Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
MadDoctor5813

Plating Tools

32 posts in this topic

How about some way of plating tools with high-tier metals, so there is less cost to produce better tools. This might look like the gem tools in RP2 (RedPower 2), with the same mining speed as higher-tier tools, but lower durability in the long run. This could be done by electroplating, but I don't know if an electricity system will be added. Another idea could be some kind of welding mechanic on the anvil, or some special block created for the purpose. I don't know how this is done in real life, but those sound believable to me. People's thoughts on this are appreciated.

Did you use the search? And probably there won't be any machinery in TFC.

Edit: Oh and by the way, Welcome to the forums, only post after searching.

Did you use the search? And probably there won't be any machinery in TFC.

Edit: Oh and by the way, Welcome to the forums, only post after searching.

HIGHLY agree with Leo. The animals out in the bush can be.....let's just say wild if you don't use the search bar before posting.

Nah JK. NAH I'M SERIOUS. I have wounds to prove it.

But anyway. no offence but do you know how plating works? The way you are presenting your idea make no sense to me. The plating on a material (e.g silver on copper) is ridiculously thin. The US penny is copper plated (same in Canada where I am, except it is steel). If you scratch the surface with a nail, it easily comes off. A pickaxe when attacking stone with full force will take FAR MORE damage than being scratched by a nail.

If things are plated, it is for aesthetic reasons, not durability. Earrings are commonly plated, but they are not an item that takes a lot of damage. The plating on a pick while mining would easily wear off and you would be left with a pick, no better than it was before after a few seconds of mining. (even worse if you consider the fact that there would be ugly splotches left by the bits of plating still on the pick)

And Leo, you have to do it more flamboyantly :P Like this:

oh and,

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!! HAVE A NICE STAY!

There is plating for increased durability, chrome plating for example, needless to say that there is no place for this in TFC, right?

There is plating for increased durability, chrome plating for example, needless to say that there is no place for this in TFC, right?

Yes I forgot about chrome, but there is no chrome or chrome like metal in TFC and even if there was, the technology needed to do so would be out of TFC's time frame, so yes. Agreed. There is no place for this in TFC. Now that the actual topic is dealt with.....:P

derailment please ?.......

oh and kimbble...you cant see me :ph34r:

I downloaded minecraft in chrome, does that count?

I downloaded minecraft in chrome, does that count?

google sees you....

probably there won't be any machinery in TFC.

That's what saddens me the most.

There will be something else, like pipes...

There will be something else, like pipes...

does it really have to be pipes?

okay, for liquid i can see the use for pipes but if you ask me, when it comes to transporting items, i would much MUCH more like something out of railcraft!

Building giant tubing system that automatically sorts all your items in Tekkit is fun! but in terrafirmacraft... naaaaah! man would i like to see something cool done with tracks and minecarts!

but honestly, machinery is waaay out of our time zone, which ends around the 15th century? correct me if i'm wrong

Egypt had mechanical contraptions

Egypt had mechanical contraptions

well machinery as in like, modern industrialized machinery is not going to happen

of course primitive mehcanical objects are fine, we've already got a quern and bellows

but honestly, machinery is waaay out of our time zone, which ends around the 15th century? correct me if i'm wrong

16th century :)

OK, my plating idea was kind of failed.

Nice first post, self!

I just came up with an new idea, kind of in the same vein. (Get it?)

What about tipping tools with materials, like diamond tipped cutting tools, like they have in the real world.

Normally, I would just suggest altering crafting recipes for such a thing, but this is TFC, so I guess this would require some kind of welding device.

BTW, I did use search and it came up with nothing, nor was anything to do with plating in the directory that's pinned in the sub-forum.

: you know giving a tool a diamond tip requires tools that would be both out of the time period of the mod, and far too complicated to do for so little output?

Honestly, no. Hold it while I figure out how this works. ---- Ok, turns out you can't just weld or stab or glue a tip on, there has to be ground up diamonds actually inside the metal substrate thingy. I suppose we could simplify it, and that does fulfill the believability for uneducated dopes like me. Wow, my ideas stink.

Honestly, no. Hold it while I figure out how this works. ---- Ok, turns out you can't just weld or stab or glue a tip on, there has to be ground up diamonds actually inside the metal substrate thingy. I suppose we could simplify it, and that does fulfill the believability for uneducated dopes like me. Wow, my ideas stink.

oh don't put yourself down like that, thats our job! :D

I feel like part of the community already!

I feel like part of the community already!

Taking that good the fact that your ideas are being rapidly rejected and your thread derailed? My friend, you were destined for this community :)

I have found a place where I belong.

You are an asset for this community, change your avatar and you're good to go.

Edit: you're 12? Today I'm feeling older and older...

You are an asset for this community, change your avatar and you're good to go.

Edit: you're 12? Today I'm feeling older and older...

BUT YOU CANT BE ANYTHING EYE RELATED!!!!

I shouldn't have changed my name to the All Seeing Eye. I am stuck with this until the 26th.

I have found a place where I belong.

Are you from Toronto?

Nope, Brampton, town of Bramalea City Center, and possibly the smallest lockers in the nation.