Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desthion

Colored glass

13 posts in this topic

i would like to suggest the ability to make colored glass by putting dyes in the auxiliary slots on a forge while heating sand up to create colored glass

i would like to suggest the ability to make colored glass by putting dyes in the auxiliary slots on a forge while heating sand up to create colored glass

I'm not ruling coloured glass out, but I am for sure ruling it out the way you have outlined. Stained or coloured glass is not made from dyes, and I'd certainly like to see you try to mix in mashed up rose petals to a lump of molten glass. REAL stained glass is made from mineral and metal traces that are added to the silica before it is melted. it's actually nano-particles of gold that produce the most striking crimson stained glass windows.

I'm not ruling coloured glass out, but I am for sure ruling it out the way you have outlined. Stained or coloured glass is not made from dyes, and I'd certainly like to see you try to mix in mashed up rose petals to a lump of molten glass. REAL stained glass is made from mineral and metal traces that are added to the silica before it is melted. it's actually nano-particles of gold that produce the most striking crimson stained glass windows.

I would actually say the color is more mineral dependant and they do add metal salts and oxides like hematite. It works like colors on jewels.

I would actually say the color is more mineral dependant and they do add metal salts and oxides like hematite. It works like colors on jewels.

I didn't say it wasn't more mineral dependent, I just cited one example that i could grab off the top of my head that just happened to be with a metal.

And while the chemical function of light refraction may be the same in gems and crystals, the chemical component of the crystal (in this case silicate) affects which colours are produced by which minerals. For example, Emeralds are one of the crystallized phases of beryl, and are given their colour by a chromium impurity. Rubies, which are corundum or aluminum oxide, get their red colour from chromium impurities as well.

If you're going to correct me, try to generalize less, so that you're not misinterpreted.

I didn't say it wasn't more mineral dependent, I just cited one example that i could grab off the top of my head that just happened to be with a metal.

And while the chemical function of light refraction may be the same in gems and crystals, the chemical component of the crystal (in this case silicate) affects which colours are produced by which minerals. For example, Emeralds are one of the crystallized phases of beryl, and are given their colour by a chromium impurity. Rubies, which are corundum or aluminum oxide, get their red colour from chromium impurities as well.

If you're going to correct me, try to generalize less, so that you're not misinterpreted.

I wasn't trying to correct you, you are very accurate. I just had to add and you may have misinterpreted me, because what I've tried to say is exactly what you've said. But yeah... I should be more specific.

Silicates are the most diverse group of minerals, in color and shape. Opals are a great example of how colors are given to "glass", it is a deposit of silica from the evaporation of water in veins. Depending on the salts that are depositated with them and in what order makes a very colorful gem and distinct from each other. It is rather easy to make it on the lab.

To expand on what dunk said, the stained glass in old school cathedrals is made with nano particles of gold, but not just red. In fact the shape of the nano particles effects the color. So you can have gold putting off several colors depending on the shape of the particles. I don't know off hand all the color varients in relation to shape and size of the particles or all the metals they use for this, but this would be a great way to implement colored glass. Firstly because it is how they make it irl. Secondly because its not just, get a bunch of roses and sand and you have red glass on day 3. Would make haveing colored glass on smp a goal and even art form on larger servers that crafters can spec in.

Maybe you could use ores instead of dye?

If you used the same mechanic used for pulverizing limestone into flux on various ores you could very easily produce a wide range of mineral salts for this purpose. Said salts could not only color glass but ceramic glazes. A brief google search provides some quick results...

Cadmium Sulfide is used to make Yellow glass

Gold Chloride is Red

Cobalt Oxide is Indigo

Manganese Dioxide is Purple

Nickel Oxide is Violet

Sulfur is Yellow-Amber

Chromic Oxide is a Kelly Green

Uranium Oxide is Yellow-green

Iron Oxide can yield greens and browns

Selenium Oxide yields various Reds

Carbon Oxides produce ambers

Antimony Oxides produce white glass

Copper, depending on the ion, produces Blue, Green, or Red.

Tin makes White

Lead makes Yellow

Manganese Dioxide and Sodium Nitrate both are used to remove colors.

Source: http://geology.com/articles/color-in-glass.shtml

These are the same compounds responsible for both stained glass and ceramic finishes that you find on glazed clay.

Copper, depending on the ion, produces Blue, Green, or Red.

copper:

Posted Image

(azurite - Cu3(CO3)2(OH)2 )

Posted Image

(Malachite - Cu2CO3(OH)2 )

Posted Image

(Cuprite Crystal - Cu2O )

How about we add sands that originated from various rock types with various c-ohwaitthat'salreadyin.

copper:

Posted Image

(azurite - Cu3(CO3)2(OH)2 )

Posted Image

(Malachite - Cu2CO3(OH)2 )

Posted Image

(Cuprite Crystal - Cu2O )

That's great except the colours of the glass don't match the crystals. Copper Oxide makes turquoise glass.

That's great except the colours of the glass don't match the crystals. Copper Oxide makes turquoise glass.

Wikipedia right?

"2 to 3% of copper oxide[disambiguation needed] produces a turquoise color."

"Pure metallic copper produces a very dark red, opaque glass, which is sometimes used as a substitute for gold in the production of ruby-colored glass."

I have to say I didn't know that, my guess would be that they are talking about Cu(II) in CuO which is blue, cuprite(Cu(II)) is red like the crystal there.

Maybe this link will give a better look at how it could work... http://www.rci.rutge...olorGlasEng.pdf

Thats funny, I had this idea on a server today... joking about painting windows black

Anyway, stained glass would be a great addition :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0