there is no chance of breathing it; because you're not a dumb/suicide, you won't drink it; and for the same reason, you would avoid to touch it. Protective gloves and using glass bottles for transportation should be enaff. There's no poison that can affect you without direct contact; not even nuclear radiactivity. So, standing close to it shouldn't worry you.

True that, boiling point is 674 deg. F so thats not a concern unless your stupid enough to put in a fire, or if its in contact with lava in the Nether.

Almost forgot it could be found in nether as well... XD

Then, it would be a little dangerous to go down there to collect mercury, as the nether air could be full of gaseous mercury near the lava sources. Not to mention the temperature of this gas would toast you... Also, 'cause of the large quantities of lava in nether, is likely to have the air at a similar temperature even in the spots miles away from any lava source. Well, that would make the nether more hell-like, wouldn't it? Even standing in there could be fatal without the proper protection.

Yeah... the how to survive this -no other way to call it- hell is something i will discuse in my next post :3

Wonder what the temp to keep lava in liquid form is because deep underground its just pressure that keeps it in liquid state. Oh well I think we might be overthinking this, the nether would be no fun if we would spontaneously combust or if there was no magma or if we had to wear giant anti-heat suits. But back on topic even for those of you who didn't read the doc or those of you who have stupid ideas please speak up i need content to put into this.

well mercury doesn't boil at a very low temperature, but its exceptional fluidity makes it very easily aerosolized. Any violent motions made with it will kick microparticles of the stuff into the air where they may be light enough to remain for several minutes. I think that using the sprint function or moving a full block at a time up or down (that is to say, not using stairs) should subject steve to the effects of the abovementioned mercury poisoning.

I like it ^ now people will have to be all careful and if something attacks them randomly, then they are in huge trouble. So much risk and excitement!

I like it ^ now people will have to be all careful and if something attacks them randomly, then they are in huge trouble. So much risk and excitement!

Agreed

And if something DOES attack you, maybe you could throw it like a splash potion to poison the mob in pursuit? You'd have to wait a minecraft day to return to within a 5x5 area of the splash though, or be poisoned yourself

leaving a zombie's face covered in metallic grey poisonous sustance=AWESOME. Although, as he is a zombie, most of those effects wouldn't bother it ._.

However, i wanna point that you would have only two possibles moveable recipients for the mercury: buckets -carries more but is prone to dump the mercury- and bottles -harder to fill with the mercury, carries less, but much safer-.

While carrying buckets of mercury, you can easily throw it at any attacker -or a cow, just for fun- without losing the bucket itself, but you have to be more careful while bringing it to your base, 'cause it's not covered and the mercury could be spreaded in the air fairly easily. So, having a base close to the source of the metal, or having the all way prepared with stairs and protected to avoid mob attacks is highly recommended -although, sometimes, it may be very expensive in resources...-

While using bottles, you MUST have some kind of hand protection, or you may accidentaly touch the mercury while filling the bottle. A bottle of mercury carries about a third of what carries a bucket, making it less space efficient, but, since the bottle is plugged -or if not, at least the mercury has a very little space for getting out-, it is pretty much safer than the bucket, and you can jump or fall as mch as you want to. Obviously, there's another down point to this: if you throw it to a mob for defending yourself -or fun-, you will lose the bottle.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0