Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Murry Folt

Hunger Games Map

20 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of this (who am I kidding, someone sure better of have already), but TFC would be an excellent base for a Hunger Games PvP map. I have no experience in map making myself, so I don't want to put a major effort into attempting it, but I was hoping my mentioning it would maybe spark in idea in someone else.

TFC is an excellent base because:

• You can't chop down trees or mine stone without proper tools
  • More varied mobs
  • Survival is harder
  • More levels of equipment
  • Built in javelins
  • Sticks can be acquired from leaves
  • Rock can be gathered from the ground.
Those are just the ones that come to mind. For an actual map though, saplings should be disabled and making tools should be harder (such as dropping the chance for a stick to drop or for rocks to spawn). I don't know if that is possible on a map by map basis, which is why I'm not trying. I've never modded Minecraft.

Also, digging by hand would need to be nerfed so it is still possible to dig without a shovel, it just takes a long time.

This would make it possible to survive without starting equipment, but still makes the items provided in the Cornicopia remain very valuable. Also, the multiple strengths of metals in armor and weapons would add to the diversity, I believe.

Finally, less rules would be needed. In all other Hunger Games maps I've seen, one of the rules is no breaking blocks. That is already taken care of in TFC for the most part, and the final ones (dirt, leaves, etc.) can be nerfed in a balanced way.

So if anybody takes my mention of this and runs with it, post it here! I'd love to see it! Also, bring on discussion. I KNOW there are things I haven't considered or ideas of mine that could be improved. As TFC evolves, it's basics will be even more suited for this on the survival scale. Far beyond anything else I've even heard of.

what do you mean tfc makes it possible to not break blocks? The only one it does that is fist punching trees. Other than that, it's just like minecraft. with a few differences. I think it would be fun, but I think if it were ported to bukkit and you could use the random treasure chest plugin it, that'd make it more fun. that way it's not always the same thing. But really hunger games in minecraft has been pretty much been driven into the ground. Someone else already had a nice pvp thing set up, not sure who it was though.

I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of this (who am I kidding, someone sure better of already), but TFC would be an excellent base for a Hunger Games PvP map. I have no experience in map making myself, so I don't want to put a major effort into attempting it, but I was hoping my mentioning it would maybe spark in idea in someone else.

• More varied mobs
  • Survival is harder
  • Built in javelins
Those are just the ones that come to mind. For an actual map though, saplings should be disabled and making tools should be harder (such as dropping the chance for a stick to drop or for rocks to spawn). I don't know if that is possible on a map by map basis, which is why I'm not trying. I've never modded Minecraft.

Also, digging by hand would need to be nerfed so it is still possible to dig without a shovel, it just takes a long time.

This would make it possible to survive without starting equipment, but still makes the items provided in the Cornicopia remain very valuable. Also, the multiple strengths of metals in armor and weapons would add to the diversity, I believe.

Finally, less rules would be needed. In all other Hunger Games maps I've seen, one of the rules is no breaking blocks. That is already taken care of in TFC for the most part, and the final ones (dirt, leaves, etc.) can be nerfed in a balanced way.

So if anybody takes my mention of this and runs with it, post it here! I'd love to see it! Also, bring on discussion. I KNOW there are things I haven't considered or ideas of mine that could be improved. As TFC evolves, it's basics will be even more suited for this on the survival scale. Far beyond anything else I've even heard of.

"one of the rules is no breaking blocks." gotta say, this is one of the most shitty rules ever, if you can't break blocks then how will you get any materials while playing? the ones that run for the cornucopia and eventually survive the first clash are the only ones with a real chance of winning, since the rest will be punching cows for food since they can't even make a wooden sword.

anyways, TFC could be a good idea for a hunger games environment, since it's damn hard to get metal tools and you kind of need a stable base for it, being nomadic will make any form of metal melting damn hard, it would really buff the importance of the cornucopia

problem is also that TFC is still quite.. unstable, meaning that sometimes updates get released 2-3 times a week, other times it takes 1-2 weeks for a new update, you'd need a mod for TFC to regulate countdown and such otherwise if you want to have a big-scale hunger games server you'd have cheaters all over.

i hope someone is crazy enough to make a hunger games mod for TFC, could be pretty awesome ^^

what do you mean tfc makes it possible to not break blocks? The only one it does that is fist punching trees. Other than that, it's just like minecraft. with a few differences. I think it would be fun, but I think if it were ported to bukkit and you could use the random treasure chest plugin it, that'd make it more fun. that way it's not always the same thing. But really hunger games in minecraft has been pretty much been driven into the ground. Someone else already had a nice pvp thing set up, not sure who it was though.

i think what he means is that you can only destroy most blocks with their respective tools, you can't punch wood, you need an axe for it, you can't mine without a pickaxe (for which you need to gather a crapload of small ores--> in a hunger games environment you don't really have time for this)

so it'll be a lot harder to just mine yourself into the ground and hole up until only a few peeps remain.

also... did you really just say that? "it's just like minecraft" .... it's actually nothing like vanilla MC, most importantly progression is so much harder in TFC (certainly now that you can't make stone pickaxes) while in vanilla MC you just make a stone pick, gather some iron and coal from a cave and bam, you're in the iron age.... anyways i guess that's just a difference in opinion, but i'm sure most peeps agree with me that TFC is a lot harder than vanilla MC

"But really hunger games in minecraft has been pretty much been driven into the ground." hmm http://minecraftpvp.com/hunger-games pretty much proves the opposite ^^

also, IMO random treasure would kind off defeat the whole purpose of the hunger games, the big idea is that most peeps will try to run for the cornucopia and get killed while fighting over supplies... if you can just wander around and find supplies then it kinda defeats the purpose

No breaking blocks really was a sloppy rule, which is why I thought TFC was a great base. Because as you said, many blocks can only be broken with their respective tools.

Of course, the constant updates would cause a problem for a big map that is released to lots of people, so it might be a hassle now. But I've noticed that lots of the updates fit within a basic "level" (i.e. 47e, 47c) so we would likely only need to update the map every major release. Or better yet, the changes might not even effect the level of gameplay used here for a long time. Once we start changing combat and hunting, yeah, that'll be a big difference, but not before that.

For a basic pvp deathmatch type of arena, the chests would work fine. But since this is based off the Hunger Games... I think it would be better to have a couple invisible admins flying around acting as "sponsors" giving items to certain players. Imagine running away from a group of three tributes, finding a little hole to hide in long enough for them to lose you a little while, then suddenly having a bow and a few arrows pop up next to you.

Hm... other than the fact that TFC updates so often, I really do like this idea. Especially since knapping exists, that just..that's just yes. Sure there aren't any swords in TFC, but javelins make up for that (and I think at least one person in HG...Marvel? even uses it as well).

I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of this (who am I kidding, someone sure better of already), but TFC would be an excellent base for a Hunger Games PvP map. I have no experience in map making myself, so I don't want to put a major effort into attempting it, but I was hoping my mentioning it would maybe spark in idea in someone else.

• More varied mobs
  • Survival is harder
  • Built in javelins

As much as i loved the Hunger Games movie, i don't think the devs are gonna modify the mod just for this map to be completely possible, so... It would be impossible to you to find someone (or to do it yourself) that can mod an add-on for TFC, just for this to be in place?

As much as i loved the Hunger Games movie, i don't think the devs are gonna modify the mod just for this map to be completely possible, so... It would be impossible to you to find someone (or to do it yourself) that can mod an add-on for TFC, just for this to be in place?

Oh no, I'm not talking about modifying the game. I meant make a specific map for it and modify a few things for that specific map (such as disabling saplings). And not just based off the movie, but the books as well.

As I said, I didn't know if modifying things like this per map/save were possible. Although it is likely a server command could disable something like that, but even then all you could do is plant trees and dig a few dirt blocks down. Nothing game breaking with that alone.

Sure there aren't any swords in TFC, but javelins make up for that (and I think at least one person in HG...Marvel? even uses it as well).

What do you mean there aren't swords? There's probably a dozen or more metal sword types that could be placed at the beginning of the map. Obviously no player would likely be able to make anymore, but that is part of the point. Makes the starting equipment worth more.

Oh no, I'm not talking about modifying the game. I meant make a specific map for it and modify a few things for that specific map (such as disabling saplings). And not just based off the movie, but the books as well.

As I said, I didn't know if modifying things like this per map/save were possible. Although it is likely a server command could disable something like that, but even then all you could do is plant trees and dig a few dirt blocks down. Nothing game breaking with that alone.

What do you mean there aren't swords? There's probably a dozen or more metal sword types that could be placed at the beginning of the map. Obviously no player would likely be able to make anymore, but that is part of the point. Makes the starting equipment worth more.

No, it's not possible to modify the game per world.

No, it's not possible to modify the game per world.

People do it all the time with bukkit servers. You install plugins that disable features, or write the plugin yourself, and then install it on the server that hosts the world you made.

For those who haven't seen the Hunger Games minecraft events, they've actually gotten a lot of publicity on reddit. You announce (through reddit or something similar) that you are hosting a special server for the event on an upcoming Saturday (or something), and a whole bunch of strangers all log in at the same time. I've never read the book or watched the movie, but the theme is pretty simple, it's pvp, where last man standing wins.

I don't really understand why the OP is asking about implementing it here. Most people in this forum are probably unaware of the Hunger Games minecraft events, and are unlikely to be interested in it. If you think your idea is good, and that it can be easily implemented, then you do it yourself, and then try to notify as many people as possible once you are done. If you want to brainstorm such an idea, you'd probably get a much better response from people that host Hunger Games servers, such as Hunger Games Network.

I personally think it's a terrible idea for 2 reasons:

1) There's not a bukkit port of TFC. Somebody will probably make one sometime, and that will open up a whole lot of possibilities that are a lot more interesting than hunger games events. There are other threads on this forum about making a bukkit port, and it's not even sure if the TFC devs are comfortable with it yet.

2) TFC is not part of any modpack, so getting all players to install the client version correctly just for a weekend event is going to be difficult. There's a reason that weekend events like this are almost always done with vanilla clients.

People do it all the time with bukkit servers. You install plugins that disable features, or write the plugin yourself, and then install it on the server that hosts the world you made.

For those who haven't seen the Hunger Games minecraft events, they've actually gotten a lot of publicity on reddit. You announce (through reddit or something similar) that you are hosting a special server for the event on an upcoming Saturday (or something), and a whole bunch of strangers all log in at the same time. I've never read the book or watched the movie, but the theme is pretty simple, it's pvp, where last man standing wins.

I don't really understand why the OP is asking about implementing it here. Most people in this forum are probably unaware of the Hunger Games minecraft events, and are unlikely to be interested in it. If you think your idea is good, and that it can be easily implemented, then you do it yourself, and then try to notify as many people as possible once you are done. If you want to brainstorm such an idea, you'd probably get a much better response from people that host Hunger Games servers, such as Hunger Games Network.

I personally think it's a terrible idea for 2 reasons:

1) There's not a bukkit port of TFC. Somebody will probably make one sometime, and that will open up a whole lot of possibilities that are a lot more interesting than hunger games events. There are other threads on this forum about making a bukkit port, and it's not even sure if the TFC devs are comfortable with it yet.

2) TFC is not part of any modpack, so getting all players to install the client version correctly just for a weekend event is going to be difficult. There's a reason that weekend events like this are almost always done with vanilla clients.

there are no TFC plugins that is why I said that.

Well yeah, almost none that could be made. That's what I meant.

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was contradicting you. I thought the thread above had already discussed how a vanilla server with TFC was very different than a bukkit server.

That's true, but you can make server mods. D.H.B. has a number of hacks and mods, and I've been looking at having a few sort of "event mods" to do something cool for a weekend. Donno about straight-PVP stuff, though.

Well yeah, almost none that could be made. That's what I meant.

Okay, I had a feeling that's what you mean, just wasn't sure. That is one reason why I want to use TFC as a base, very few rules are necessary because so many things are in place.

I don't really understand why the OP is asking about implementing it here.

I brought it up because I was hoping either someone would take the idea and run without, or some of the discussion would help me think things over for what would need to be done in order for me to make a map myself.

And actually, the discussion has done that. I realized that the way things are now, without any further modification, TFC is still an excellent base for the Hunger Games. Small things like disabling saplings and nerfing bare handed digging speed are still unnecessary, as the survival aspect of the games is still far better balanced then vanilla.

College is starting again soon, so I'm not sure if I'll have much time to experiment with editing the map myself anytime soon, but maybe some future updates will have a feature that fits so well it spurs me on. Has anyone done much editing with TFC maps? Is it compatible with software such as MCedit? Or any of the in game editors?

i think what he means is that you can only destroy most blocks with their respective tools, you can't punch wood, you need an axe for it, you can't mine without a pickaxe (for which you need to gather a crapload of small ores--> in a hunger games environment you don't really have time for this)

so it'll be a lot harder to just mine yourself into the ground and hole up until only a few peeps remain.

also... did you really just say that? "it's just like minecraft" .... it's actually nothing like vanilla MC, most importantly progression is so much harder in TFC (certainly now that you can't make stone pickaxes) while in vanilla MC you just make a stone pick, gather some iron and coal from a cave and bam, you're in the iron age.... anyways i guess that's just a difference in opinion, but i'm sure most peeps agree with me that TFC is a lot harder than vanilla MC

"But really hunger games in minecraft has been pretty much been driven into the ground." hmm http://minecraftpvp.com/hunger-games pretty much proves the opposite ^^

also, IMO random treasure would kind off defeat the whole purpose of the hunger games, the big idea is that most peeps will try to run for the cornucopia and get killed while fighting over supplies... if you can just wander around and find supplies then it kinda defeats the purpose

What I mean't was that other than logs, the rest of the blocks can still be broken by conventional means, albiet taking longer than if the tools were used. I think it pertains more to like if they made a medieval city or something like that, and used that as the setting. I can see why they woudn't want you to just break any old blocks. Usually if they do that though, they have chests with supplies spread throughout the city as well as the cornucopia starting point place, although not with as much or as the starting point. They do that so even if you make a break for the city without having to fight over supplies you can still have a fighting chance against someone who got a lot of the goods from the beginning. A good example of this being used is a game of crowns the yogscast did, they made it so it was teams of two people, so you had a ally, and they had a plugin that was able to do randomly generated loot in chests, some had good stuff like food or maybe a sword, but most had only 2-4 items in it, so it wasn't like someone got all diamond armor and it was game over. They did have a 15-30 min no pvp enabled, so peopel could scrounge for supplies, and then about 30 mins past when they enabled pvp, the crowns dropped, which you had to go get and bring back to a mountain to score.

There are differences, like the blacksmithing and metalurgy, and having to knap stones to get the tools you need, as well as being able to work the ingots into the tools, but apart from that, it's just like normal minecraft, trying to survive. It does increase the difficulty, but it's not by huge leaps and bounds. usually if people do a pvp with TFC they make a map, with two teams, and have a period of no attacking the other side, then once that's over, it's free to kill. That way people can have time to set things up like armor, or if they find good ore right away they can make better tools than just javelins or stone knives.

I said that wrong, I didn't mean into the ground, just that since the movie came out, hunger games maps in minecraft have become really commmon. It's not like it's really a new thing, compared to say when the first skyblock map came out, or feed the beast. I do agree that TFC would make a nice addition to the whole survival pvp genre of maps coming out, but it's not a huge game changer either.

usually if people do a pvp with TFC they make a map, with two teams, and have a period of no attacking the other side

Not to diminish the importance of your long post by only quoting one tiny section, but for a "pure" Hunger Games match there would be a few items in the cornucopia made of metal which are very valuable that everyone has the choice to run for right off the bat. PvP enabled immediately, and the only other way to get items is to have "sponsors" (or the admin) give you items. Simply using TFC as a base would mean people have the option to try and make a vast labyrinth under ground or a steel suit of armor... it just probably won't happen because they can't make the stuff that soon.

However, a TFC specific based pvp game definately would be different. Two tribes fresh out of the stone age going at it would be fun, but for the Hunger Games, TFC already has excellent mechanics built into it to prevent this without extra rules.

Not to diminish the importance of your long post by only quoting one tiny section, but for a "pure" Hunger Games match there would be a few items in the cornucopia made of metal which are very valuable that everyone has the choice to run for right off the bat. PvP enabled immediately, and the only other way to get items is to have "sponsors" (or the admin) give you items. Simply using TFC as a base would mean people have the option to try and make a vast labyrinth under ground or a steel suit of armor... it just probably won't happen because they can't make the stuff that soon.

However, a TFC specific based pvp game definately would be different. Two tribes fresh out of the stone age going at it would be fun, but for the Hunger Games, TFC already has excellent mechanics built into it to prevent this without extra rules.

No biggie, I wouldn't have expected you to quote the whole thing. I didn't mean that the other chests with stuff in them would be easy to find, They would definitely be hidden, but I think what you were saying is exactly getting hunger games in minecraft like how it was in the movie, or as close as possible to it. I agree that hunger games with TFC would be nice, but being able to move quickly doesn't exactly work well with TFC. Usually a base is needed, maybe they could make it small teams of people? They could also have pre built safe houses, like ruined structures int eh world, that have already a firepit, or maybe a forge and bloomery.

The Pvp game I saw someone set up was two teams with a time of no attacking the other, I think they also split the map and it was either pregenned or one side was genned and then mirrored on the other side, and it was the last team standing that won. Forgot who started it though, and I haven't heard much so I dunno if they're still doing it.

No biggie, I wouldn't have expected you to quote the whole thing. I didn't mean that the other chests with stuff in them would be easy to find, They would definitely be hidden, but I think what you were saying is exactly getting hunger games in minecraft like how it was in the movie, or as close as possible to it. I agree that hunger games with TFC would be nice, but being able to move quickly doesn't exactly work well with TFC. Usually a base is needed, maybe they could make it small teams of people? They could also have pre built safe houses, like ruined structures int eh world, that have already a firepit, or maybe a forge and bloomery.

The Pvp game I saw someone set up was two teams with a time of no attacking the other, I think they also split the map and it was either pregenned or one side was genned and then mirrored on the other side, and it was the last team standing that won. Forgot who started it though, and I haven't heard much so I dunno if they're still doing it.

For trying to fit as closely to the movie/books as possible, there would be no chests, but I do like the idea of chests personally. Even though it may not be considered "pure", it would be an excellent substitute for sponsors.

And my point with developing metal and stuff was it isn't against the rules, you just likely won't be able to do it in a normal hunger games style game because there isn't the safety and time. A modified version, mabe with a few small "tribes" facing off, each being given a default base and maybe a few days to build, would definitately be really fun. But by then, it's just another style of PvP, not Hunger Games specific.

But... a potential hunger games map could be a ruined city, and if there happened to be a forge and bloomery or something hidden in one of the buildings... ;)

For trying to fit as closely to the movie/books as possible, there would be no chests, but I do like the idea of chests personally. Even though it may not be considered "pure", it would be an excellent substitute for sponsors.

And my point with developing metal and stuff was it isn't against the rules, you just likely won't be able to do it in a normal hunger games style game because there isn't the safety and time. A modified version, mabe with a few small "tribes" facing off, each being given a default base and maybe a few days to build, would definitately be really fun. But by then, it's just another style of PvP, not Hunger Games specific.

But... a potential hunger games map could be a ruined city, and if there happened to be a forge and bloomery or something hidden in one of the buildings... ;)

still, even when there's a hidden bloomery, you'd still need the ores and charcoal to heat it, let's presume that there is a bloomery, an anvil, tools,charcoal and ore all in the same room. to make just a sword you'd need to melt 2 ingots, shape them, weld them, then form them into a sword.

due to the fact that you're never entirely safe i don't think a lot of peeps will be stupid enough to try to make a sword, they'd probably get assraped by a smart one that's waiting till they finish the double ingot so he'd just need to pick up the plans and double ingot and make it into a sword. saving him a lot of time and obtaining a sword that hasn't been killed with yet, but has been killed for.

only time at which it's possible to do this while being relatively safe is when there aren't a lot of peeps around anymore, but well if a lot of peeps are already dead then you can easily just go to the cornucopia/scout for better chests.

also, if you're the one that did most of the killing then you probably already have decent gear from drops so you wouldn't really need the bloomery etc to make better gear.

i mean it is possible to just hole up nearby and hope that nobody finds the bloomery and takes some of the resources or just finds and kill you, should you succeed at this you might be able to actually use it.

in short, yh it is possible that some peeps will succeed, but most of the time it's either unnecessary or plain stupid to try and make some gear (plain stupid--> too risky, not safe enough, too easy to get ganked by someone that wants to steal your almost finished sword/piece of armor/...)

in short, yh it is possible that some peeps will succeed, but most of the time it's either unnecessary or plain stupid to try and make some gear (plain stupid--> too risky, not safe enough, too easy to get ganked by someone that wants to steal your almost finished sword/piece of armor/...)

Presicely why I think TFC is an excellent base! Anyone is allowed to make whatever tools and equipment they want, but beyond the basics, it will be too time consuming and far too risky. And if there is some equipment laid out for you, it would still be a gamble to use it. Unless it was set on a very large map... then you might go a couple days without encountering anyone... but it is still a risk nonetheless.