Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Talinine

Basketweaving

48 posts in this topic

No, don't go, hear me out.

Technologically, it fits the early game. No metal, no problem! Also, while fishing for saplings, you end up with a LOT of sticks. Let's put them to use! Possible blocks and items include:

• Baskets (of course!) - for gathering berries or crops, larger versions for storing items. Depending on the difficulty of coding, the larger chest-like versions could hold large quantities of just one type agricultural resource (so once you put in wheat, it will only hold wheat until empty)
  • Wicker plates - the plates can be recombined (maybe with a little string or wool) for a cheap form of armor, I'd assume with less protection than leather unless a stick-stregthening mechanic were added, maybe also a leather/wicker hybrid that has slightly more protection than straight leather
  • Wicker blocks - can be used as decorative thatch roofing, possibly including wheat or some form of straw crop to create
  • Woven fences - decorative half-block high fences that don't impede movement for dividing farmland, along with full-block high versions that block movement
  • Sieves - like a gold pan, but for loose rock. Other possible uses depending on other game additions.
  • Wicker boats - slightly slower than a normal boat, but breaks down into it's constituent parts for portability, possibly includes wicker plates and an additional waterproofed leather/wool item
  • Alternative bow recipe
Most applications would require sticks to be soaked in water before being woven, to increase pliability. Additional mechanics to treat the soaking water (for extra strength/pliability/flammability) could be added, introducing uses for ground minerals and specific forms of dirt.

uhhh.... huh. Well, I don't know how useful it would be....

I'm pretty sure if I was into weaving, I would be all over this as it seems well thought out and comprehensive, but unfortunately, I sit with Dunk.

Yeah, outside of variety for storage, this seems like a ton of work, for something that can be done much easier.

Agreed. It fits with the philosophy of the mod, but not with the mechanics of the game.

Howevah, we do need somepin' to do wif all those sticks. I've got two double-chests full of them.

Agreed. It fits with the philosophy of the mod, but not with the mechanics of the game.

Howevah, we do need somepin' to do wif all those sticks. I've got two double-chests full of them.

makes fences

Seems more like adding for the sake of adding things. That isn't (entirely) the point of the mod.

makes fences

Or Ladders.

Or Ladders.

or just lots of fire pits

or just lots of fire pits

or useful torches (you never have too much torches :)

None of the above alleviate my stick overage. Perhaps it has something to do with my eco-balance: I replace every tree I cut down. If I didn't have to search for saplings to do that, I wouldn't have so many sticks.

*sharpens axe* Time for some clearcutting.

I'm with the other guys right now. I don't see boats working, seeing how nothing you said is waterproof. Also I really hope bows aren't made out of wicker, wicker will snap when drawn.

uhhh.... huh. Well, I don't know how useful it would be....

Given the turnaround time on breeding new cows (or, what I believe the intention for pregnancy time is), an alternative low-end armor seems useful to me. The dedicated storage baskets would alleviate chest farms without sacrificing realism as like items tend to fit better together, and grains work well in containers of their own. The thatch roofing fits thematically, and I think that berries are on the agricultural roadmap.

Seems more like adding for the sake of adding things. That isn't (entirely) the point of the mod.

I suppose we have different opinions on "the point". Realism seems the point to me, and, with the exception of the bow recipe, I've tried to enumerate some stick uses that have been and are used IRL. Limited resources is cited as the other point, but trees aren't exactly rare. Wicker armor being poorer than leather seems like it fits in with the "surviving" aspect.

I don't see boats working, seeing how nothing you said is waterproof. Also I really hope bows aren't made out of wicker, wicker will snap when drawn.

A failing on my part, but creating an item to combine with leather or wool to make it waterproof was beyond the scope of my pitch. Actually, pitch would work. It could be produced as a byproduct of charcoal making, or have it's own dedicated process.

Wait, are you suggesting wicker armor? O.o

A failing on my part, but creating an item to combine with leather or wool to make it waterproof was beyond the scope of my pitch. Actually, pitch would work. It could be produced as a byproduct of charcoal making, or have it's own dedicated process.

Wool is not waterproof lol. Anyway pitch could work, but can wicker hold the weight of a man?

Wool is not waterproof lol. Anyway pitch could work, but can wicker hold the weight of a man?

Wicker chairs ? .. Yes, it can.

Wicker chairs ? .. Yes, it can.

True that. But is it buoyant enough to hold a man.

I mean use the pitch on the wool. And do a google search on wicker boat - they exist.

If it were made waterproof, i believe it would be, although hide, or bark seem much more likely than wicker.

He is right about the baskets though we are moving to specific storage and a dry food, mobile, access storage would be nice.

I support wicker blocks.

I will place them in the shape of a man with a hollow chest, use 1.3 books to write all my troubles down and sign them, then toss all the books in the man and light it aflame

I would love some minecraft burning man in the first place. everyone shows up with half naked skins and proceed to be insane, up to the point a giant Steve is lit on fire and everyone dances in the ashes.

oh and rebirthing, has to have rebirthing ceremonies :D

I would love some minecraft burning man in the first place. everyone shows up with half naked skins and proceed to be insane, up to the point a giant Steve is lit on fire and everyone dances in the ashes.

oh and rebirthing, has to have rebirthing ceremonies :D

Now I support the idea of wicker...

maybe just thatch for early roofs without building supports in the middle of your mud huts or torch glitching it?

maybe just thatch for early roofs without building supports in the middle of your mud huts or torch glitching it?

You need building supports for that. Diagonal 2 part roof: 2 vertical on each side of the room lengthwise up to the roof, one horizontal beam across the two, two horizontal beams going across spanning the width. Lean-to roof: 2 vertical on each side of the room lengthwise up to the roof, one horizontal beam across the two. Flat roof: Many horizontal beams under the roof. I think that's what they needed...