Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Just_Another_Guy_:)

Let's make a general installation guide

23 posts in this topic

You know, i have noticed something in a good number of threads (most in support, though some people seem to forget that section exists at all) : A lot of the bugs those threads complain about are 'caused by the poster installing the mod incorrectly.

At a start, it wasn't that common; Most of the players of the mod weren't new to minecraft, but old players completely bored of normal MC, that had tried a lot of mods before knowing this one and therefore had a lot of modding experience. But now, as the mod gained popularity, a new hoard of players have arised between our troops: newbies to modding, which often make mistakes 'cause they don't know what they are doing, as well as people who don't know english very well, and they often translate intructions incorrectly due to a complicated language.

Look. I know there are plenty of modding guides there, obviously including ones in the MC forums, but not only there. I know this guides have been translated in most widely known languages. But still, i think we should make a list of general rules, simple rules, so a player completely new to MC modding can easily get started on it. Just going "Download an installer" won't help, 'cause it's possible to understand the installer even less than the manual instructions. And even when we can say "Why a general guide? let's make one for our mod, we don't have to care about other mods", you gotta remember this mod is still in beta, and we actually are beta-testers of it, as Bioxx has said in the past. Some people, for this task to be easier for them, will need some support mods.

So, what am i asking for basically? For you guys to help me create this list. Even when i know something about this, it would be better if this was a recollection from everyone's experience. I will update the list every time i have to; If i have the needed support, this list can be compelte in less than a week. But of course, i need your feedback, guys ;)

GENERAL MODDING RULES

1) If the mod includes API in the name (Player API), it must be installed in minecraft.jar

2) Always check the mod's post on the MC forums. Look for the installation instructions; there, it should tell you whether it has to be installed on minecraft.jar or placed on the mods folder. Mods with special installation instructions will have them somewhere, whether it is in the mc forums's post or their own page.

3) If you plan on installing multiple mods, check the compatibility section in their's mc forums post, or their own forums. If you can't find it;

3a) Check if the mod is a mod's folder mod or a .jar mod (this is, where is installed). If it's installed in the .jar, and it's NOT an API, it's likely for it to 'cause incompatibility problems.

4) If you can't open or play MC after installing a mod, make sure you installed it right. If you did, go to the page of the mod you tried to install, look for a place where to report it, and do so. From there, the users or mods will tell you what to do; listen carefully, generally they know what they are saying.

5) When checking the post in the MC forums, in the installation section (or somewhere in the post) it will say which other mods it needs to work when installed. Make sure you install those before you try and install the one you want. Generally, the mods it needs will be MCforge, Modloader or APIs.

6) If you are going to install multiple .jar mod, make sure you do it in the right order, or otherwise it probably won't work. Generally, the order is: MCforge/Modloader, APIs, major mods*, and minor mods.

6a)*Some major mods need to be installed lastly, if in doubt check in that mod's page.

7)When you are going to install multiple mods, take your time. Install one at a time, then check if MC works after each install. This will help you realise which mod may be causing the problems if problems occur.

8) Make sure you have a version of the mod made for the version of MC that you are using. ( e.g. don't use a 1.3.2 version of TFC for MC 1.4.2)

Glossary:

This is just a list of commonly used terms in the modding community, which are defined for newbies to familiarize with them.

Base Mod: These are mods made exclusively for making the creating of other mods easy. The vast majority of mods worth your time require base mods. Generally, MCForge, Modloader or APIs

UPDATE: These are mods that edit minecraft.jar by overwritting it's contents, in order to work. While there is a lot that add content, those who you will be installing more often are MCForge, Modloader, and APIs in general, as these mods are created with the strict purpose of facilitate the creation of other mods. In other words, most of the mods you want to install will need one of these to function.

Major Mod: These are mods that add great amounts of content: new mobs, new blocks, new items, new things to see and do. A great example is the mod in which's forums is this guide, Terrafirmacraft; these mods completely change the way you play MC. These mods, however, are known because they are quite commonly big incompatibility creators, and you will rarely be able to install multiple major mods at a time, unless someone else prepared an installer for you to do it (like the technic launcher).

Minor Mod: These are mods that add just little features, though sometimes really useful. They generally just add functionality that make the game more comfortable for you. Rei's minimap and Inventory Tweaks are good examples of this. These mods will rarely 'cause problems with compatibility, and you can have literally hundreds of them installed at a time with no problem; that is, if you know what you are doing.

Compatibility: This term refers to the ability of a group of mods to function together while installed in the same jar. Some mods are very compatible, meaning you will rarely get troubles with MC because of them (however, this is still possible). Some others literally cut off a lot of mods from working with them (Better Than Wolfs being the most known example). The smaller the mod, the more compatibility; if the mod is also placed in the mods folder, you probably won't have any problem at all from it.

Mod pack: As the name indicates, it's a group of mods which were put together and prepared in a installer to allow you to install them easily. Mod pack's contents (this is, the mods in the pack) are generally listed either in their website or in their thread in the MC forums. Note that this are the less compatible thing you could ever install in you MC, as they can sometimes include around 5 major mods at a time. If you only install the pack itself, then it should work perfectly; if it doesn't, report it. If you install something else and it doesn't works, odds are the problem is that other thing you installed, and the community of the mod pack won't help you now. You are warned.

Minecraft.jar: This is basically the file which makes minecraft work. You can find it by opening any folder, erasing the url and instead writing:

Windows 7: C:UsersYour User NameAppDataRoaming.minecraftbin

Windows Vista/XP: C:Documents and Settings*your user name*Application Data.minecraftbin

Linux: /home/Your User Name/.minecraft/bin

Mac OS/X: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin

If you have Winrar installed, by right clicking minecraft.jar's icon and executing it with this program, you will be able to see and edit MC classes. .Jar mods are installed here, and you just have to open the .rar/.zip archive you downloaded, and place it's contents inside minecraft.jar's window (executed with Winrar).

Installer: An installer is a file, that, when double clicked, automatically installs the mod for you. It patches the minecraft.jar. A manual installation entitles you to either putting zip/JAR files containing mod classes in the mods folder, or inserting classes into the .Jar file. Examples of installers are the Sonic Ether's Unbeleivable Shaders Mod, Single Player Commands, or a mod pack such as the FTB launcher.

API: An API is a group of classes that help make modding easier. Instead of having to edit base classes each time someone makes a complicated mod(like TFC), the mod can just use that API and all mods that use that API will most likely compatible. They are used for making more mods compatible, and for making complicated features easier to code without causing large compatibility issues. Some examples of APIs include:

• Forge (helps allround with modding)
  • PlayerAPI (helps to make changes to the player such as the amount of health, how the player is rendered, etc.)
  • DimensionAPI (outdated, helped to make dimensions and added lots of variables that dimensions could use, like moon size, sky color, etc.)

Special thanks to Kimbblesrath for making this guide possible, as a good part of this post was added by him :3

-snip-

You should change the title to general DOWNLOAD guide. Because I thought it was like making mods for minecraft, and I was like "What!?" so yeah. Other than that, good tutorial.

Also, you spelled some things wrong :P

1) If the mod includes API in the name (Player API), it must be installed in minecraft.jar

2) Always check the mod's post on the MC forums. Look for the installation instructions; there, it should tell you whether it has to be installed on minecraft.jar or placed on the mods folder. Mods with special installation instructions will have them somewhere, whether it is in the mc forums's post or their own page.

3) If you plan on installing multiple mods, check the compatibility section in their's mc forums post, or their own forums. If you can't find it;

3a) Check if the mod is a mod's folder mod or a .jar mod (this is, where is installed). If it's installed in the .jar, and it's NOT an API, it's likely for it to 'cause incompatibility problems.

The All-Seeing Eye has educated you. Be honoured that is is willing to endow you with knowledge worthy of a god.

:P

You should change the title to general DOWNLOAD guide. Because I thought it was like making mods for minecraft, and I was like "What!?" so yeah. Other than that, good tutorial.

Also, you spelled some things wrong :P

The All-Seeing Eye has educated you. Be honoured that is is willing to endow you with knowledge worthy of a god.

:P

Yeah, i just realize that too, name changed to something more fitting :P

About the mistakes (one of the corrected ones in particular), here you have: http://www.dailywrit...eather-whether/

The other, though, it's a real mistake and i'm gonna correct it right now :3 thank you.

Other than that, something to add to the list?

EDIT: Yeah, about what i just underlined... that's what happens when i search for an article, find it but don't actually readt it :P sorry...

Yeah, i just realize that too, name changed to something more fitting :P

About the mistakes (one of the corrected ones in particular), here you have: http://www.dailywrit...eather-whether/

The other, though, it's a real mistake and i'm gonna correct it right now :3 thank you.

Other than that, something to add to the list?

Yes.

If the installation does not work, make sure you installed the mod properly. If you did, and it doesn't work, submit an error/crash report to the mod author/ mod post.

Another one:

Make sure you have all the dependencies for the mod(like Forge, PlayerAPI, etc.)

Another:

If installing Optifine, always install it last to ensure it does not clash.

Another:

Make sure you have installed the .jar mods in the right order; mods folder mods don't matter which order they go in.

Some of these might not fit, but ya there are my ideas. And as for the wether/whether thing. Cool article, but I don't think a ram/sheep is in the right context here...

Some of these might not fit, but ya there are my ideas. And as for the wether/whether thing. Cool article, but I don't think a ram/sheep is in the right context here...

Yeah, that's why i made the edit, sorry for that... -_-

Remember it is a guide for people who are just starting in installing mods. These rules have to use the simplest language possible, so anyone willing to understand it can understand perfectly, even when it's not their own language.

For instance, the ones you just said could be simplified as:

If you can't open or play MC after installing a mod, make sure you installed it right. If you did, go to the page of the mod you tried to install, look for a place where to report it, and do so. From there, the users or mods will tell you what to do; listen carefully, generally they know what they are saying.

When checking the post in the MC forums, in the installation section (or somewhere in the post) it will say which other mods it needs to work when installed. Make sure you install those before you try and install the one you want. Generally, the mods it needs will be MCforge, Modloader or APIs.

(Optifine case is covered in the 2 rule i already wrote)

If you are going to install multiple .jar mod, make sure you do it in the right order, or otherwise it probably won't work. Generally, the order is: MCforge/Modloader, APIs, major mods*, and minor mods.

*Some major mods need to be installed lastly, if in doubt check in that mod's page.

Gonna add all these to the list, along with:

When you are going to install multiple mods, take your time. Install one at a time, then check if MC works after each install. This will help you realise which mod may be causing the problems if problems occur.

-snip-

Ok sorry. I should have realized that. Next time I make an addition, I will word it in simple language.

More for the glossary

Minecraft.jar:

A JAR (Java ARchive ) file is a file format used to group many Java classes together. The minecraft.jar is the file located in .minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar that contains all of the java classes and texture files that minecraft uses. Mods that need to be installed in the Minecraft.jar are Base Mods. These mods modify classes in a way that make them have to directly overwrite the classes in the .jar. These mods are API's like Forge and Modloader, but can be other mods as well.

EDIT: THE ALL-SEEING EYE HAS EVAPORATED ITSELF!!!!!!! DOUBLE POSTS....... ANTI - EVAPORATION MEASURES.........

Lol, i thought base mods where just the mods used to mod minecraft more easily. Yeah, let me edit that.

Lol, i thought base mods where just the mods used to mod minecraft more easily. Yeah, let me edit that.

They usually are, but they are also what I said. :P

EDIT: Oh! *stretches* that was a rough condensation...

Anyway, you spelled warned wrong. You spelled it warmed.

More for the glossary

Installer:

An installer is a file, that, when double clicked, automatically installs the mod for you. It patches the minecraft.jar. A regular installation (manual) entitles you to either putting zip/JAR files containing mod classes in the mods folder, or inserting classes into the .Jar file. Examples of installers are the Sonic Ether's Unbeleivable Shaders Mod, Single Player Commands, or a mod pack shuch as the FTB launcher.

Edited by Kimbblesrath

Yeah, i will also need a good definition for API, 'cause i feel like i'm using that word a lot without actually explaining what they are... lol

For keeping the post from becoming extremely long, the glossary is in a spoiler now.

Also, i'm a bit sad to see no one else but you seem to be interested in this... :

Yeah, i will also need a good definition for API, 'cause i feel like i'm using that word a lot without actually explaining what they are... lol

For keeping the post from becoming extremely long, the glossary is in a spoiler now.

Also, i'm a bit sad to see no one else but you seem to be interested in this... :

I know right...

API:

An API is a group of classes that help make modding easier. Instead of having to edit base classes each time someone makes a complicated mod(like TFC), the mod can just use that API and all mods that use that API will most likely compatible. They are used for making more mods compatible, and for making complicated features easier to code without causing large compatibility issues. Some examples of APIs include:

• Forge (helps allround with modding)
  • PlayerAPI (helps to make changes to the player such as the amount of health, how the player is rendered, etc.)
  • DimensionAPI (outdated, helped to make dimensions and added lots of variables that dimensions could use, like moon size, sky color, etc.)
Also, another guideline:

8. Make sure you have a version of the mod made for the version of MC that you are using. ( e.g. don't use a 1.3.2 version of TFC for MC 1.4.2)

Adding it right now.

I AM THE ALL-SEEING EYE!!! LET MY TEARS RAIN DOWN UPON MY ENEMIES AND MY KNOWLEGE UPON MY FRIENDS!! AL HAIL THE ALL-SEEING EYE!!

Also, you are now a Fuckingly dangerous aztec god... o_O

I AM THE ALL-SEEING EYE!!! LET MY TEARS RAIN DOWN UPON MY ENEMIES AND MY KNOWLEGE UPON MY FRIENDS!! AL HAIL THE ALL-SEEING EYE!!

Also, you are now a Fuckingly dangerous aztec god... o_O

Yeah... don't fuck with me, please. You are useful, i don't wanna have to kill you :3

Yeah... don't fuck with me, please. You are useful, i don't wanna have to kill you :3

LOL even the Eye bows down to Quetzalcoatl.

LOL even the Eye bows down to Quetzalcoatl.

And even Quetzalcoatl bows down to the prehistoric fish and the italic capitalized "B"

Has anyone else even SEEN this thread? o_O

I doubt it : it had happened to me before...

What the fuck guys? 0.o

So what does that make me? Read my post in my how old am I before naming me. I basically told you guys everything except my name :P

I think this is a good idea in principle, but I'm not sure it will really make a difference. Many of the people that are having issues could have easily resolved them if they'd bothered to read and follow the installation instructions, and even when they post in the support pages sometimes they don't actually read what is offered to them. So short of putting a giant red button that says READ THIS FIRST before people can actually download the mod, I'm not sure anything would change. If there's anything teaching has taught me it's that people really really hate to read.

I think this is a good idea in principle, but I'm not sure it will really make a difference. Many of the people that are having issues could have easily resolved them if they'd bothered to read and follow the installation instructions, and even when they post in the support pages sometimes they don't actually read what is offered to them. So short of putting a giant red button that says READ THIS FIRST before people can actually download the mod, I'm not sure anything would change. If there's anything teaching has taught me it's that people really really hate to read.

Eh, well it was a good effort.....

We already worked a lot on it... : so the list stays here, even if nobody uses it. On the bright side, my friend is starting with MC, and this will make it easier for him when i start introducting him to mods... :P

And i honestly love to read. The thing is, and i guess it's the problem most people have, i simply can concentrate if i'm not interested in what i read :

And i honestly love to read. The thing is, and i guess it's the problem most people have, i simply can concentrate if i'm not interested in what i read :

Yeah... I think you're right there. But of course some people are not very interested in instructions even if it means they won't be able to do something they want to do. ;)