Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Srgnoodles

Variation of Trunk Thickness in Differentiated Species of Flora (different trunk sizes for different trees)

85 posts in this topic

Do you guys want us to look at tree growth again? We could do it, this is a great idea, but of course we'd have to fix the length of time it takes lumber trees to grow to be more like crops, and limit the resources you get from younger trees...

hmmm.... I'll look into this.

Do you guys want us to look at tree growth again? We could do it, this is a great idea, but of course we'd have to fix the length of time it takes lumber trees to grow to be more like crops, and limit the resources you get from younger trees...

hmmm.... I'll look into this.

gyeh nyah no!

thats not at all what i was talking aboot. i was saying thst different species of trees would have different sized logs, not that they would grow over time, it just kinda mutated into that when pplz started talking about it

Edit: well as soon as they got done gawking at my dog

gyeh nyah no!

thats not at all what i was talking aboot. i was saying thst different species of trees would have different sized logs, not that they would grow over time, it just kinda mutated into that when pplz started talking about it

Edit: well as soon as they got done gawking at my dog

No, I was just joking... Sorta about liking this idea though. It's probably true that we would revisit tree growth and while this feature might get added and the length of time it takes to grow probably won't be changed, i think you guys would end up getting the raw end of the deal, having something else nerfed, so i'm not too fond of this suggestion.

Another thing based on trunk thickness is, thicker trees should produce more lumber per. However that might be a little much to ask.

It would be cool though to be able to plant a nice shade tree and it grows up and you don't loose half your view to a 3 foot wide birch tree. One may exist but I don't think I've seen a birch wider than maybe a foot or foot and a half thick. On the other hand I've seen several oak trees that are 4 or 5 feet thick, and there are or at least were many of them quite thicker than that until we got all oak furniture happy.

Another thing based on trunk thickness is, thicker trees should produce more lumber per. However that might be a little much to ask.

It would be cool though to be able to plant a nice shade tree and it grows up and you don't loose half your view to a 3 foot wide birch tree. One may exist but I don't think I've seen a birch wider than maybe a foot or foot and a half thick. On the other hand I've seen several oak trees that are 4 or 5 feet thick, and there are or at least were many of them quite thicker than that until we got all oak furniture happy.

read all posts before posting please.

I hope you know that birch trees can actually grow very quickly, and they used to be much larger. It's just that with the colonization of... well, everywhere, diseases were spread and some birch are especially susceptible to disease. These trees used to grow maybe 100 years old but their life has been reduced to between 20 and 50. There are also many beetles and other insects which eat birch leaves and burrow in their bark, overall these trees have it rough. If we are assuming that TFC generates a relatively fresh planet free of colonies, it makes sense for birch trees to grow to the same size as an oak, and unless tree disease is incorporated (which I doubt) our birch trees should live quite the happy life. I'm all for procedural tree growth though.

Of course, I'm going by the information from a unconfirmed source, I learned from my father who said he had seen the stumps (and outer bark, which rots very slowly) of birch trees that would take two people to wrap their arms around. So as usual correct me if I am wrong and disregard my information :D

Side note, after some further research, I have stumbled upon a few pictures or large birch trees, if any are interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/92782513@N00/3188816441/

http://www.dailyspeculations.com/wordpress/?p=4498

(I did not copy the images themselves because there is information that some may be interested in reading)

I hope you know that birch trees can actually grow very quickly, and they used to be much larger. It's just that with the colonization of... well, everywhere, diseases were spread and some birch are especially susceptible to disease. These trees used to grow maybe 100 years old but their life has been reduced to between 20 and 50. There are also many beetles and other insects which eat birch leaves and burrow in their bark, overall these trees have it rough. If we are assuming that TFC generates a relatively fresh planet free of colonies, it makes sense for birch trees to grow to the same size as an oak, and unless tree disease is incorporated (which I doubt) our birch trees should live quite the happy life. I'm all for procedural tree growth though.

Of course, I'm going by the information from a unconfirmed source, I learned from my father who said he had seen the stumps (and outer bark, which rots very slowly) of birch trees that would take two people to wrap their arms around. So as usual correct me if I am wrong and disregard my information :D

Side note, after some further research, I have stumbled upon a few pictures or large birch trees, if any are interested: http://www.flickr.co...N00/3188816441/

http://www.dailyspec...rdpress/?p=4498

(I did not copy the images themselves because there is information that some may be interested in reading)

again these are rare examples of humungous birches, and btw i wasnt just talking about birch trees i was talking about all of them

and no there are no colonies in TFC you are the only human as far as i can tell

the first human and his stuggle now on amc (awesome walking dead narrator)

the first human and his stuggle now on amc (awesome walking dead narrator)

Starring: Just_Another_Guy as the Protagonist

GizmoT as the Sidekick

And EternalUndeath as the Antagonist!

sorry just used random names i thought of

GizmoT as the Sidekick

oh fuck off -_-

GizmoT as the Sidekick

:D Yey! i'm starring something!

... fuck, i forgot my lines ._.

:D Yey! i'm starring something!

... fuck, i forgot my lines ._.

dont worry i forgot mine too and im not even in the movie!!

dont worry i forgot mine too and im not even in the movie!!

And I get nothing?

I managed to break the system... my topic is still marked as "hot" after a MONTH of being dead...

ALSOO

I COULD make something, but Dunk would murder my face for it...

Ahh, screw it, I'm gonna make it, sapling redos for every tree and trunk redos...

Seriously though, tell what you want done, and I'll make it then place it on a silver platter and drop it on Dunk's desk.

:trolldad:

oh fuck off -_-

But... Eternal... you get to be evil with a Purpose!

And I get nothing?

I managed to break the system... my topic is still marked as "hot" after a MONTH of being dead...

ALSOO

I COULD make something, but Dunk would murder my face for it...

Ahh, screw it, I'm gonna make it, sapling redos for every tree and trunk redos...

Seriously though, tell what you want done, and I'll make it then place it on a silver platter and drop it on Dunk's desk.

:trolldad:

umm, i dont quite get what you're trying to say here

ps: flufferes got a hug

read all posts before posting please.

In reference to what?

There's the op, and then a page about dog pictures, then some inaccurate assumptions that the op was about trees growing over time instead of popping in with different trunk thickness depending on tree type, then mention of of tree growth time having younger trees give less material. Then after that mention that if trees took time to grow like crops it might be harmful to player survival.

Nothing references my response to the op which has nothing to do with growth time and only mentions that naturally thicker tree species should have thicker looking trunks and smaller trees from nature should have thinner trunks.

My response to that is a 3 foot thick oak log should produce more lumber than a 1 foot thick birch log.

My response to that is a 3 foot thick oak log should produce more lumber than a 1 foot thick birch log.

and i agree, i was actually going to put this in the OP but i got lazy

again these are rare examples of humungous birches, and btw i wasnt just talking about birch trees i was talking about all of them

Yeah, that's my point. It once wasn't rare. Technically without diseases it wouldn't be rare. And yeah, some trees are definitely different sizes and thickness, just birches specifically are not a good example. :)

Yeah, that's my point. It once wasn't rare. Technically without diseases it wouldn't be rare. And yeah, some trees are definitely different sizes and thickness, just birches specifically are not a good example. :)

eh i used birches as an example 'cause a lot of my neighbors have em in their front yards, and i noticed that they were really skinny the other day

Maybe even the thicker trunks require metal axes to be cut? Such as sequioia/kapok/other

I started jotting down notes about how I'd design a mod similar to TFC, though with a different goal in mind (I like some of the aspects of TFC, but I'm disapointed with others*). It's unlikely that I'd ever work on or even complete this hypothetical mod, but your comment fits with a design goal I had: having clear teirs of not only metals, but wood, stone, and food sources. And that, generally speaking, the Tn tools would be used for Tn jobs (so a T1 axe cuts down a T1 tree, a T1 farming implement works with T1 crops). Higher level tools still work, of course, but idealy you'd have teired up across the board around the same time.

So some trees could only be chopped down with a certain level of axe. It's sketchy at the moment, but I ordered them (roughly) by hardness, increasing hardness would need better tools (my penciled in table currently has oak at the top, paired with Iron, Platinum, and Vanadium metal teir). Sequoia and kapok currently T1 trees, but that should likely change, simply due to trunk width.

Additionally, a lower teir tool can work for the teir directly above, but at a sever durability hit (so cast iron, wrought iron, nickel, and cupronickle would suffice in a pinch in order to chop down an oak, or dig through T4 rock).

Anyway, just some notes I was doodling about with.

*I realize that I'm going to take some flak for this, but having to baby sit a camp fire to smelt ore one nugget at a time is silly. Just throw the whole lot in! Then there's clay molds which "only exist to bake into porceline molds" which is a thing that bothers me about some mods: items that can only be used in a single crafting recipie (or ones that have no use, eg. TFC's gemstones at current).

I started jotting down notes about how I'd design a mod similar to TFC, though with a different goal in mind (I like some of the aspects of TFC, but I'm disapointed with others*). It's unlikely that I'd ever work on or even complete this hypothetical mod, but your comment fits with a design goal I had: having clear teirs of not only metals, but wood, stone, and food sources. And that, generally speaking, the Tn tools would be used for Tn jobs (so a T1 axe cuts down a T1 tree, a T1 farming implement works with T1 crops). Higher level tools still work, of course, but idealy you'd have teired up across the board around the same time.

So some trees could only be chopped down with a certain level of axe. It's sketchy at the moment, but I ordered them (roughly) by hardness, increasing hardness would need better tools (my penciled in table currently has oak at the top, paired with Iron, Platinum, and Vanadium metal teir). Sequoia and kapok currently T1 trees, but that should likely change, simply due to trunk width.

Additionally, a lower teir tool can work for the teir directly above, but at a sever durability hit (so cast iron, wrought iron, nickel, and cupronickle would suffice in a pinch in order to chop down an oak, or dig through T4 rock).

Anyway, just some notes I was doodling about with.

*I realize that I'm going to take some flak for this, but having to baby sit a camp fire to smelt ore one nugget at a time is silly. Just throw the whole lot in! Then there's clay molds which "only exist to bake into porceline molds" which is a thing that bothers me about some mods: items that can only be used in a single crafting recipie (or ones that have no use, eg. TFC's gemstones at current).

ok yeah we already discussed this, axes can cut any form of tree, but harder trees would take more time/durrability to cut

also, about the everything being teired, nyeh i kinda dont like it, like what if you got stuck in a place that only consists of T4 rock and T6 trees in the very beginning, then you'd be screwed

and i agree with the molds having only one use but seriously, what other use would an unfired ingot mold made of clay have?

and i agree with the molds having only one use but seriously, what other use would an unfired ingot mold made of clay have?

well since it's still soft clay, perhaps you could put it in a crafting grid to 'decraft' it into 5 clay...

...hmm, adding to Tiny Tweaks

ok yeah we already discussed this, axes can cut any form of tree, but harder trees would take more time/durrability to cut

Yes, I'm aware that TFC will be (is already?) using variable durability damage for various hardnesses of wood. Wasn't what I was replying about.

also, about the everything being teired, nyeh i kinda dont like it, like what if you got stuck in a place that only consists of T4 rock and T6 trees in the very beginning, then you'd be screwed

Like I said, different design goal than TFC.

As for the concern, it'd be closer to vanilla in terms of progression: harder rocks are found deeper. The T1 rocks are things like sandstone, chalk, and siltstone. All sedimentary and near-surface rocks.

As for trees, the common ones are all T1: ash, pine, birch. You'd be able to find one pretty easily regardless of where you start (old growth pine forest? Hit up a pine tree, but the giant sequoias are out of your league for now. Start in a Deciduous forest? Head for the ash and birtch, but the larger oaks are too much for your beginning tools. Jungles would also not consist entirely of kapok, but would have other trees as well such as corkwood; kapok would be reserved for the large jungle trees).

Actually, that would be my ingot mold. If you've ever done any kind of poured substance molding (like plaster), your mold should idealy be soft. Clay, sand, alginate, wax (ever read Johnny Tremain?)...all soft and great for making ingots.

There would be higher teir molds, as well, for making some items (such as cast iron tools). Those would be reusable and have a durability counter (their durability directly dictating the starting durability of the tool).

Yes, I'm aware that TFC will be (is already?) using variable durability damage for various hardnesses of wood. Wasn't what I was replying about.

Like I said, different design goal than TFC.

As for the concern, it'd be closer to vanilla in terms of progression: harder rocks are found deeper. The T1 rocks are things like sandstone, chalk, and siltstone. All sedimentary and near-surface rocks.

As for trees, the common ones are all T1: ash, pine, birch. You'd be able to find one pretty easily regardless of where you start (old growth pine forest? Hit up a pine tree, but the giant sequoias are out of your league for now. Start in a Deciduous forest? Head for the ash and birtch, but the larger oaks are too much for your beginning tools. Jungles would also not consist entirely of kapok, but would have other trees as well such as corkwood; kapok would be reserved for the large jungle trees).

Actually, that would be my ingot mold. If you've ever done any kind of poured substance molding (like plaster), your mold should idealy be soft. Clay, sand, alginate, wax (ever read Johnny Tremain?)...all soft and great for making ingots.

There would be higher teir molds, as well, for making some items (such as cast iron tools). Those would be reusable and have a durability counter (their durability directly dictating the starting durability of the tool).

1. yes i know i was thinking a more extreme measure of that, seeing as its noticable but not all that important currently, you dont wanna try and cut up so you dont want to cut up something really dense and hard like hickory with a stone axe

2. if it's a different design basis than TFC then why did you post it on TFC forums. the stone makes sense, but trees not really, you can knock down most kinds of trees by smacking it with a stone axe, eventually the trees gonna break, although i do agree that sequoias and kapok should require a metal axe or saw to cut down

3. yeah now that i think about it, molds should be soft, or at least break when you get the ingot out if they stay ceramic, but heigher teir molds, meh,

and cast iron tools... no no no and no. do you know how terrible those would be?, they would be brittle and dull, and dont even think about a cast iron sword. might as well beat them with a metal pole

1. yes i know i was thinking a more extreme measure of that, seeing as its noticable but not all that important currently, you dont wanna try and cut up so you dont want to cut up something really dense and hard like hickory with a stone axe

Precisely.

2. if it's a different design basis than TFC then why did you post it on TFC forums. the stone makes sense, but trees not really, you can knock down most kinds of trees by smacking it with a stone axe, eventually the trees gonna break, although i do agree that sequoias and kapok should require a metal axe or saw to cut down

Two parter:

a] Posted because the post was suggesting something that I myself had come to a conclusion about for a hypothetical mod.

b] As for "eventually cutting it down," yes, in theory, you could, in real life. That's part of the reason why I'd allow Tn items to cut/break/whatever Tn+1 materials, but at a severe penalty (like 4 damage to the tool, rather than 1). It allows that flexibility, while still maintaining a semblance of "you just can't do that yet" progression (incidentally, only dirt and gravel would be diggable by hand, dirt would require a shovel: you tried digging post holes with your hands lately?).

3. yeah now that i think about it, molds should be soft, or at least break when you get the ingot out if they stay ceramic, but heigher teir molds, meh,

and cast iron tools... no no no and no. do you know how terrible those would be?, they would be brittle and dull, and dont even think about a cast iron sword. might as well beat them with a metal pole

Never said that a cast iron sword/pick/whatever would be very good. Nor did I say that cast iron would be used for those things. 'Twas merely an example (I haven't yet gotten to that part of the design doc). As for higher teir molds, the benefit would be reduced crafting time of your tools. Rather than needing to hammer the metal into an ingot, then heat the ingot, and hammer it again into an item, you'd simply melt the ore into the mold, cool it off, and pop out your tool.

The aim is to allow repeated and quick creation of higher teir items without having to work the metal two, three, six times* for one tool. I'm aiming for initial up-front costs breaking into a teir, with lessened workload staying there.**

*Red steel, anyone? Takes 6 trips to the anvil per bar.

**Consider TFC's stone tools. Getting your first one requires finding some rocks and then figuring out the pattern with knapping. Once the pattern is known, it's fairly trivial to knock out a new one. TFC though, requires more work and time investment for the higher teir tools, and the higher up you go, the more work is involved per item. I'm pretty sure that even with red steel available, I'd still make stone axes, shovels, and the like, simply because their creation cost is so low.