Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
killster550

Oceans

Oceans   38 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think about the current ocean sizes in TFC

• I like them as they are
    • I would like them if they had better boats
    • They need to be smaller
    • They need to be bigger
    • i'll wait and see what new content gets added first
    • No opinion because i dont know why

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 posts in this topic

so, lets get ourselves a poll going about the Oceans topic thats been arising lately :D

NO DERAILS OR I WILL EAT YOUR LIMBS!

i swear next time im gonna put my option at the top, see how many people just lazily click top slot ;)

also, try and post why your choice is what it is

edit: added content option

so, lets get ourselves a poll going about the Oceans topic thats been arising lately :D

NO DERAILS OR I WILL EAT YOUR LIMBS!

i swear next time im gonna put my option at the top, see how many people just lazily click top slot ;)

You got such a huge signature that is hard to focus on the post...

Just place your mouse over the signature, an "x" should appear in one of it's corners. Click it, and select "Ignore killster500 siganature". And magically, the signature DISSAPEARS!

/geek magic trick

Ignoooore allllllll signatures!!!

ive been looking, but i guess it doesnt work on mine :P anyway, guys, post up WHY did you vote this way?

you ninja-derailed me :D guess its time to EAT YOUR LIMBS!

And you double posted... so you know your fate

'cause it's my f+cking opinion, and if i don't feel like explaining it, i don't have to? :

Don't know, i just... love the seas. It's so calm, navigating... and with MEnoch's trcks, it feels adventurous as well. If i could build a REAL pirate boat and use it, i could play TFC as a red steel pirate :D governating the seas... AWESOME.

Now, the thing is, i usually get crashes in multiplayer and then i just die form drowning... :

'cause it's my f+cking opinion, and if i don't feel like explaining it, i don't have to? :

Don't know, i just... love the seas. It's so calm, navigating... and with MEnoch's trcks, it feels adventurous as well. If i could build a REAL pirate boat and use it, i could play TFC as a red steel pirate :D governating the seas... AWESOME.

Now, the thing is, i usually get crashes in multiplayer and then i just die form drowning... :

And I am going to be a Royal Navy Man O' War and ruin your day, quite frankly Mister Just_Another_Guy_ :)

P.S. - I swear am I the only person to write your full name?

P.S.S - Shoot, my limbs are soon to be subjected to an agonizing devourment by Killster550!

I voted to wait to see what is implemented. Bioxx mentioned he has and is working on the wgen for this mod, and knowing Bioxx, his implementation will no doubt be awesome. I am anxious to see what lies in store with both waterfalls, lakes, ponds, swamps, and also oceans.

Yep. Not even i write my full name : i honestly prefer JAG... but i don't want to forget what it stands for, so i left the name there.

Yep. Not even i write my full name : i honestly prefer JAG... but i don't want to forget what it stands for, so i left the name there.

Well, if you somehow were to forget the full words of the acrynom 'JAG', you either search for your posts, or find my posts quoting you, that is... if you cannot log in..

Well, if you somehow were to forget the full words of the acrynom 'JAG', you either search for your posts, or find my posts quoting you, that is... if you cannot log in..

I don't log in with this username, 'cause of some forum thingy that forces me to use the original username i had, so yeah... don't think it's gonna help. lol.

I don't log in with this username, 'cause of some forum thingy that forces me to use the original username i had, so yeah... don't think it's gonna help. lol.

Uh oh, I realized that we both derailed this thread. Now Mister Killster550 is going to devour our limbs with his cleaver and fork!

Posted Image

Ignoooore allllllll signatures!!!

I think I have all but Dunk's ignored.

I think I have all but Dunk's ignored.

Come on, Bio, gotta ignore them all!

Ok, I lied. I just found some one-liner signatures I haven't ignored because they weren't annoying.

And you mean gotta not gotcha. Gotta short for "got to", gotcha short for "got you".

Who said THAT was the mistake?

gotcha traped and them all!

fix'd :]

(Yeah, i don't know what i was thinking... : derp)

shall we get back to the topic? or completely remove the rails? either option sounds good to me

There were some rails in the first place?

Since people want to get back ontopic I'll give some info I've learned throughout my basins course.

Oceans are formed through the development of a mature rift (rift being the crustal thinning by normal faults)

Posted Image

When the asthenosphere rises, it makes the crustal heat gradient bigger, with this the crust is easier to deform so if this process continues then the plate gets a big crack.

Posted Image

And with the rise of the asthenosphere and the normal tensions the sides are pull apart, separating both sides and giving space to the rock from the asthenosphere to take its place, cool and be a part of the crust (the ocean is the youngest part of the crust).

So this is basically how oceans are made.

Really?

Posted Image

Yup, the ocean is pretty much stitched up like a ragdoll

So, when continents are far apart they become passive margins, they are really stable, no tectonism on them, dull...

But, because they are moving from the ridge push, eventually they can hit another continental plate, like what happened to India, the Himalayas arose from that collision

Posted Image

Btw, they were fast! insanely fast for a plate, like 5cm a year, fast!

But if there is no continental crust on the plate that is moving? Well, every oceanic plate has a due date, about 150million years, that is when they get old, they cooldown, start getting some weight and then they crack open and go under itself.

Posted Image

And form island arcs.

Posted Image

This is Sumatra, you can see where the oceanic plate hit the other one. Japan is like this also, but there are 3 plates colliding against each other.

Posted Image

And look where the 3 plates converge... you know that place, right? Tokyo, a great place to live...

The major force that moves continents and plates is the slab pull and ridge push, it was thought that only convection affected the movement of plates, but it does not even begin to explain measurable velocities like these.

So, when there is pull apart there is passive margin, when they encounter each other it can be a forearc basin (oceani x oceanic) or a foreland basin (oceanic x continental or continental x continental)...

I think I got all the oceans covered with this.

I like that tfc has grand oceans, now all they need is something inside of them, like fish, whales, plants, and such.

Maybe have glowstone form near the bottom of oceans with plant-life/corals forming near them?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0