Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mvdhoning

build nice looking house with(out) woodlogs

32 posts in this topic

in vanilla minecraft id like to build my house skeleton out of raw wood 5x5 frames and fill the inside with sandstone and leave the middle block open for a window. But with tfc i cannot seem to build that way anymore.

Who is having building ideas to make nice looking midieval house within tfc?

But for now i need to learn how to surive again ;-)

The first house I build is always the same:

1. Get an axe

2. Get a shovel. Then another. And probably a third one, just to be sure.

3. Demolish a hill.

4. Chop down a tree

5. Use wood to make 8 horizontal supports and 8 vertical supports.

6. Place three vertical supports.

7. Place two horizontal supports on each side of the highest vertical support

8. Make a box out of dirt

9 Bam! It's like you're a real homesteader.

wooden beams that didnt require upright supports would be nice, say if you chiseled out a hole in the supporting wall, and placed a horizontal support they would merge up leaving you with some nice ceiling beams.

Somthing like this.

Posted Image

^Yes please. I'd LOVE to be able to make a farm house with horizontal supports for the roof and not bother with the vertical. For aesthetics of course. Sadly support beams are functional and don't work without the vertical supports.

Also,

Posted Image

Posted Image

House.

err how did you place those raw tree trunk blocks? as those are what i use to use as fake support beams.

problem with supports is they cannot be filled up to the beam and always leave a gaping hole besides it.

however with supports and dirt i did make a nice 'plaggenhut' i will post a screenshot once i figured out again how to make one.

House.

Haha, growing trees into the shape of your house ? Thats great :L :L

+1

err how did you place those raw tree trunk blocks? as those are what i use to use as fake support beams.

I didn't place anything. They grow and you cut off leaves (or most of the trunk) for its neighbor to have the room to grow. You could technically even use them as support beams using this method if you take out the dirt below the tree and chop away at the parts you don't need but that sounds like it would take forever and there would be a point where the trees wouldn't grow because of the "support beam" above it.

Here is my old log cabin I did with growing trees for supports. It takes a while but looks nice when done right.

Posted Image

Posted Image

What trees are those? Pine? I don't remember a tree that can grow 7 blocks high. 6 if you feel like digging out that entire area (which I doubt was the case)

They are 6 high. I put down a piece of dirt, grew the tree on top of the dirt then removed the dirt and placed cobble under it. I wanted it to look constructed, not grown. Those are the old style (pre 39 I think) Douglas Fir. I had to regrow them plenty of times to get them all 6 high. Then I /facepalmed when I realized the side trees only needed to be 2 high and I spent all that time growning them to 6 just to have to trim them.

mvd, I've been trying to build something like that for ages, you nailed it! Awesome job. :)

These are awesome ideas. I never really thought about going out of the box with building in this mod, but it seems really fun. I think I'll give it a try.

Also, DarkLadyPhoenix, are those bushes in the background? What version are you using?

I think the bushes you see are just young fruit trees.

I stole mvd's plaggenhut idea, it's awesome. I will update it with wood and glass later (a la http://www.binnenhui...t2/f010_02.jpeg).

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't suppose there's a way to force dirt blocks to stay like that and not grow grass, right? That would be a lot better...

-snip-

Looking good ! Is that the doku texture pack ? It looks great !

prospectors shack general (shameless overuse of woodlogs).

Posted Image

@mrpwase:

can we even make glass in tfc?

for flooring cobble and wood was used in those days. And beds were placed behind doors on the sides of the 'living' room that was actualy more like a citchen. Even the animals like goat had a stable inside the house so on first entrance you walked inside the stable next door was 'living' room. I dont want to image what it smelled like inside a house in those days. Why keep the animals inside, additional warmth i believe it was.

i really should visit http://www.ellertenbrammert.nl/ again to make sure and build something more accurate.

@mrpwase:

can we even make glass in tfc?

Yeah, I've managed it by sticking sand in a fully heated forge and waiting for a bit. It takes variable amounts of time depending on the temperature, but it shouldn't take too long. Not sure if it works in a firepit.

for flooring cobble and wood was used in those days. And beds were placed behind doors on the sides of the 'living' room that was actualy more like a citchen. Even the animals like goat had a stable inside the house so on first entrance you walked inside the stable next door was 'living' room. I dont want to image what it smelled like inside a house in those days. Why keep the animals inside, additional warmth i believe it was.

i really should visit http://www.ellertenbrammert.nl/ again to make sure and build something more accurate.

I've recently been reading about medieval England, and most peasant houses had dirt floors covered in rushes and straw (which was cleared out and the floor swept every year). I was also thinking of Viking and Saxon longhouses, where as you say the animals were kept inside at one end of the house, and the family at the other. I guess I got all the different historic housing trends mixed up in my head! :P

That's my first little shelter, I'm going to build a larger one with the animal section and closed-off bedrooms that you mention once I get some more ore. Thanks for the information and the design!

I've been loving the way that sequoia, limestone, and siltstone look together, and I made a somewhat Italian-looking villa. It's pretty bare bones at the moment, but I'm waiting for the construction update to make it better.

From a distance. The two stacks in the background are the communal forge.

Posted Image

The front. The balcony is mostly sequoia, with limestone panelling.

Posted Image

Inside, bottom floor. The pillars are limestone trimmed with a chisel.

Posted Image

The part of the bottom floor that the dining hall will go in. I like the slightly arched ceiling!

Posted Image

The roof, just for kicks. I used the chisel to make a very gently sloped tile roof.

Posted Image

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0