Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mayaknife

Does kimberlite not drop ore?

8 posts in this topic

I found some kimberlite for the first time. The wiki shows it as dropping a mineral block, with a chance of diamond, but I've mined about ten blocks of the stuff now and gotten nothing at all: no minerals, no diamonds. Is it a bug?

Kimberlite doesent drop ore, even if the wiki says so. You can mine it and have a pretty high chance of finding a diamond, but no ore or anything similar will drop for each block. Mine on and swim in diamonds.

Right now I'd rather find some garnierite. I'm four ingots of nickel short of being able to create a blue steel forge. :-(

Ugh hunting for garnierite sucks. The two times I've found it are tiny deposits where a bunch of single blocks are dispersed over a large area. Makes finding it with the propick impossible (you just read traces everywhere), so you have to strip mine once you find the general area, and even then you'll only get enough in a deposit for a handful of ingots. The first one had most of the ore right above or in the lava, so I had to place blocks all around each piece before I could mine it.

The amount of time and effort it took wasn't worth the payout. Too much of a grind. I did manage to make a red steel bucket, though, which was cool. Except my only use for it was to try making a sluice battery right above some nickel to try and get more. But that didn't work, I never got any. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I doubt I'll ever bother trying for nickel again. I'm perfectly happy with steel.

Nickel definitely requires a community effort. It's just too much work for solo.

Right now I'd rather find some garnierite. I'm four ingots of nickel short of being able to create a blue steel forge. :-(

Five to make your first blue steel tool

kimberlite has 1/35 chance of dropping a diamond, with the higher level diamonds being rarer.

Five to make your first blue steel tool

If you're talking about the total amount of nickel to get to a blue steel tool, it's more than that. You need 14 black steel to create a black steel anvil. You need 4 more black steel to create 16 weak blue steel alloys (14 for the anvil, 2 for tools). Then you need another 15 black steel to weld with the weak blue steel to make 14 blue steel for the anvil and 1 for a tool. That's a total of 33 black steel. Each nickel gets you 4 black steel so you need a minimum of 9 nickel to get your first blue steel tool.

I'd already found a small garnierite deposit which gave me 5 nickel (5.9 actually :angry: ), so I've got four more to go.

I've resorted to branch mining any suitably deep gabbro deposits that I come across. So far this has turned up such valuable commodities as saltpeter, kimberlite and olivine, but alas no garnierite.

In ,y latest world where I set myself for finding darn garnierite and succeeded I foung medium spead which gave me almos 8 ingots. There are some traces over a large area I hate to try and stripmine. However, not counting Cinnabar there were Hematite and Gold near that Garnierite so it was somewhat successful find. Only time I stumbled upon Kimberlite it was some where in deep mess of tetrahedrite, olivine and something else, spawned in depressing basalt of all things. Thus I never got to touch it up close - too much effort for just an academic interest.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0