Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jed1314

Combat Overhaul cont. (2/3)

118 posts in this topic

What if each shield was upgradeable (with the overworked enchanting/upgrade system?) It would be nice to see more shields too. Maybe shields made out of different metals would be lighter/heavier?

Upgrade Tree:

Wicker Shield -> (non upgradeable)

Leather Shield (think Native American or Zulu) -> Reinforced (With wood)

Caetra -> Studded Hoplon

Scutum -> Thureos -> Bossed Thureos (Big metal bulge in middle)

Wood Bucker (A big viking buckler) -> Studded Buckler -> Plated Bucker

Studded Targe -> Plated Targe -> Full Bronze Targe

What if each shield was upgradeable (with the overworked enchanting/upgrade system?) It would be nice to see more shields too. Maybe shields made out of different metals would be lighter/heavier?

Upgrade Tree:

Wicker Shield -> (non upgradeable)

Leather Shield (think Native American or Zulu) -> Reinforced (With wood)

Caetra -> Studded Hoplon

Scutum -> Thureos -> Bossed Thureos (Big metal bulge in middle)

Wood Bucker (A big viking buckler) -> Studded Buckler -> Plated Bucker

Studded Targe -> Plated Targe -> Full Bronze Targe

I had contemplated all you have, but I looked at it and decided it would be better to keep the shields in line with other things in the game. Sure, if things start moving towards the very complex, your suggestion would be great, but as it stands, it's better to keep everything to preestablished standards, so people understand it better :)

I agree. There should be a huge variety though, pikes (3x reach), glaive (slashing spear), mace and chain (very low damage but negates armor 90% for that hit and next hit with another weapon), and all those... don't make me pull up all three Mount & Blades to look up everything lol. I would like the stamina bar though, and a complete GUI overhual. Tempering metal would be an awesome feature to increase speed or damage. Varieties of armor need to be added such as light armor (red steel chainmail) giving us room for things like encumbrance, especially a weight based inventory.

Random question here... is it even possible to affect the hit distance of a weapon? if not, it would render things like pikes much less useful :(

Just a side question: When the topic comes to blocking I always wonder how it is usefull ingame: Why block damage from a mob, if you can simply step back while hitting him? Will you add some sort of short pause while striking with a sword for example? Because the vanilla sword blocking never made sence for me since you can simply keep your distance and even if you block you just get slowed and the mob can punch at you endlessly so your only way is stoping to block.

Just a side question: When the topic comes to blocking I always wonder how it is usefull ingame: Why block damage from a mob, if you can simply step back while hitting him? Will you add some sort of short pause while striking with a sword for example? Because the vanilla sword blocking never made sence for me since you can simply keep your distance and even if you block you just get slowed and the mob can punch at you endlessly so your only way is stoping to block.

Skeletons. Sword blocking is really stupid though, even then it's never made sense nor have I used it. There will be better mobs though, also it adds to realism. With new mobs you never know what you may want to block, take werewolves(my favorite and most feared mod, as dunkleosteus can probably tell) from Mo' Creature for example. You can't run from them, usually you die because you don't carry gold swords.

I agree. There should be a huge variety though, pikes (3x reach), glaive (slashing spear), mace and chain (very low damage but negates armor 90% for that hit and next hit with another weapon), and all those... don't make me pull up all three Mount & Blades to look up everything lol. I would like the stamina bar though, and a complete GUI overhual. Tempering metal would be an awesome feature to increase speed or damage. Varieties of armor need to be added such as light armor (red steel chainmail) giving us room for things like encumbrance, especially a weight based inventory.

Ah, a fellow M+B fan :D I would love to have been able to suggest a much more comprehensive weapon system. I can think of literally hundreds of weapons, a large number of which perform functions which are distinct from one another. Unfortunately, I feel that would be too complex for a mod like this, which is aimed at total overhaul, not combat overhaul specifically. The armour and such I did cover in my "Combat overhaul 3/3" thread :)

Skeletons. Sword blocking is really stupid though, even then it's never made sense nor have I used it. There will be better mobs though, also it adds to realism. With new mobs you never know what you may want to block, take werewolves(my favorite and most feared mod, as dunkleosteus can probably tell) from Mo' Creature for example. You can't run from them, usually you die because you don't carry gold swords.

I like this. By making the mobs faster than the player, you could prevent the ridiculous "run backwards and spam clickly" strategy which MC combat devolves into.

We just need something to prevent from spam clicking if we get that done we have accomplished a ton already.

What could be done, is up the damage on swings, but also cause them to exhaust you quickly, i mean how many times can you swing a sword without becoming dead tired?

Re-read the OP, and saw you thought way ahead of me, even in merging the stamina from SM :o Bravo Jed.

Edited by Scooterdanny

Fun idea, but very complex. I'd personally rather see dev done on other features such as the civilization stuff Bioxx has mentioned.

Kingdoms in Beta phase 3, this is still in phase 2, so all things of this nature will be completed probably before he moves onto that.

Kingdoms in Beta phase 3, this is still in phase 2, so all things of this nature will be completed probably before he moves onto that.

Maybe not.. This is supposed to focus on agriculture. I'd rather wait for a while and have like phase 4/5 as a combat overhaul patch .. Of course I'd see it sooner than later :P

Of course, i need mah crossbows! and thank you for the correction Jed.

Of course, i need mah crossbows! and thank you for the correction Jed.

Crossbows and better bows and such :D I presume you've seen my ranged overhaul and such :)

Have, and loved every bit, i am all for basically every suggestion you make, you and i have similar tastes XD

since these functions seem to be more on the mob side of things (you can't hit infrastructure with an axe) I think I might be the one to handle the combat changes. Like I said, I've looked into it before. Of course, I'm finishing the animals first, but I would get around to it. It also frees Bioxx up to work on other things.

since these functions seem to be more on the mob side of things (you can't hit infrastructure with an axe) I think I might be the one to handle the combat changes. Like I said, I've looked into it before. Of course, I'm finishing the animals first, but I would get around to it. It also frees Bioxx up to work on other things.

I remember you talking about plans to change the combat system a while back, they sounded good and I was pretty satisfied with them.

Obviously you should get the bits you're meant to be working on now done first :P I take the view that there's not much that could possibly be done to the combat system to make it any worse, so any change will probably be a good one, and it will be appreciated no matter how long it takes to get around to it :P :P

Agreed :D

Would that change have anything to do with what looks like vein textures on the new deer? (Because that would be so tops if it wasn't just a texture)

Edit: I really need to pry off the parenthesis keys on my keyboard :P

Wait, what about the "vein" textures? i'm a bit lost.

I saw on the thread where Dunk posted a preview of deer that the side texture that wasn't mirrored right looked black with a red strip. I put my hop vest on and made myself believe in was a cardiovascular system

oh lol, i see

Almost successfully necro'd with a derail, huzzah!

you can ask rogue about that, he textured the deer. i think it's just do you know what part of the texture is what.

*the un mirrored part