Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
renadi

Stone Ladders?

23 posts in this topic

So I was running through the changelogs today and I saw this entry that I don't remember reading

Beta v2 Build 49 Codename: Kaaaaaaaaaaahn!

Ladders can now be made from chiseled stone. The only rules are that the depth(as you’re facing the wall) be at least 5 layers approximately(This is a minecraft thing) and the height of the chiseled block be be no more 2 layers thick. chiseled stone that meets these rules will be automatically considered a ladder by the game.

and I was wondering, I've never seen this, have people done this, does it work?

So I was running through the changelogs today and I saw this entry that I don't remember reading

Beta v2 Build 49 Codename: Kaaaaaaaaaaahn!

and I was wondering, I've never seen this, have people done this, does it work?

I tried this some seconds ago and it didn't work. How do you make them?

I have smart moving...

It did work perfectly for me, until i installed SM :P from what i know, you just have to:

-Place stone against the wall you wanna climb.

-Use the slab function 9 times on the block, towards the wall.

-Use it from the 4 times from the botton and 4 from the top.

-Place another stone block on top of that, and repeat.

bah, I'll have to try this out when I get home, it seems it would be much more practical than the ladders I usually stack up when mining!

bah, I'll have to try this out when I get home, it seems it would be much more practical than the ladders I usually stack up when mining!

Even if it works why would it be more practical then ladders? Ladder take less then a second to place, and chiseling takes a lot more. Not worth it.

Not worth it.

One word: aesthetics. Stone ladders looks a LOT better than vanilla wooden ladders. And also, they don't do that fucking wierd noise vanilla stairs do now :

-Use the slab function 9 times on the block, towards the wall.

-Use it from the 4 times from the botton and 4 from the top.

These are also ladders.

Posted Image

One word: aesthetics. Stone ladders looks a LOT better than vanilla wooden ladders. And also, they don't do that fucking wierd noise vanilla stairs do now :

Well if you are doing it for aesthetics that's fine, getting out/into a cave is just a waste of time.

Even if it works why would it be more practical then ladders? Ladder take less then a second to place, and chiseling takes a lot more. Not worth it.

Inventory space I would wager. You can make quick shafts down with this method and make the ladder as you go on, this means you do not have to waste space in your inventory with ladders and you can save your sticks for fire pits/torches or handles for tool heads you carry on you. Plus I always carry a hammer and chisel when I go mining, might as well use it and even a wrought iron chisel lasts a very long time.

Also, as someone mentioned, it is also an aesthetic choice, if I'm digging out a very dwarfy looking keep, I'm not going to be using wood outside of support beams. You can also incorporate this into stone work on houses (the requirements for being considered a climbable surface are not too strict actually) and with a bit of work you can have hidden hand/foot holds all over structures.

Speaking of climbable surfaces, anyone know if the feature of walking up one block tall surfaces will be attempted again? I know there were enough issues the first time it was attempted that it warranted pulling the feature, but I didn't know if any new news on that had been revealed.

These are also ladders.

Posted Image

Yes, i know that can be used too, but honestly that looks a bit... wierd : i personally prefer flatter ladders that don't outcrop that much from the wall.

I use them in mines a lot because they cost no resources they are extremely convenient really.

I use them to decor, because in mines I don't use ladders at all. Mostly because I dig too many tunnels and I don't have time to make a beautiful mine. Damn, now I remember that I still have smart moving :/

I use them to decor, because in mines I don't use ladders at all. Mostly because I dig too many tunnels and I don't have time to make a beautiful mine. Damn, now I remember that I still have smart moving :/

You can disable it by pressing... some key, don't remember which. It SHOULD work if you simply disable it in game everytime you have to climb a stone ladder :

You can disable it by pressing... some key, don't remember which. It SHOULD work if you simply disable it in game everytime you have to climb a stone ladder :

Do you understand why I worship you now?

Do you understand why I worship you now?

Yeah... Not that i care, anyways. Now, go sacrifice me some threads, please :3

Yeah... Not that i care, anyways. Now, go sacrifice me some threads, please :3

NOOOOOO! I only worship you. This doesn't mean that I follow your orders.

NOOOOOO! I only worship you. This doesn't mean that I follow your orders.

You sure about that? look behind you, how many threads you already derailed for me... I'm just making it official now.

*evil laugh of evilness*

You sure about that? look behind you, how many threads you already derailed for me... I'm just making it official now.

*evil laugh of evilness*

I derail the threads for the lord of wolves.

These are also ladders.

Posted Image

That works in TFC? Or using SM?

That works in TFC? Or using SM?

They don't work with SM, but you can turn it off or remove it from the mods folder to use the ladders.

They don't work with SM, but you can turn it off or remove it from the mods folder to use the ladders.

I mean do these actually work as ladders in TFC? I thought they had to be 1 block deep, 2 blocks high, not just 2 blocks high as these are in the picture.

I mean do these actually work as ladders in TFC? I thought they had to be 1 block deep, 2 blocks high, not just 2 blocks high as these are in the picture.

I think that these work, but they must be less than 5 protruding.

They are 2 high and about 7 deep. Anything bigger than that won't work, I believe, but those are legitimate TFC ladders. I'm not using smart moving atm, it's easier to fiddle with TFC this way as I actually haven't much time to play now.