Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
antimattergizmo

truer to scale

29 posts in this topic

Something that bothered me from the moment I looked at my first images of Minecraft (Indev) It has always bugged me that trees are just not right in size

Yes the sycamore (I think) and jungle trees are huge, along with being closest to IRScale, yet the basic forest is filled with trees you barely need a 45 degree to look fully up close. I myself live in a very large forest in the middle of Appalachia, so I know trees. I will state in advance that it's more of the ratio of trunk to leaves being in favour of leaves i.e. IRScale trees have only slightly more leaves, yet much taller trunk.

This also segways into rivers and their midget width. They are more like creeks you walk chest deep across. I do assume rivers are going to be reworked with the new world gen being worked on, but I wish for you to consider not having equal to vanilla width. Of course natural rivers would be from vanilla size to the Nile and everything in between.

(somehow) TL;DR slightly more to true life scale in terms of tree and water body sizes

This is exactly why I was taken on as a programmer originally, I showed some work I had done on trees. Unfortunately, minecraft has limitations that just don't allow for enormous trees. If we made sequoias as big in TFC as they can get in real life, they'd be half as tall as the mountains, and it would look ridiculous. Maybe in a few years if advances in computers allows for enormous worlds where we can have more than a kilometer from the bottom of the world to the top, we'd be able to implement this, but not at the moment.

Trees are fine, small trees are a bit too common though. Also trees should be shaped by their irl shape, most were given the small tree form and called good. Rivers are a bit narrow, but every block is a meter so the rivers really aren't creek size. I would like to see rivers that you can't see to the other side and some that are about 15m. Lakes are a big thing, they are more like small ponds. Things just need to be looked at in feet sometimes to look natural.

Just doubling the size of current trees (or perhaps 1 1/2) would be an improvement in my eyes, I was just saying about the extinctable trees that they themselves alone are what I would like to see in scale, not that every tree be that tall, or modify those trees in any way. Those trees give me the feel of true redwoods, though they are not true to scale with true size. Mostly I just know more than 80% of IRScale trees you can't get to the leaves in any respect, but I would be content with just high enough that only 2/3 of the leaves are reachable. Something more than a mouth full of branches when you walk through a forest.

Edit: Should have wrote something on "lakes" too, though the need more of a buff than rivers or most trees for that matter.

Double edit: removed stupid pole of nothing

This is exactly why I was taken on as a programmer originally, I showed some work I had done on trees. Unfortunately, minecraft has limitations that just don't allow for enormous trees. If we made sequoias as big in TFC as they can get in real life, they'd be half as tall as the mountains, and it would look ridiculous. Maybe in a few years if advances in computers allows for enormous worlds where we can have more than a kilometer from the bottom of the world to the top, we'd be able to implement this, but not at the moment.

Yeah.

I wouldn't mind getting a relatively specific data from someone on the parameters of the hardware

(graphics card, CPU, RAM, etc.) You'd need

to actually run something on that scale and/or with the addition of 1/2 blocks, 1/4 blocks, 1/8 or less.

Intel 15ui4 - 1024 cores 50 THz each

20 PetaBytes RAM DDR 18

etc.

Intel 15ui4 - 1024 cores 50 THz each

20 PetaBytes RAM DDR 18

etc.

Holy shit! Me gusta.

This is the part where Intel better do something like Nvidia's Cuda Cores and add super liquid cooling to their processors just to get half that, nobody cares if it's $10000. As for RAM, they can do that. Sadly motherboards and operating systems are holding us back.

And a kilometer worldheight won't take that much, I bet my mom's laptop could do it if minecraft used more than a single core. Dunk, if you could do what spout is doing (or port to it) it would be achievable.

Holy shit! Me gusta.

This is the part where Intel better do something like Nvidia's Cuda Cores and add super liquid cooling to their processors just to get half that, nobody cares if it's $10000. As for RAM, they can do that. Sadly motherboards and operating systems are holding us back.

And a kilometer worldheight won't take that much, I bet my mom's laptop could do it if minecraft used more than a single core. Dunk, if you could do what spout is doing (or port to it) it would be achievable.

How about more like 1/128 size blocks, with support for round shapes, basic 3d curves, kinda real size world, with more depth underground 4km (Driefontein mine), 10 km up (so You can do Himalaya type mountains) and depth underwater 11 km (Mariana Trench). With the possibility of a 1000 or 1.000.000 players simultaneously.

Or maybe even with modern games level of graphics.

And that with 600 fps on that 600Hz FullHD plasma.

Now how much would that need?

How about more like 1/128 size blocks, with support for round shapes, basic 3d curves, kinda real size world, with more depth underground 4km (Driefontein mine), 10 km up (so You can do Himalaya type mountains) and depth underwater 11 km (Mariana Trench). With the possibility of a 1000 or 1.000.000 players simultaneously.

I only have an Asus K50IJ, Best Buy took a shit on it. I'm gonna cry if you keep bringing up amazing computer specs.

fuck if I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Sequoia

^

|

This is what you are looking for. Thousands and thousands of this.

Must it have such an ironic name to this topic (which derailed and should be closed, sure this has been suggested before but I was too much a lazy bastard to look harder than 4 pages with the search word "bigger"

To thinking up another crash and burn idea, huzzah!

I want one.

I found this. http://www.webstreet...er_computer.htm Give me 2 months, as I said before, I have a bunch of random ass computer parts in like 7 boxes in my closet. Hehehe, time to rape Eternal's 8-core.

"It is out of scope of this article to discuss how to solve any computational intensive algorithmic problem and how to code those algorithms for cluster architecture."

ahem

"It is out of scope of this article to discuss how to solve any computational intensive algorithmic problem and how to code those algorithms for cluster architecture."

ahem

Yep. Besides. It's not like You could just connect random computers to each other and expect them

to be compatible. When You can't even really change much of anything in the hardware without

buying a new motherboard.

It's just as though the producers don't want You to keep any of the stuff for longer periods of time...

... oh wait.

But I assume it was a joke.

ahem

Lol, I had only skimmed through it by the time I posted.

Yep. Besides. It's not like You could just connect random computers to each other and expect them

to be compatible. When You can't even really change much of anything in the hardware without

buying a new motherboard.

As many computers are in that box, I bet I can get a pair.

I don't know if it will be productive, but ima do it.

Aaaanywayyys this is way off topic

/thread please

Maybe in a few years if advances in computers allows for enormous worlds where we can have more than a kilometer from the bottom of the world to the top, we'd be able to implement this, but not at the moment.

*coughcoughSPOUTcoughcough*

*coughcoughSPOUTcoughcough*

I said that!

I said that!

lies

totally edited the post

>_>

Topic deadlining, finish whatever convo you are having then I cut the cord

Edit: I can't delete my own topic? what shiz is that? oh well bye first and prob. last suggestion

Computers already exsist that can run worlds with much more height on vanilla minecraft. mine could easily handle 1024 height with the current chunk system. The problem is there's people trying to run minecraft on P4s who get mad if they loose 2 fps cause they are only running at 6 fps to begin with.

However, also, i would like to see the world gen portion of the mod come to a point of compleatness so i can get about creating a more permanent world on my server. Itll be some time im sure until that happens, but hey, i can hope. :P

Topic deadlining, finish whatever convo you are having then I cut the cord

Edit: I can't delete my own topic? what shiz is that? oh well bye first and prob. last suggestion

You may think this is failing, it's not. This forum is 1% talk about your suggestion, 74% derail, and 25% get shit done.

Close the thread please...

Have you had a look at the spout project? (not spoutcraft) Complete rewrite of the game. One of the features is infinite world height. More here: http://forums.spout....nilla-are.2332/

Spout might generally be a better platform to implement TFC IMHO.

EDIT: Turns out spout has already been mentioned...