Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yubyub96

TFC and some graphical things

23 posts in this topic

Since i started playing TFC (back on February) i got incredibly hooked by the mod, and the only thing i didnt liked about the mod were two things: its terrain generation(basically an infinite forest with infinite amounts of pools(it better now), and its leaves... yeah i said leaves, have you ever noticed how in TFC the leaves seem to merge together when you are far from them ,and instead of having shadows like vanilla leaves do, they dont have any and makes them look ugly as hell.

here i have a better explanation:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I stopped playing TFC in between June and September because i had tons of trouble installing it,and when i came back to it i was glad they changed almost every single thing i didnt liked about TFC.... except of course the leaves.

This made me belive that perhaps is something much more complex than just a few lines of code, im no programmer, so i want to ask you guys three things:

1-Do you have the same trouble i do with the leaves?

2-Do you know what causes this effect in leaves?

3-Would it be easy to fix this issue?

PS: i know dunk has plans on improving leaves but it seems like he could at least improve leaves while he makes the planned improvements to the leaves,if its not too hard to code.

Edit: Thanks to everyone who gave me a comment.

I think i didnt explained myself that well, some said it was the Texture pack im using, which is not the cause, you can see that in the following screeshots(this time wiht default):

Posted Image

If you are really close they look good.

Posted Image

But when you are further away the only thing that can make you recognize the depth are the weird patterns on the leaves.

Posted Image

Fancy textures help just a bit, but still the depth is not very visible

Vlad mentioned that in real forest you cant recognize which leaves belong to which tree, thats true but you can recongnize its depth and shadows, you can say:hmm .... those leaves are further away and those leaves are nearer. But with TFC leaves theres something that makes them look like a big mass of unrecognizable depth.

EDIT: Thanks for alll the people who keeps commenting.

I have seen a very interesting point of what may be the reason, and the problem.

transcengopher mentioned it may be because the lighting on all faces of the leaves is 15, which in vanilla minecraft isnt, that may be because of how minecraft lighting treats transparent blocks (such as leaves)

here you can see my point and the point of transcengopher

Posted Image

you can clearly see that the lighting on all the faces of the leaves is the same(15 i think) thus it makes the leaves look like if they were a plain wall of leaves when you go far from them, because theres no shadows in them, but in vanilla minecraft there are shadows on the leaves.

Posted Imageim lazy and i reused an image i had already uploaded, but lets focus on the trees, you can see that the faces of the leaves are not with all the same brightness levels, there are shadows in those leaves, thus making them look way better when you go far from them.

It's just me or did I already saw this thread? Then the one that I saw was locked...

It's not TFC's problem, it's dependant on your texture pack. I have this kind of problem with most of the hi-res texture packs as well. Maybe you shoud try another one, or go back to unmodded textures, it uses vanilla leafs texture.

Yeah, you're using textures. This isn't our fault. (Although I think a little graphical updating couldn't hurt lol)

I don't get it :/

Looks fine to me.

If you look at a real forests, can you tell which leaf belongs to what tree?

I don't get it :/

Looks fine to me.

If you look at a real forests, can you tell which leaf belongs to what tree?

I think his problem is that you can't really tell that they're leaves at all. Some of them just look like wavy blocks.

I think his problem is that you can't really tell that they're leaves at all. Some of them just look like wavy blocks.

I personally don't have that problem... : i automatically see them as leaves. Something 'bout the shape reminds me of a MC tree...

Thanks for your comments.

Dunk i have a doubt about TFC code, what did you do to the lighting engine? did you changed it? because i think it looks very different.

I added another part to the OP that explains my point better, and with default textures.

Ohhh, now i get what you meant... But i honestly don't get why it bothers you... I guess i'm already used to it and so, i don't even notice it.

Thanks for your comments.

Dunk i have a doubt about TFC code, what did you do to the lighting engine? did you changed it? because i think it looks very different.

I added another part to the OP that explains my point better, and with default textures.

no... we didn't touch lighting at all

no... we didn't touch lighting at all

Then could it be because leaves are a "transparent block"? im not sure if thats the name of the kind of block that leaves are.

Would it be a lot of trouble to fix this issue?i hope this doesn't sound like a demand, is just a doubt i have,why if TFC has been in dev for so long (feb since i came here),why haven't you been able to fix this issue?

I value the work you've put in TFC and i love this mod, its the best mod ever, but its just that one thing that makes me go back to vanilla, the looks of vanilla are better that the one of TFC.

Ohhh, now i get what you meant... But i honestly don't get why it bothers you... I guess i'm already used to it and so, i don't even notice it.

Well perhaps it may not bother you, so with more people, but im a builder and i usually build in vanilla(just because creative in TFC is hell) but when i see the trees they look gorgeous, but in TFC i cannot even differentiate the trees depth.

I think what the consensus is here is that it isn't an 'issue'. I can't say I've ever noticed a difference either. The only difference to leaves I've ever noticed is by using OptiFine or not, or texture packs. Do you have forced mipmapping on your video card? Maybe it is mushing the textures together too much for your taste.

I think what the consensus is here is that it isn't an 'issue'. I can't say I've ever noticed a difference either. The only difference to leaves I've ever noticed is by using OptiFine or not, or texture packs. Do you have forced mipmapping on your video card? Maybe it is mushing the textures together too much for your taste.

no, i dont, and no its not the textures, i have made some screenshots with default and the problem is still there.

The thing is, I don't think most of us even recognize that a 'problem' even exists. Personally, i find nothinw wrong in either of your screenshots. It either translates poorly from 3d to 2d, or you just have particular tastes that the rest of us don't share. I'm not saying you're wrong and there is no problem, we just aren't able to percieve the problem.

Have you ever been checked for colour blindness or partial colour blindness (1 or 2 of the 3 colour bands gone)? The thought just occurred to me while trying to consider ways in which one individual may have trouble distinguishing features where the majority do not.

The same can go in reverse too, where a colour blind individual may be able to better perceive intensity differences that escape someone with colour-vision, which is certainly a good suggestion of why the genes for it persist. In this case though, given the nature of the subject, it would appear more that you're problem is characteristic of a colour-blind individual.

Now I see what the problem is. The main problem lies in fact that blocks have the same brightness of 15 on the sides. Well, I don't know if devs can help. After all, it could be because of interactions between minecraft lighting engine and transparent blocks.

Posted Image

But when you are further away the only thing that can make you recognize the depth are the weird patterns on the leaves.

Posted Image

Yeah, now I see what you mean.

All I can suggest, is that the antialiasing in MC is horrible, so from far every thing looks bad, and since the leafs are small to start with, from far they aren't leafs at all, just random pixels.

You can notice the same with any other block, bricks or wood for example, from far you still can see what it is, but only a little.

EDIT:

I found a solution!! (for some people, for some problems)

So like I've said MC antialiasing is horrible (not sure it's even exist), so I've found this tutorial how to enable antialiasing in MC

http://www.minecraft...r-nvidia-users/

Now my MC looks WAY WAY BETTER!! :D

Try it :)

Bricks before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

EDIT2:

I also tried Optifine now. It's really great.

Have many graphics options too.

If you have chunk flickering when using optifine, try disabling "threaded optimization" in your video card settings.

Yeah, now I see what you mean.

All I can suggest, is that the antialiasing in MC is horrible, so from far every thing looks bad, and since the leafs are small to start with, from far they aren't leafs at all, just random pixels.

You can notice the same with any other block, bricks or wood for example, from far you still can see what it is, but only a little.

EDIT:

I found a solution!! (for some people, for some problems)

So like I've said MC antialiasing is horrible (not sure it's even exist), so I've found this tutorial how to enable antialiasing in MC

http://www.minecraft...r-nvidia-users/

Now my MC looks WAY WAY BETTER!! :D

Try it :)

Bricks before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

EDIT2:

I also tried Optifine now. It's really great.

Have many graphics options too.

If you have chunk flickering when using optifine, try disabling "threaded optimization" in your video card settings.

Thanks for that, im gonna try using anti-aliasing and then i will tell you if it worked, i use and AMD card so i will have to search for another tutorial.

edit: just tried it and here are the results:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The problem is still there, because its a lighting thing but still they look much better with AA, thanks for the tip

Have you ever been checked for colour blindness or partial colour blindness (1 or 2 of the 3 colour bands gone)? The thought just occurred to me while trying to consider ways in which one individual may have trouble distinguishing features where the majority do not.

The same can go in reverse too, where a colour blind individual may be able to better perceive intensity differences that escape someone with colour-vision, which is certainly a good suggestion of why the genes for it persist. In this case though, given the nature of the subject, it would appear more that you're problem is characteristic of a colour-blind individual.

I have never been checked for colour blindness, i dont think im colour blind but it might be that. not sure.

Now I see what the problem is. The main problem lies in fact that blocks have the same brightness of 15 on the sides. Well, I don't know if devs can help. After all, it could be because of interactions between minecraft lighting engine and transparent blocks.

I think this may be the thing that bothers me, leaves blocks look with the same brightness on all their sides which makes you unable to see the depth of leaves(which leave is further and which closer).I tought that it may be because its a transparent block.im gonna put this in the OP for a better explanation.

On the last shot I am able to kind of see the depth though. Doesn't help with telling trees apart still, but helps with seeing tree's leaves configuration.

On the last shot I am able to kind of see the depth though. Doesn't help with telling trees apart still, but helps with seeing tree's leaves configuration.

What do you mean? should i see the leaves config to check that?

I'm not sure. Maybe. But I guess, rather than leaves config, you can look into lighting config still.

I'm not sure. Maybe. But I guess, rather than leaves config, you can look into lighting config still.

Where could i see that? in which folder,jar,etc?

i have no experience in coding, just watched 1 or 2 tutorials on how to mod minecraft with Minecraft Coder Pack

I think I have an idea what's happening. It's because leaf blocks are traversable by mobile entities.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0