Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Stone Flakes and Arrowheads

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Brodiggan

Brodiggan

Stone Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Instead of having the 'stone flakes' from knapping disappear when you try and place them (or disappear when you pick them up if you drop them in the world), make them into a resource for making stone arrowheads (Either 1 to 1 flake to arrowhead, or three flakes per arrowhead arranged in a V pattern).

EternalUndeath

EternalUndeath

Anti-Idiot Committee - Chairman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • LocationNY
...eh.

punching a zombie with a rose isn't going to do anything other than make other minecrafters wonder if you have necrophiliac tendencies

Modded Minecraft LPs, soon to include TFC!:
https://www.youtube....arasilverdragon

Just_Another_Guy_:)

Flamboyantly dangerous australian wurm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationArgentina
... Firstly, how you manage to join those flakes in the form of an arrow head? They are just magicaly attracted to each other?
Also, Taking in count the size of the rocks, those flakes would be almost dust...

Magical Flying Fire-Breathing Dragon-ponies...

*Brain Asplodes*

The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannong!

Be warned, double posts have, can, and WILL melt people reading them, so please, USE THE F+CKING EDIT BUTTON! UNLESS YOU'RE DUNK BECAUSE HE CAN DO WHAT HE LIKES :)

Oh, yeah, and Dunk can and, if provoked, will change your profile, that including your signature, title, info, and so on. So yeah, don't mess with him, and if you want a personalised title, ask him to change it :)

Brodiggan

Brodiggan

Stone Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

... Firstly, how the f+ck you manage to join those flakes in the form of an arrow head? They are just magicaly attracted to each other?

There's no need to be rude. Critique is welcome, but there's no need to pepper it with insults. Now as to the actual constructive parts of what you said...

Joining multiple flakes isn't realistic at all, no, it would simply be an abstraction for balance sake, to avoid one piece of stone producing too many arrowheads. Another option to accomplish the same goal would be to have chipping off a flake produce a piece you could use to make arrows some percentage of the time, 1 in 3, 1 in 4, whatever was best for balance.

The overall idea was just to give the 'stone flakes' in the knapping interface some use (so they don't feel like such a kludge when they mysteriously vanish) and to more closely model the way real stone arrowheads would be made (i.e., by shaping all the smaller flakes you sheer off when knapping).

Also, Taking in count the size of the rocks, those flakes would be almost dust...

The size of rocks (and a lot of other things in Minecraft/TFC) is a bit iffy. In some situations (and in the sprite) they look small, but then you can also place them to form large cobblestone blocks, or make stone bricks out of them... so I'm not sure size consistency is a concern here, really.

Azdoine

Azdoine

Copper Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationNorthwestern America
Why not just knap rocks into arrowheads?
I hate haters.

fred da kiko

fred da kiko

Copper Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationUnited States
I think the rocks are going to get a model soon, considering that it's currently programmer art.

Brodiggan

Brodiggan

Stone Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Why not just knap rocks into arrowheads?

That would be fine too, I was just coming at this from "Is there something better that could be done with the 'stone flakes' from knapping, that didn't make it feel like such a kludge?" and arrowheads were the first thing that sprang to mind, especially considering the number of arrows you tend to go through if you are doing any archery, and how expensive metal arrowheads can be in terms of materials.

Azdoine

Azdoine

Copper Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationNorthwestern America

That would be fine too, I was just coming at this from "Is there something better that could be done with the 'stone flakes' from knapping, that didn't make it feel like such a kludge?" and arrowheads were the first thing that sprang to mind, especially considering the number of arrows you tend to go through if you are doing any archery, and how expensive metal arrowheads can be in terms of materials.

What would you do with tiny flakes of stone?
Maybe, depending on the stone, you could get some flux from the chips, but there's not a lot else I can see you doing with a pebble.
I hate haters.

EstebanLB

EstebanLB

Apprentice Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Stone tools are now made via knapping. Place two rocks in a crafting grid and pickup the result. This will launch a knapping gui. Use the mouse to remove bits of rock until you form the shape of the desired tool. Recipes are the same as Plans for the various stone tools. It is recommended that you use shift click to remove the rock. Do not toss the items out of the gui into the world as unknown issues may occur. You’ve been warned.
ehhhh

• Members
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationArgentina

• Stone tools are now made via knapping. Place two rocks in a crafting grid and pickup the result. This will launch a knapping gui. Use the mouse to remove bits of rock until you form the shape of the desired tool. Recipes are the same as Plans for the various stone tools. It is recommended that you use shift click to remove the rock. Do not toss the items out of the gui into the world as unknown issues may occur. You’ve been warned.
ehhhh

He's not talking about the rock... he's talking about the rock chunks you remove from the rock in the knapping GUI to make the tool ._.

*Brain Asplodes*

Be warned, double posts have, can, and WILL melt people reading them, so please, USE THE F+CKING EDIT BUTTON! UNLESS YOU'RE DUNK BECAUSE HE CAN DO WHAT HE LIKES :)

Oh, yeah, and Dunk can and, if provoked, will change your profile, that including your signature, title, info, and so on. So yeah, don't mess with him, and if you want a personalised title, ask him to change it :)

fred da kiko

fred da kiko

Copper Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationUnited States

What would you do with tiny flakes of stone?
Maybe, depending on the stone, you could get some flux from the chips, but there's not a lot else I can see you doing with a pebble.

sling shots anyone?

EstebanLB

EstebanLB

Apprentice Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

He's not talking about the rock... he's talking about the rock chunks you remove from the rock in the knapping GUI to make the tool ._.

Exactly

Platoonsgt1

Platoonsgt1

Wood Cutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
While I'm not particularly for combining pebbles into small rocks, I would like to see some efficiency options at some point. Steve could easily break a rock in half, then knap the two parts.

Such as
00000  -> 2 Pickaxe Heads

11011  -> 2 Knife Blades

00000  -> 2 Hoe Heads

10101  -> 3 Chisel Heads
10101		 (If this gets brought to anvils, and chisels lose durability from right-clicking)

It could even be possible to split an ingot into two, or even three parts (as above) to create multiple tool heads.

bsb23

bsb23

Iron Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationSwaiziland
Why its not as if we have a shortage of rock.

Lumireaver

Lumireaver

Copper Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Why its not as if we have a shortage of rock.

Mostly because it's faster.
I only disagree with how unreal it is to split a (presumably) fist-sized rock into multiple tool heads.

On a semi-related note...instead of ingots and 2x ingots, couldn't we have small, medium, and large ingots? Mostly to price item costs a little more finely. Huge ingots, and other sizes could be created if we wanted even more granular price tweaking.
Also join the Steam group!

kotoroshinoto

kotoroshinoto

Apprentice Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

... Firstly, how you manage to join those flakes in the form of an arrow head? They are just magicaly attracted to each other?

then how in the hell are you getting a hammer/knife/pickaxe out of it?

Stone Arrowheads Wouldn't be all that big, hell neither are the metal tips on modern ones.
"playing MC for combat is like playing half life for Dr. Freeman's wonderful lines" -- Me in IRC chat

• Members
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationArgentina

then how in the hell are you getting a hammer/knife/pickaxe out of it?

Stone Arrowheads Wouldn't be all that big, hell neither are the metal tips on modern ones.

You get it because the stone flakes you left are still joined, while those that you take away for making the tool head aren't joined any more.

And i agree they wouldn't be that big, but a stone chunk isn't -for me- enaff to make a stone arrow head.

*Brain Asplodes*

Brodiggan

Brodiggan

Stone Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

And i agree they wouldn't be that big, but a stone chunk isn't -for me- enaff to make a stone arrow head.

This is exactly how actual stone arrowheads were made (which was why I chose that as something reasonable the flakes could be used for instead of just disappearing).

kotoroshinoto

kotoroshinoto

Apprentice Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Flaking would produce stones of varying size, many of which would be TOO LARGE to make an arrowhead.

You only really need a thin piece of stone about 1 inch long with sufficient width to make a small arrowhead, and they can go bigger.
"playing MC for combat is like playing half life for Dr. Freeman's wonderful lines" -- Me in IRC chat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users