Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Holy_Shield

Smithing

23 posts in this topic

Need help, cannot smith anything.

I cannot seem to get the lines to ever line up using those rules.

I can make ingots no problem, but turning anything into even a basic tool forget it.

If there was a way to trade for tools in the game I'd just give up and do it.

May end up breaking keyboards soon.

What exactly are you having trouble with? overshooting, or just following the rules? maybe watch a video from Crysyn (the spotter's guide) or Heinrich, in the LP section of the forums.

Also tell how how "hit last" and "hit not last" makes sense in the same recipe.

Hit last means the very last move you make has to be hit, but hit not last, is the opposite, the rules track the last 3 moves you make, so Bend, draw, hit = hit last, and hit,draw, shrink =hit not last. so 2nd, or 3rd to last is the latter.

they are both in the same recipe and the 1st and 2nd rule

Then you would do something like any/hit, any/hit, hit. so the 3rd or 2nd has to be hit, as well as the last. so hit,draw, hit would work for that recipe.

also, hit includes light and hard hit.

To me that looks confusing because how can something have hit not on last and hit last at the same time.

Hmm? okay what i do in that circumstance, is just get the bar a little to the right of the goal, (like a cm) then use light hit twice, does that help?

not to mention losing your fucking ingot when you have the meter go 1 pixel too far.

just trying to make a chisel with t0 and everytime ive tried smithing its been nothing but frustration and a curse fest for me, not sure how this part of the game is fun to people.

You must be wayyy overestimating, i've never lost an ingot, 'cept due to heat, i would really look at a tutorial video.

To me that looks confusing because how can something have hit not on last and hit last at the same time.

they are both in the same recipe and the 1st and 2nd rule

Hit, last

Hit, not last

Means that of the last three actions, two of them need to be hits. Either the last and next-to-last or the last, and third-last.

Essentially read the list from the bottom up as your last three actions.

1) Hit, last

2) Hit, not last

3) Draw, not last

Reads:

[everything else], draw, hit, hit

the draw hit hit worked, i guess my problem is im reading them from the top down?

Maybe, yeah.

I just started playing recently too and had the same problem with the chisel. The rules are actually the last 3 moves you need to make. I don't think the wiki is clear on that point. So the chisel can end with draw, hit, hit or hit, draw, hit.

Originally I thought that "draw, not last" meant I could do anything that wasn't draw, so like you I was confused by both "hit, last" and "hit, not last" in the same rules.

The problem I'm having is getting the arrows to line up properly. To give a concrete example... I am doing the last stage of some bronze boots, and the instructions are:

(1) Shrink - Third from Last

(2) Bend - Second from Last

(3) Bend - Last

From a position where the arrows are perfectly aligned, I do the following to move the arrows the correct distance apart to finish with the instructions (which should be the direct opposite of the instructions):

(1) Draw

(2) Medium Hit

(3) Medium Hit

And then follow the instructions... alas the arrows don't end up fully aligned!!!!  :angry:

Does anyone happen to know what I am doing wrong (or is there just a random factor built in for the hell of it)?

Franbo

The green and red buttons aren't exact opposites of each other. So the Medium Hit moves the arrow a little bit less than the Bend does.

Doh! That would explain it... back to the forge then!

Thanks muchly.

IMO:  Take a piece of metal you don't need (not easy to get sometimes, I know) and get the two arrows exactly lined up.  Then click one of the red buttons, then the "corresponding" green button (I know they aren't exactly the same...that's the point of this) and look at how much the arrows are off by.  That gives you an idea of their difference.  You do this enough you start to get a feel for what each combination will give you and can figure out where you need to have the arrows to start with.  It's more art than science.

Good tip.

I a getting there now (first set of bronze armour all done), and it is indeed more of an art.

As soon as I was certain the red/green actions weren't opposites I figured it out, I was just worried it was some kind of random variance due to a low black smithing skill.

The rules only refer to the last 3 actions taken. So "hit last" means that the last action must be a hit. "hit not last" means one of the two actions that ISN'T the last one must be hit.

so "hit last, hit not last" is either something-hit-hit or hit-something-hit.

...it is indeed more of an art.As soon as I was certain the red/green actions weren't opposites I figured it out, I was just worried it was some kind of random variance due to a low black smithing skill.

Also, I've found it helpful to figure out the relative motion of each of the techniques. For example, a medium hit moves the indicator exactly twice as much as a light hit. With a bit of experimentation you can figure out precisely how much a given "pattern" will move the indicator AND you can learn combinations to move the indicator to any position you want.

What I often do for tricky patterns is:

1) line the two indicators up perfectly with any combination of techniques2) use my excel cheatsheet to figure out an "inverse" of the pattern3) use the actual pattern

I'd offer to post my own results but I expect that would get me banned :P

The rules only refer to the last 3 actions taken. So "hit last" means that the last action must be a hit. "hit not last" means one of the two actions that ISN'T the last one must be hit.

so "hit last, hit not last" is either something-hit-hit or hit-something-hit.

TFC Poetry