Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Endless_Riddles

Keys to protect all your goodies

49 posts in this topic

I believe it would be a good idea to be able to make customizable keys from sticks in an interface similar to stone knapping so that your chests would not got griefed. If you can put the sticks together with maybe a knife you can whittle out a key (or from a piece of metal). i realize with the maybe possible combinations of whittling you can make many versions of the same key which would require a lot of item ids to be added.

Also a lock could be created that can be placed on a chest so only a key with the matching combination can open.

No. Not only has this idea been suggested too many times to count(even for vanilla), but the whole locked chests/key-protected chests/whatever idea is incredibly stupid if you step back and look at it. If you make the locked chests unbreakable, then you're just opening up even more ways to grief! Someone could cover your locked chests IN LOCKED CHESTS, causing you to be unable to access them.

Protected chests are stupid and detrimental to the game in every way possible. They should never be added ever in any form, ever.

Maybe, MAYBE if you can come up with a way to make them not ridiculously overpowered(lockpicking, maybe?), then there might be room for discussion.

In addition, if you're playing on a server where your chests are getting griefed then it's your fault for letting it happen. Either play on a different server or conceal your chests better.

Someone could cover your locked chests IN LOCKED CHESTS, causing you to be unable to access them.

Lock-ception? XD

Maybe they aren't unbreakable, but they don't spread things when broken and, when you place it back, it still has the same things it did before.

Lock-ception? XD

Maybe they aren't unbreakable, but they don't spread things when broken and, when you place it back, it still has the same things it did before.

Yeah I thought about that, locked caskets that you can pick up and they retain contents. Only problem with that is it can be abused for infinite inventory storage.

No. Not only has this idea been suggested too many times to count(even for vanilla), but the whole locked chests/key-protected chests/whatever idea is incredibly stupid if you step back and look at it. If you make the locked chests unbreakable, then you're just opening up even more ways to grief! Someone could cover your locked chests IN LOCKED CHESTS, causing you to be unable to access them.

And how would they do this exactly? I'm curious. Stacked chests don't hinder opening of the bottom chest, nor can you "cover" a chest in chests because you still need a single block of space between one chest and the next.

Lock-ception? XD

They did that. Its called enderchests

And how would they do this exactly? I'm curious. Stacked chests don't hinder opening of the bottom chest, nor can you "cover" a chest in chests because you still need a single block of space between one chest and the next.

>cover house in locked chest

>???

>greif

I think that a better implementation would be to have a four digit code using the numbers 0-9, that way it would be possible to figure out the combination at random while still having basic protection for your items. as an anti greif kind of protection, maybe it would only be possible for you to place two locked chests at a time, that way even if someone does place a locked chest in your house, it would be less of an issue and you could continue playing while waiting for an admin to destroy the locked chest.

Typically you wouldn't imagine being able to make double locked chests(double chests are the reason why you need a block of space in between chests), and I was particularly referring to the locked chests in IndustrialCraft where you actually CAN cover a locked chest in locked chests.

I think that a better implementation would be to have a four digit code using the numbers 0-9, that way it would be possible to figure out the combination at random while still having basic protection for your items. as an anti greif kind of protection, maybe it would only be possible for you to place two locked chests at a time, that way even if someone does place a locked chest in your house, it would be less of an issue and you could continue playing while waiting for an admin to destroy the locked chest.

No this is ridiculously stupid and meta. I think locked chests could be cool, but implementing them as a shitty meta anti-grief measure is dumb. This is why keys/lockpicking(or some equivalent to either) would HAVE to be used in this system, otherwise it would be too overpowered. Someone can get the keys or make copies of them. With passwords, only one person knows how to get into the chest(also overpowered).

No this is ridiculously stupid and meta. I think locked chests could be cool, but implementing them as a shitty meta anti-grief measure is dumb. This is why keys/lockpicking(or some equivalent to either) would HAVE to be used in this system, otherwise it would be too overpowered. Someone can get the keys or make copies of them. With passwords, only one person knows how to get into the chest(also overpowered).

Keys would end up being either a retarded system where there end up being too many skeleton keys or end up adding tons of unnecessary item IDs. The only thing meta about this is the fact that i added the 'you can't place a billion locked chests everywhere' so that jackasses don't go around spamming their chests on peoples' houses. Having a coding system on a chest in a game is just about as meta as having a code on your iphone. Your solution to the 'over powered nature' of a four digit code is to make it easy for someone to open chests that have been locked just because little jimmy tickle tits just happened to make a key with the same kind of code as mine. Codes aren't overpowered, they are just difficult to guess because of the possibilities.

They did that. Its called enderchests

Not the same, because the chests don't share a content, and whenever a locked chest is placed inside another, in order to avoid infinite space, it's contents are placed in the chest as well. And if you can't fit them all in that chest, the rest is either lost -a good punishment for those who try this in the first place-, or simply spreaded around the chest.

If a code is embedded to exclude locked chest placements within a certain radius around another it would prevent impenetrable buildings, while on a pvp server if the cost of creating a chest is high enough that they don't become over used such as out of steel or iron.

Example: kill a player in a pvp server loot key from his body then when / if you find his house his valuables are your and that he is not allowed to move his items away since he no longer has his key.

The benefits would be balanced with the risk of losing your key causing players to be more cautious with deaths which emphasis the realism angle.

How about we just don't have locked or otherwise secured chests because they're a really a stupid idea to begin with and detract from realism. In real life, you can just take a hammer to a wooden casket and smash it to pieces to get the contents.

Plus, locked chests only have a usage in a small context, which would be pvp servers where looting is discouraged for some reason despite being pvp servers.

If a code is embedded to exclude locked chest placements within a certain radius around another it would prevent impenetrable buildings, while on a pvp server if the cost of creating a chest is high enough that they don't become over used such as out of steel or iron.

Example: kill a player in a pvp server loot key from his body then when / if you find his house his valuables are your and that he is not allowed to move his items away since he no longer has his key.

The benefits would be balanced with the risk of losing your key causing players to be more cautious with deaths which emphasis the realism angle.

Or you could do what I do, and just hide your crap behind a camouflaged piston door that has no switch, but requires the placement of a redstone torch in exactly the right spot

Or you could do what I do, and just hide your crap behind a camouflaged piston door that has no switch, but requires the placement of a redstone torch in exactly the right spot

That's not very effective, seeing as people can easily xray or tear down your house. But that's one of the downsides to playing on a server where something like that can happen.

I'm with ancient power on this one. Chest locking would be overpowered, and a 4 digit code isnt very believable in TFC.

If honestly care about stuff getting stolen, play on a server where you can actually do something about, as situations get tedious where PvP isn't allowed. It turns into a he-said she-said fest. Or go far from spawn.

I'm with ancient power on this one. Chest locking would be overpowered, and a 4 digit code isnt very believable in TFC.

If honestly care about stuff getting stolen, play on a server where you can actually do something about, as situations get tedious where PvP isn't allowed. It turns into a he-said she-said fest. Or go far from spawn.

combination locks date back to roman times.

SICDIXISTI

So do universal keys, such as hammers and axes.

So do universal keys, such as hammers and axes.

new idea, hammers and axes are now keys.

-_- you guys reaaaally love to make harder the raiding task for those like me who love doing it, don't you?

And...

new idea, hammers and axes are now keys.

Fred, i think he/she/it means that you can simply break a chest to open it, instead of using those tools as a key.I haven't yet seen an axe small enough to even fit in any lock...

-_- you guys reaaaally love to make harder the raiding task for those like me who love doing it, don't you?

And...

Fred, i think he/she/it means that you can simply break a chest to open it, instead of using those tools as a key.I haven't yet seen an axe small enough to even fit in any lock...

twas a joke.

when you said 4 digit code, I instantly thought of a keypad for doors. That's my reasoning behind it not fitting into the theme.

...Why has this thread reached a second page? It's a god-awful idea that should already be done and over with so we can all move on to more unique and interesting things, like a tool made of meat or something

...Why has this thread reached a second page? It's a god-awful idea that should already be done and over with so we can all move on to more unique and interesting things, like a tool made of meat or something

Keys made of meat.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0