Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhineasWynd

Respawn with low health, same nutrients

8 posts in this topic

Taken from 'Some observations of how people play':

I'd like progression not regression. So if it should be hard then lets start from 100 hp.

In context, he's talking about killing yourself to get your nutrients and health up. Which, I mean, just don't do that..But it got me thinking: It's not a good thing where you can think, 'dying is an option'. Also, people have talked about penalties for death in other threads.So my suggestion is to respawn with a penalty to your nutrients you had before you died, and a floor of, say, 20% (instead of defaulting up to 80%). Also respawn with low health, i.e. [100/975]. The max health would be unaffected by death.I'm just gonna fudge some numbers here. (-20% penalty, 20% floor)

Nutrient         Before:   After:

Fruit              80%        60%

Vegetable      30%       20%

Grain             10%       20%

Protein           50%       30%

Dairy              0%         20%

the post posted itself before I could name it properly - it's supposed to say 'Respawn with low health, penalty to nutrients'

Ya I'm cool with that, now that the nutrition thing has been changed to be similar to .78, getting that nutrition lost back wont be game ending.

I do think however, that we haven't heard the last of the new nutrition system and it will be back some time, even though Ive talked about how it was broken I really really did like what they were aiming for.

Considering that you loose all of your skill progress when you die, I believe there is already sufficient motivation to not kill yourself. If people want to loose all of their progress for a little food that is their choice. If you do not want to be an illogical person, and you choose that killing yourself and loosing all of your progress is not worth the little nutrition you gain, that is also your choice. I choose life. Therefore I see no utility in spending time to change something that really makes no difference to a person who does not use it.

I do not understand why you would take the time to suggest such a change since it will not cause a change in your gaming experience. Perhaps the temptation is too great? Having full nutrients is actually kind of a nice thing since it could give you a slight chance of retrieving some of the belongings that you lost when you died. If you had severely reduced nutrition it would be very unlikely that any attempt to do so would result in anything more than repeating your demise.

Here is my conclusion. I do not agree that this needs to be changed. What business is it of yours to dictate how someone else is allowed to play the game? You have already stated that you do not resort to suicide for such a silly reason, so if this suggestion is implemented it will have zero effect on your gaming experience and would in essence be a waste of time. It also has the potential to alienate some people who may play the game in a different way than you or I. I would rather have the Developers spend their valuable time implementing something new and more important. e.g. Body Temperature.

-snip-

Wait you lose skill progress when you die? Like smithing, agriculture, fishing etc.? I just died and didn't lose any skills... Is my game bugged? Can someone confirm whether or not you are supposed to lose your skills if you die? Most of my suggestion is because I'm not experiencing the game in this way, and if it's a bug, I'd like to get it fixed and experience the game how it is meant to be experienced.Also, even if I don't kill myself to get back my nutrition and not lose any skills, (in my case, if not everyone's), dying isn't a big deal to me at the moment. I'm just like 'oh I died.. k'. My whole argument is hinging on the fact that I don't lose anything... If it is indeed a bug, I'll concede that this is less important.

I'd prefer to have a penalty to nutrition than to skills anyway.

Wait you lose skill progress when you die? Like smithing, agriculture, fishing etc.? I just died and didn't lose any skills... Is my game bugged? Can someone confirm whether or not you are supposed to lose your skills if you die? Most of my suggestion is because I'm not experiencing the game in this way, and if it's a bug, I'd like to get it fixed and experience the game how it is meant to be experienced.Also, even if I don't kill myself to get back my nutrition and not lose any skills, (in my case, if not everyone's), dying isn't a big deal to me at the moment. I'm just like 'oh I died.. k'. My whole argument is hinging on the fact that I don't lose anything... If it is indeed a bug, I'll concede that this is less important.

I kept my skills when I died. Only lost my levels of xp which do affect your max health I thought.

They do still need to be able to 'live' after they respawn though. Half of the reason they get health back is so they don't get stuck in a loop of 'respawn, die, respawn, die'. How will you handle that? 

AFAIK the spawn should be a safe place like house, not just middle of wilderness,so I don't see a problem here.

It would appear that I am incorrect. Strange, I was under the impression that you lost your skills when you died... Sorry. I could have sworn that it was stated when they were added that skills reset on death. I'll have to keep looking until I find what made me think that.

-Edit-

Turns out I was incorrect about skills resetting on death. There is no place on the forums where it is stated that this should happen. It was my mistake.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0