Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
LtChae

Food Prep Suggestion

22 posts in this topic

Now that I've confirmed that it is not bugged, food prep needs some work.

At the moment, recipes are randomly generated by the seed. Which means that what you can combine into a meal is entirely arbitrary. As a chef myself, I can say that this system is very confusing. There is no reason that I shouldn't be able to combine any set of ingredients together into a meal. Right now, however, I can put a logical set of food into the food prep gui, (let's say a steak, an onion, a carrot, and a loaf of bread) and sometimes (who knows?) not be able to make a meal.

I agree that some randomness makes the whole process more interesting, but not to the point of illogical restrictions like this. I would suggest randomizing the potion-like effects of food, rather than the recipes.

That said, I have a few other suggestions for items to use in food prep:

Salt (mined or evaporated) (could also be used for curing meat and pickling veggies)

Butter

Milk

Lard

Oil (Olive or veggie)

Mushrooms (Seriously, why are these not already used?)

Sugar

Pumpkins

Melon (Are these still in the game?)

Edit:

Maybe also a system where meals are better for having multiple categories of foods? Like a balanced meal of Eggs (meat), bread(grain), onion(veggie), and salt(additive) would be better for you than eggs, steak, and pork.

The sugar not working as an ingredient thing really bothers me, I get few enough mushrooms, so I'd assumed that when I found them they'd work as well, hopefully Bioxx adds that before I find any! lol

Maybe you could even make meals better by adding some graded gold. It actually is edible believe it or not and is used in exquisite (and very expensive) meals.

Some form of compost would also be nice.

And we definitely need some form of random effects as the OP said. But maybe meals could simply be any combination of edible food. But if there's too much of one food group (Ex: Dairy) you throw up. Then you throw up and lose a bunch of hunger like what happened to me at TGI Fridays.

Oh and maybe later, you have to drink to regain thirst and if you drink from still water, you have a chance of becoming sick and losing water. And also if you drink Salt Water (water from an ocean biome) you would lose water instead of gaining it but if you place the salt water on the ground in light, after a while it turns into salt. You know, evaporation.

Then eating foods would take away water in turn due to the body's requirement of hydrogen to carry out the electron transport chain.

Some form of compost would also be nice.

Why do you want that in our meals!

Why do you want that in our meals!

Not sure if he meant he wanted compost in our meals, but more like, getting it from our meals... :X

I vote old Nutrition idea but I doubt it will happen, the one where we add food groups and make people sick from not eating enough of a certain nutrient (but no throwing up please, that's just wrong). Then the spices at random determine effects, This would require more spices most likely.

Edit:Sorry 1Sdan but compost is neither a foodgroup or a spice except apparently at TGI Fridays

Maybe you could even make meals better by adding some graded gold. It actually is edible believe it or not and is used in exquisite (and very expensive) meals.

But what does the gold actually add to the food irl aside from a few hundred dollars?

Mmmm... a Golden Composte burger with.... mushrooms!

Now.... when you say mushrooms, do you mean normal? Or magical? Lol.

I like the idea of having Angus burger recipes and omlets and stuff... and then the effects, as has been already posted, being randomly paired up to a particular recipe varying per seed.

I personally would like to have a "Stew" system in addition to the cooking system. While the cooking system involves experimentation and discovery, I think the stew system should be a lot more simple, and will average out all of the properties of what you add. If you put in a bunch of low-filling foods, the stew will end up being a low-filling stew, and vice versa for high-filling stews. To make a stew, you would just make a cauldron and then keep it over a campfire. You would toss in ingredients, and each time you toss one in it has a chance of "registering", and once it does a smoke-cloud or some other indicator would appear that shows the player that it registered. Once you have one food-type in it, you can finish the stew there, or you can add more foods to make it better and have a bit of everything. In any case, you can simply right click it with a bowl and you will have the stew, with all the averaged attributes that it would have, depending on what you made it with. It can fill, say, 5-6 bowls, making it a good decent meal.

This is simply an alternative to the cooking already in the game - a cheap way to refine your foods into something a bit better. The only advantage the stew system has to the cooking system is that it's simpler and you know what you will get when you throw in foods. It would be used for stone-age players, when they want to have a more refined food source but they don't have enough foods to play around with to make meals. Later as you play in your world, the stew system would be naturally abandoned as you discover the best combinations your seed has to offer.

I have a feeling this has nothing to do with the thread, but I wanted to dump this somewhere.

But what does the gold actually add to the food irl aside from a few hundred dollars?

I can safely say "nothing". There's not that many acids capable of dissolving gold, hydrochloric not being one of them.

Dude! By compost I meant make it from food scraps like apple cores that are dropped after eating food or just taking wood and putting it in with some worms (items dropped by dirt) and placing in a sunny spot. Soon, it will turn into compost that can be used to fertilize your foods. Or you cold just grab some cow dung. Either way, it would speed up plant growth. In NO WAY did I mean to use it as food.

Gold is edible. Look it up.

p.s. I feel like you guys just trolled me.

Dude! By compost I meant make it from food scraps like apple cores that are dropped after eating food or just taking wood and putting it in with some worms (items dropped by dirt) and placing in a sunny spot. Soon, it will turn into compost that can be used to fertilize your foods. Or you cold just grab some cow dung. Either way, it would speed up plant growth. In NO WAY did I mean to use it as food.

Ah, this one. Well, it's fertilizing, and it won't speed anything up, directly - it will increase nutrient level. But since lack of nutrients slows growth down in TFC, it will, I guess.

Gold is edible. Look it up.

No, it's not. Unless you mean, gold one of heavy metals that won't poison on comsumption.

Proof.

Generally, gold is non-toxic if consumed, and is used as food decoration in the form of gold leaf. However, consumption and thereby accumulation in body of large amount of gold (or gold compounds) is still toxic and the symptoms are similar to those of heavy metal poisoning.

Gold is an inert metal that simply passes through the intestinal system. Edible Gold will pass out of the body after about 24 hours unchanged without causing any harm or reaction on the body.

In some cultures gold (and silver) leaf is considered non-toxic when labeled as food-grade and so can be used to decorate food or drink, conveying a perception of luxury and high value.

As I said - it won't poison on consumption and does nothing except for increasing cost of food. So much for proofs.

By make them better, I mean it makes the character feel more important, thus making it work harder and in turn mine/break faster. A small buff, but still a buff that would add a little more uses to the fabled gold.

By make them better, I mean it makes the character feel more important, thus making it work harder and in turn mine/break faster. A small buff, but still a buff that would add a little more uses to the fabled gold.

Wait wait wait wait. In the moment you said "the character", the inmersion was thrown through the window. There is no character, you are running around there, not controlling some guy and making him run. And i seriously doubt you will mine any faster by feeling important .-. at the most, you will feel like you did it faster, without any kind of change.

I'm not suggesting making the player feel important and thus changing the game based on what the player feels; i'm saying that buff you suggest makes no sense -__-

Goldschlagger. (Sp?) That alwaysvmakes the "character" feel better!

Perhaps we could have bonuses also based on the meal container.

Bowl = no bonus

Bread (sliced?) = sandwich. Cannot be heated, but retains a 50% bonus at all times. Good for travelling

Pie crust (flour, butter) = pie. 100% bonus, can be further increased by heating

And, sorry, but gold as a cooking ingredient is pointless. Even in real life. No, Especially in real life.

*snip*

No it does not because it simply is an effect corresponding to what may happen when one does that. I was putting in reasoning for a feature that really won't be explained in-game. Thus immersion is still kept. So your argument is now void.

No it does not because it simply is an effect corresponding to what may happen when one does that. I was putting in reasoning for a feature that really won't be explained in-game. Thus immersion is still kept. So your argument is now void.

Well, if you wante it not to be explained, you could... you know... not explain it in a public forum where everyone can see? >__>

Salt - Like.

Butter - Butter Churning? If so then I like it.

Milk - Like.

Lard - Nonononononono.

Oil (Olive) - Like.

Mushrooms - Like.

Sugar - Like.

Pumpkins - Like.

Melon - Like.

I like a majority of these ideas but I have a suggestion for your suggestion. Certain things cant go into one recipe together without making the Nausea effect, certain things in the same recipe would ALWAYS cause the Nausea effect due to Core things like "IM GUNNA MAKE A SUGAR, MILK, OLIVE OIL AND BUTTER SALAD!", Immediately my stomach wretches thinking about that.

I never questioned whether gold was edible, I asked what, presicely, the gold contributed to the meal outside of a hefty bill.

It looks as if the answer is 'abolutely nothing'.

No reason to bother adding that to the mod then.

I like a majority of these ideas but I have a suggestion for your suggestion. Certain things cant go into one recipe together without making the Nausea effect, certain things in the same recipe would ALWAYS cause the Nausea effect due to Core things like "IM GUNNA MAKE A SUGAR, MILK, OLIVE OIL AND BUTTER SALAD!", Immediately my stomach wretches thinking about that.

That might actually make for a decent salad dressing in the right proportions.