Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
bilbobuddy

Trees

5 posts in this topic

I'm very happy about the way that tfc handles trees and chopping them down, but there are a few things that would be nice if they were changed.

1. All of the tree comes down at once.

Axes don’t break all the blocks of the tree, they only break one block before the entire tree comes down, and the damage would stay on the block if the axe you are using breaks. Half of a tree coming down makes so little sense. 

2. The leaves fall down with gravity, as if they were vanilla sand.You can still punch them and get sticks.

The huge multitude of leaves and sticks disappearing, vanishing into thin air is pretty weird. Anyone who's had a large tree come down in real life know that all these branches are a pretty big pain (or resource depending on how you look at them).

I realize that the devs probably realized this when they coded the tree felling, so I wouldn't be too surprised if something like this is unrealistic to do.

1. The only time that it doesn't fell the entire tree at once is if the axe doesn't have enough durability to break every single log block. I'm assuming that you are suggesting that instead of breaking every block that it can, the axe just breaks and the tree doesn't come down at all? Where does all that durability go then? It doesn't make sense for the durability used to somehow be "stored" in the log you attempted chopping, and it really isn't possible for blocks to store that data currently anyways.

2. Leaves disappear when the tree falls for balance reasons. Players have enough of an excess of saplings and sticks as it is, they don't need any more. Vanilla Minecraft also requires standard leaves to be within 5 blocks of a log in order to stay around, or else they will despawn all by themselves.

1. The only time that it doesn't fell the entire tree at once is if the axe doesn't have enough durability to break every single log block. I'm assuming that you are suggesting that instead of breaking every block that it can, the axe just breaks and the tree doesn't come down at all? Where does all that durability go then? It doesn't make sense for the durability used to somehow be "stored" in the log you attempted chopping, and it really isn't possible for blocks to store that data currently anyways.2. Leaves disappear when the tree falls for balance reasons. Players have enough of an excess of saplings and sticks as it is, they don't need any more. Vanilla Minecraft also requires standard leaves to be within 5 blocks of a log in order to stay around, or else they will despawn all by themselves.

1. Or, you could just let the last piece of durability on your axe allow felling the whole tree before breaking.I don't think that it really would unbalance things, if you only need 5 stone axes to fell 10 trees instead of 6 (just a very rough estimate, but you get what I mean).If you really think that this would be overpowered, I also would settle for the axe breaking when felling a tree that would leave 10 or 15% or less of durability on it so that you don't get tempted to use it on another tree.Aside from realism or believability, you have to admit that it's a real pain gameplay wise if you slightly miscalculated the durability of your axe and you are left with one or two log blocks of a tree because your axe broke, for which you again have to spend considerable time to get rid of afterwards.Either of my two suggestions would adress this issue by ensuring that always when you fell a tree the whole thing goes down.What do you think?

1. Or, you could just let the last piece of durability on your axe allow felling the whole tree before breaking.I don't think that it really would unbalance things, if you only need 5 stone axes to fell 10 trees instead of 6 (just a very rough estimate, but you get what I mean).If you really think that this would be overpowered, I also would settle for the axe breaking when felling a tree that would leave 10 or 15% or less of durability on it so that you don't get tempted to use it on another tree.Aside from realism or believability, you have to admit that it's a real pain gameplay wise if you slightly miscalculated the durability of your axe and you are left with one or two log blocks of a tree because your axe broke, for which you again have to spend considerable time to get rid of afterwards.Either of my two suggestions would adress this issue by ensuring that always when you fell a tree the whole thing goes down.What do you think?

The problem with this is if a player is using a stone axe is say an Acacia forest, where it can't tell where one tree starts and another one ends. If your axe only has enough durability on it to break 10 logs, it is somewhat unbalanced if that axe would bring down 7 connected large trees.

[...]2. Leaves disappear when the tree falls for balance reasons. Players have enough of an excess of saplings and sticks as it is, they don't need any more. Vanilla Minecraft also requires standard leaves to be within 5 blocks of a log in order to stay around, or else they will despawn all by themselves.

in Vanilla you still get sapplings and eventually apples when the leaves despawn by themselves, but I prefer the way that TFC is, like all the branches get more or less destroyed, not being useable as sticks anymore.Point 1: sure it would be nice to have the log saving the actual damage, but the actual solution is a reasonable compromise IMO - it's like you only cut the portion of the tree that the axe still can handle.