Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Just_Another_Guy_:)

Help with redstone?

9 posts in this topic

This thread isn't strictly related to TFC, even though it could be used in a map for the mod; that's why i posted in the off topic section. It's more related to what the title says: trying to get some help with redstone. It could be called a challenge; so if you aren't interested, you are just a click away from leaving, but if you are interested, please keep reading.

I usually get new ideas for redstone devices. I don't know why, the idea just pops up in my head, and whatever it is i feel forced to try and make it real. That's one of the main reasons i never completely abandoned vanilla; It fits there better than it does in the worlds of TFC. Back to the story, most of the times i accomplish it, save the world and then forget it until either i come up with a better version, or i find some application in some of my vanilla worlds. However, a couple of times i had some great idea that i was completely unable to do myself.

So yeah, what i'm going to do in this thread is, basically, post the ideas i couldn't do. I know there are some good redstoners here, so if you guys feel like trying it yourself, please do so. I'd love to see this ideas becoming real :D

Okay, 'nough introduction, now let's post the first challenge:

Shapeshifting laberinth

Description: This image will describe how it is much better than i can.

Posted Image

It consists in an array of any number (i made only 9 for the example) of exactly equal rooms (the diferent colours are for later use in examples...), one block apart from the adjacent ones, connected to any adjacent room by a 2x1 hallway. The rooms are 3x3x3 inside.

The hallways start either open (all of them in this case) or closed. The blocks i placed in the sides of border blocks would, form the inside, look exactly the same as a closed hallway.

The particularity this laberinth has is that, everytime any entity enters one of the rooms, some of it's hallways change it state and some don't. Something like this:

(Before the player enters)

North: open

East: open

South: closed

West: closed

(After the player enters)

North: closed

East: open

South: open

West: closed

What happens is that, whenever the entity is detected in the room, the hallways cycle. In the previous example:

(When the player enters for a second time)

North: closed

East: closed

South: open

West: open

Whatever detecs the entity entering the room, musn't be direction sensitive: in other words, if the player was to enter the room for a third time, the hallways will change in the same way no matter if he entered from the South or the West.

A hallway's state must be able to be changed from both of the rooms that it connects. In the previous example, let's the room the player was in was the red one; and let's say the player leaves the room through the Southern hallway and enters another room, the green one.

(Green room before the player enters)

North (or South for the red room): Open

East: Closed

South: Open

West: Closed

(When the player enters)

North: Closed

East: Open

South: Closed

West: Open

(Red room, then, now has this pattern)

North: Closed

East: Closed

South: Closed

West: Open

One last condition... It must not be fixed for a size of laberinth. I mean, your solution should be useable for any size and shape given to the laberinth, as long as the room's dimensions keep the same.

For the record, i did accomplished something similar to this... However, the hallways just closed or opened at fixed times, it was done with redpower 2, and even in the minimun of the minimun graphic settings it lagged me A LOT, so yeah... not gonna count that :

I know this challenge is near impossible, but hey, never said it would be easy. If you still think it's too easy... well, try to make it as lagless as possible :D

Good luck if you even try to make it!

Challenge Nº2

FULLY automatic cannon

This one is a bit easier than the last one... a bit. I imagine you already know what a cannon in minecraft is and what can it do: fire the player, arrows, potions, TNT or mobs away from the cannon quite a long distance (at least for the most strong cannons) by powering a big number of TNT blocks at the exact same time so their explosions raise each other's strenght. WHATEVER, you guys by now should know that i'm really lazy. So what i tried to do (and i failed at)? A fully automatic cannon.

Description: So basically, the idea is that this is a cannon for the lazy guy unwilling to make 5 different cannons for the different applications it can have. It's a cannon able to fire ANY of this amm without any modification, changing what's firing just by pressing a button.

Now that's pretty easy, right? well, not really... It must also be fully aimable, and you don't have to have the need to place the TNT yourself for changing the aim. So, say, by pressing a button, the cannon will push TNT in place in a way that ammo will tend to go to the right, while pressing another button will do the same thing but to the left, and other almost directly to the sky, and other just in front of the cannon.

It must recharge ammo by itself; however, the charge TNT (the TNT that's activated at the same time for the push) should only recharge when and in the form the user decides it to; in other words, the user must press one of the aiming buttons for the cannon to fire. For this purposes, along with the aiming buttons there must be a button that allows for a normal complete charge.

If you feel this is still pretty easy, try and make it the smallest size possible WHILE making it able to fire anything 16 times in a row before forcing the player to place more TNT anywhere.

My own tries to make this have finished in giant craters... and i mean GIANT. I should make a screenshot of one of them... Whatever, if you try by yourslef, good luck :3

Warning: i couldn't find myself what i challenge you guys to do anywhere, however, it's possible that i missed something. If i did, please, show me.

Chickens on pressure plates.

I knew someone would post a simple thing like that...Anyway, guys, please son't post something that doesn't help the OP. I really don't want to see this thread derailed.

Unless it is dead, then I will be the one helping derail this. :P

I knew someone would post a simple thing like that...Anyway, guys, please son't post something that doesn't help the OP. I really don't want to see this thread derailed.

Unless it is dead, then I will be the one helping derail this. :P

Hopefully this thread does not get derailed in a similar way to the suggestion thread 'Suggestion: Barrels!' It was derailed in less than a day. If it is dead, I will also assist in derailing this thread. I am a mediocore at redstone, and I prefer to weaponizing redstone rather than construct complex builds unless I have Redpower 2 installed, as the modification compresses logic gates into items, and adds new ones.

P.S. - I think I am beginnin' to derail this thread already.

P.S.S - My post also gave me an idea to make a thread on the Off-Topic Forums.

*temptation*

Grick... erkk... arak.... argh....

Stop it... must... write... thesis....

Grick... erkk... arak.... argh....

Stop it... must... write... thesis....

It's okay, the challenge won't go anywhere :3 work is first. Just save the link to this post somewhere so you can try it later.

I think a cow on a pressure plate might work better, personally.

Just bumping to say i have added a 2º challenge. It came to me about 5 minutes after posting this thread, and i gave it quite a few tries... The most succesful one so far being a gigantic crater down to the bedrock. So yeah, try it if you want guys! :3

Sorry for double posting : no one interested, no advances, nothing?