Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
candlesayshi

Painting

36 posts in this topic

First of all, I realize that this is a longshot of a suggestion, because it doesn't add too much in functionality (other than just being really cool, especially in SMP), and I can only imagine the difficulty involved in programming it into the game.

Anyway, I was looking at drawings and reading about aurochs, to imagine how they might be in the game, when I came across this:

Posted Image

...and I thought. That would be awesome in the game.

Like, crafting a paintbrush (perhaps from sticks and wool/fur), and mixing paint by combining dye and milk/water/egg/whatever that has a finite amount to use.

Then, you could color the paintbrush with the paint, and hold the RMB on a block to draw lines of paint that follow the cursor along the surface of whatever blocks you're painting across. Perhaps also use water to clean a brush and scrub paint from walls.

Might be cool?

Might be. But almost all of us ain't artists, so what I really expect to be finding is lovely collection of pricks and butts.

Aside from the technical improbability of this (any kind of vector or raster dynamic texture overlay system would undoubtedly require major engine overhauls), I can say that this would be used (in SMP at least) primarily for graffiti. I am not offended by obscenities and the like, but I don't know if I want to see obscenities, racial and sexual slurs, and untold numbers of phalluses littering the settlements. ;P

Seems more like an aesthetic suggestion to me, quite frankly Mister Candlesayshi. I agree with Mister Transcengopher's post, but... well err.... I have no clue what to speak now, :unsure: .

what I really expect to be finding is lovely collection of pricks and butts.

I don't know if I want to see obscenities, racial and sexual slurs, and untold numbers of phalluses littering the settlements. ;P

I think that'd have more to do with the people you're playing with than the ability itself.

Aside from the technical improbability of this (any kind of vector or raster dynamic texture overlay system would undoubtedly require major engine overhauls), I can say that this would be used (in SMP at least) primarily for graffiti. I am not offended by obscenities and the like, but I don't know if I want to see obscenities, racial and sexual slurs, and untold numbers of phalluses littering the settlements. ;P

Actually, when archeologists did an excavation of the ancient roman city of pompeii they found just that!

http://www.pompeiana.org/resources/ancient/graffiti%20from%20pompeii.htm

here's a list of various things the romans wrote on other peoples walls.

so yeah. you know that, "x and y was here" thing? old concept. like... reeeeeeeeaally old concept.

I think that'd have more to do with the people you're playing with than the ability itself.

That's why I said it might be cool.

I am not sure what that has to do with anything. A lot of people play with strangers. So the kind of people you're playing with is frequently unknown.

Actually, when archeologists did an excavation of the ancient roman city of pompeii they found just that!

http://www.pompeiana...m%20pompeii.htm

here's a list of various things the romans wrote on other peoples walls.

so yeah. you know that, "x and y was here" thing? old concept. like... reeeeeeeeaally old concept.

That's true. However, just because you can find pictures of penises on bathroom stalls today doesn't mean I necessarily want a mechanic in a game where people can draw them all over the place. This is neither ancient Rome nor a bathroom stall, and we are not ancient Romans.

Just seems like a lot of work to allow people to grief eachother with crude pictures.

I am not sure what that has to do with anything. A lot of people play with strangers. So the kind of people you're playing with is frequently unknown.

That's true. However, just because you can find pictures of penises on bathroom stalls today doesn't mean I necessarily want a mechanic in a game where people can draw them all over the place. This is neither ancient Rome nor a bathroom stall, and we are not ancient Romans.

Just seems like a lot of work to allow people to grief eachother with crude pictures.

eh, people have been able to build cobblestone cocks since the earliest days of minecraft and yet, as long as you're on a good sophisticated server you're not gonna see any of those.

About the actual topic though. it seems hard as fucking hell to implement.

could it maybe not just be like a different kind of "painting" crafted with stone and markings to create a stone carving that can be placed on walls?

speaking of which. i have actually never seen a mod that adds more paintings. is that because it's a tricky thing/down right impossible or has no one ever felt like doing it?

Let me shamelessly link my/ECC's cartography thread here, 'cause it goes on painting too :P

Maybe it could be done so, when you right click the wall with your brush or whatever you use to paint, it will create a painting/sign like object which you can edit, and in the editor window you can draw whatever you want to be painted in the wall. When done, you close the edit window and there it is your drawing. This block can be placed in walls, can not be picked up, and by right clicking with the same item, you can edit it (even though you won't be able to erase it's contents unless you have some paint of the same colour of the wall).

On the "cocks drawn all over the place!" thing, it could be made so this paintings can be broken by hand in seconds. Not that believable, really, but it solves the problem quite easily... that, and the mod team of whatever server you are in being alert for graffity.

I honestly don't see the possibility os 'naughty images' as being much of an issue. After all, a reasonably flat space and a shovel leave a similar oprtunity to draw such things if one is so inclined.

On the "dicks drawn all over the place", I don;t get what is so wrong about it. That is like saying signs shouldn't have been implemented because they could be used to write obscene messages all over the place.

It has been done, and quite well, in Hippoplatimus's mod. It is now open-source.

http://www.minecraft...ow-open-source/

Since it's opensource, the painting itself could be used quite easily. Let's just remove the infinite paintbrushs, though :P and have something that makes a little more sense... The main feature is ok, but not the tools for it.

It's outdated. Bad thing because I wanted it to mark my paths :D and make roads. Only a dream :(

I wish it didn't completely cover the texture it was painted on

I wish it didn't completely cover the texture it was painted on

Did you want a 2nd layer to draw?

I mean, if you paint on stone bricks I want it to still look like stone bricks, not just a solid sheet of paint.

I mean, if you paint on stone bricks I want it to still look like stone bricks, not just a solid sheet of paint.

Ah then you still want a stone, but that looks like the real...and then you want that in the painted zone the difference of all the original colors remains. Ok, but it's difficult to do. This mod, also made some time ago, then old, is enough for me.

Ah then you still want a stone, but that looks like the real...and then you want that in the painted zone the difference of all the original colors remains. Ok, but it's difficult to do. This mod, also made some time ago, then old, is enough for me.

Whew. Man you Italian folk are hard to understand. Lol.

Yes, that is what I want.

The only way I see this could be done ("easy") would be to use the mechanics of paintings that are already in the game, and just eddit them to look as if they are made of stone.

speaking of which. i have actually never seen a mod that adds more paintings. is that because it's a tricky thing/down right impossible or has no one ever felt like doing it?

More Paintings! and More paintings pls!. And then the one that's already been mentioned that paints on blocks. Just because you have a life, doesn't mean that mods don't exist.

Eight, equals sign, equals sign, equals sign, capital d to what Kimbble said.

More Paintings! and More paintings pls!. And then the one that's already been mentioned that paints on blocks. Just because you have a life, doesn't mean that mods don't exist.

8===D to what Kimbble said.

Why thank you Bio! *sarcasm*

Why thank you Bio! *sarcasm*

Don't worry, kimb, it's a shovel with a weird handle :D