Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Scooterdanny

Snow Uniformity

38 posts in this topic

While i absolutely love the active snowfall, i noticed that in many places it is very uneven, while some blocks have a full block of snow, and an adjacent one will have none, not a very high priority issue, but i would enjoy seeing a more uniform winter wonderland.

Perhaps once the first snow forms, that level spreads to other blocks like ice, only insanely faster.

Hmm, i like it :) kind of like water spreading in DF.

Endorsed. I like this idea for more natural-looking snow biomes (which happen to be my absolute favorite).

EDIT: Curse ye, Like Limit! *shakes fist*

Perhaps once the first snow forms, that level spreads to other blocks like ice, only insanely faster.

That could work ._. not sure though

But yeah, i agree with the OP :3

Only it would be a bit unnerving seeing snow go up and down trying to level out with the rest if, say, blocks are double filled, or raised at the same time

The snow has eyes....

The snow has eyes....

*Strong sound*

The snow has ears....

*Same strong sound*

This year....

*You know which sound*

The snow....

*The last one*

Will catch you.

*close up of a snowmen tossing blood covered snow balls at the camera*

The snow men

Only in cinemas...
^
|
Sorry, i had to do it XD

Only it would be a bit unnerving seeing snow go up and down trying to level out with the rest if, say, blocks are double filled, or raised at the same time

Maybe it could be solved by having snow "flow" to places where there are lower snow levels, so a three pile would flow and become 3 single piles

We could just make it so that instead of accumulating at random, it would accumulate depending on how long it has snowed for.

We could just make it so that instead of accumulating at random, it would accumulate depending on how long it has snowed for.

Close enought for me :3

Indeed, i am tempted to live in a snow biome, but always become sad by the fact that it is a bit patchy, also, could rocks be covered with snow? or is that too evil?

I never had a problem with the unevenness. I always figured it was just snow drifts. Still, a bit more uniformity would look nice.

On the topic of snow uniformity somewhat, is there a way to tweak the temperature of taiga rivers? There's lakes on the SMP server I play that are surrounded by taiga. It's -23C in the taiga and I think 3C in the rivers (not sure exactly, but >0). This meant it was snowing all around it and raining in the lake. :(

Indeed, i am tempted to live in a snow biome, but always become sad by the fact that it is a bit patchy, also, could rocks be covered with snow? or is that too evil?

BetterSnow like in Optifine. layer 1 snow: covers sides, 2: only top shows, 3: covered, breaks when snow breaks (it isn't actually snow, the block cursor will be small rock size)

I never had a problem with the unevenness. I always figured it was just snow drifts. Still, a bit more uniformity would look nice.

On the topic of snow uniformity somewhat, is there a way to tweak the temperature of taiga rivers? There's lakes on the SMP server I play that are surrounded by taiga. It's -23C in the taiga and I think 3C in the rivers (not sure exactly, but >0). This meant it was snowing all around it and raining in the lake. :(

You obviously have a river flowing out of the earths core and it heats up the air around it. XD

The snow has eyes....

Whose woods these are I think I know.

His house is in the village, though;

He will not see me stopping here

To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer

To stop without a farmhouse near

Between the woods and frozen lake

The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake

To ask if there is some mistake.

The only other sound's the sweep

Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost's "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening"

Seriously the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your post.

Anyway, yeah, I agree. The snow should be a bit more uniform. It's hard navigating through it, the different levels hiding their actual hight, making cliff navigation a pain.

Anyway, yeah, I agree. The snow should be a bit more uniform. It's hard navigating through it, the different levels hiding their actual hight, making cliff navigation a pain.

But that is also somewhat realistic/believable if you think about it. I love that added challenge. Especially since I now play with smart moving.

But that is also somewhat realistic/believable if you think about it. I love that added challenge. Especially since I now play with smart moving.

My friend copied his Minecraft folder to me, so I got all the mods he has, Smart Moving not one of them. Does it help the TFC experience?

Speaking of, maybe the less accumulated snow the slicker the block, which also make me think ice needs to be a bit slicker as well.

Good stuff

Is it sad or impressive that I know that by heart?

I honestly can't tell

Is it sad or impressive that I know that by heart?

I honestly can't tell

Very impressive, to me anyway.

/offtopic

My High School Choir did the complete Frostiana at one of our concerts. I was singing it in my head as I posted it.

/offtopic

Very impressive, to me anyway.

/offtopic

My High School Choir did the complete Frostiana at one of our concerts. I was singing it in my head as I posted it.

/offtopic

Lo, 'tis the gala knight

Within the lonesome latter years

An angel throng, bewinged, bedight

In veils and drowned in tears

Sit in a theatre to see

A play of hopes and fears

While the orchestra breathes fitfully

The music of the spheres

Mimes in the form of god on high

Mutter and mumble low

And hither and thither fly

Mere puppets they, who come and go

At the bidding of some vast formless thing

Who shift the scenery to and fro

Flapping from out its condor wings

Invisible woe!

That motley drama, oh to be sure

It shall not be forgot

With it's phantom chased forevermore

By a crowd that seize it not

In a circle that ever returneth

Unto the selfsame spot

And much of madness, and more of sin

And horror the soul of the plot

But lo, amid the mimic route

A crawling shape intrude!

A bloodred thing that writhes from out

The scenic solitude

It writhes! It writhes! With mortal pangs

The mimes become its food

And seraphs sob at vermin fangs

In human gore imbued

Out! Out are the lights! Out all!

And over each quivering form

The curtain, a funeral pall

Descends with the rush of a storm

And the angels, all pallid and wan

Uprising, unveiling, affirm

That this play is the tragedy 'Man'

And its hero, the Conqueror Worm

-The Conqueror Worm, Edgar Poe

Cited from memory, not a single word looked up.

Lo, 'tis the gala knight

Within the lonesome latter years

An angel throng, bewinged, bedight

In veils and drowned in tears

Sit in a theatre to see

A play of hopes and fears

While the orchestra breathes fitfully

The music of the spheres

Mimes in the form of god on high

Mutter and mumble low

And hither and thither fly

Mere puppets they, who come and go

At the bidding of some vast formless thing

Who shift the scenery to and fro

Flapping from out its condor wings

Invisible woe!

That motley drama, oh to be sure

It shall not be forgot

With it's phantom chased forevermore

By a crowd that seize it not

In a circle that ever returneth

Unto the selfsame spot

And much of madness, and more of sin

And horror the soul of the plot

But lo, amid the mimic route

A crawling shape intrude!

A bloodred thing that writhes from out

The scenic solitude

It writhes! It writhes! With mortal pangs

The mimes become its food

And seraphs sob at vermin fangs

In human gore imbued

Out! Out are the lights! Out all!

And over each quivering form

The curtain, a funeral pall

Descends with the rush of a storm

And the angels, all pallid and wan

Uprising, unveiling, affirm

That this play is the tragedy 'Man'

And its hero, the Conqueror Worm

-The Conqueror Worm, Edgar Poe

Cited from memory, not a single word looked up.

You, Sir, have won my respect. /clap

That, and the fact that your Avatar is a Dragon wearing Kanina sunglasses...

I tried to attach the photo, but it's not working, or I can't find the right buttons, so I'll just tell you. While we are having this offtopic discussion of poetry, the Add for me on the front page is for a book of, and I quote, "19th-century American Poetry"

I have certainly loved adding Smart moving to the game. You can crawl, climb, and sprinting is changed to use a stamina bar. Swimming is also changed as well. I think you can even hang from specific ceilings in vanilla (iron bars?) It definitely makes spelunking more interesting (crawling through 1x1 tunnels - even when mining).

I mioght have to download this... Where might I find it, and how difficult is it to add to the minecraft folder?