Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DoodTheDud

Saplings

17 posts in this topic

Saplings spawning naturally is a pretty damn amazing system, but it seems odd that I can deforest an entire area with no concern because I know saplings will pop up out of nowhere.

What I propose is the following changes:

-make saplings no longer drop from leaves

-make saplings spawn based on nearby trees, rather than on the biome

-make saplings collectable by digging around the dirt holding its roots with a shovel, and transplanting it to a new location

-make saplings only stack to 1

I feel like this is a more logical way to do forests - trees can be endangered by careless logging, and trees don't become insanely hard to get, but they are still felt as valuable and still require care to harvest, much like other resources in the game.

Any thoughts?

Trees in general are still a work in progress and dunk has expressed many of his thoughts on the topic of trees, forests, and transplanting.

-make saplings no longer drop from leaves

This makes no sense, at all.

This makes no sense, at all.

What makes you say that?

I'm no expert on plant biology, so I could be wrong, but I am fairly damn certain you can't take a single tree, rip apart its smaller branches and leaves, and plant another 8 trees from the meterial you collected.

Most trees grow best from naturally distributing seeds around them after pollination from other nearby trees, no?

I don't think it's realistic to create a forest from a larger tree you cut down.

From a gameplay perspective, it stops trees being what they are now - insanely easy to get in ludicrously high amounts with absolutely no need to take any kind of steps to prevent overharvesting.

Trees practically throw themselves at you in TFC.

Ideally the tree would fall to the ground and require you to chop at the fallen trunk to obtain wood, but that might be a bit much to program.

I did not know trees were a big WIP atm however, thanks for letting me know, and I do not mean to be argumentative. I just don't understand where you're coming from when you state that part of my idea makes no sense and give no reasonings for your statement.

Most trees can be grown from cuttings.

If you ever order a tree to be delivered you usually pay thousands of dollars for the delivery of a full tree, or you receive a walking-stick via UPS which you stick into the ground.

Most trees can be grown from cuttings.

If you ever order a tree to be delivered you usually pay thousands of dollars for the delivery of a full tree, or you receive a walking-stick via UPS which you stick into the ground.

Doesn't that require very specific parts of the tree at a specific stage of growth?

Oooh! That gives me an idea. Maybe you could use a specific tool on leaves of the tree or parts of the trunk to get a cutting, which takes longer to grow than saplings, while saplings grow around the tree naturally but can be transplanted with effort.

Doesn't that require very specific parts of the tree at a specific stage of growth?

Hell if I know. I just send them money and they send me a stick.

We are likely to see a seed mechanic for trees anyways. Saplings from leaves was more of a temporary solution for a way to require the player the work for their saplings instead of just chop and collect.

As far as I can tell, self-sprouting saplings were added on the tail end of heavy complaints about the difficulties of the previous sapling mechanics. It is also a very new feature and thus lacks the time required for a feature to mature into a playable balance.

In response to complaints? Goodness, I hope that's just a rumor. I thought the appeal of this mod was in its extraordinary, realistic difficulty and careful preservation of resources with long-term planning and short-term survival being balanced.

In response to complaints? Goodness, I hope that's just a rumor. I thought the appeal of this mod was in its extraordinary, realistic difficulty and careful preservation of resources with long-term planning and short-term survival being balanced.

The release of the mechanic coincides with numerous complaints.

However, it may be coincidence, and may simply be a mechanic to jump-start the further development of forests.

The release of the mechanic coincides with numerous complaints.

However, it may be coincidence, and may simply be a mechanic to jump-start the further development of forests.

Ah, sounds good. I hope this idea is at least glanced at by the devs before they make changes, but I'm excited to see what forests will be like either way :D

Dunk seems to have a very nice picture in mind, including tall canopies and leaf litter.

Note: Dunk's imagination routinely escapes the bounds of the Minecraft engine.

Note: Dunk's imagination routinely escapes the bounds of the Minecraft engine.

as do quite a bunch of all our suggestions!

Don't you guys believe in me? :(

Don't you guys believe in me? :(

Obviously we do. It's just that... well, sometimes it looks like you are dreaming of perfect actual spheres in MC : so to say. Someone (that includes you ;) ) may be able to add them, but they sure sound like decades of work.

What would be cool is if you left a tree alive long enough, saplings would just fall from the leaves and automatically plant or something. Kind of like how they do in the wild, but also now with trees you've planted.

Of course, I know next to nothing about this stuff, so I could be dead wrong.

What would be cool is if you left a tree alive long enough, saplings would just fall from the leaves and automatically plant or something. Kind of like how they do in the wild, but also now with trees you've planted.

Of course, I know next to nothing about this stuff, so I could be dead wrong.

theres a mod that does that... forget what it's called though

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0