Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dazzaka

How the hell do i find veins?

9 posts in this topic

I just started playing this mod last night, and I'm freakin hooked already. the only thing is I'm wasting durability on my tools trying to find veins. The prospetcing pick said "Found a large sample of Sphalerite" and then the trail got weaker and i cant find it again. How the hell do you find ore it's so confusing.

...Sigh.

Try going into the guides section or checking out any of a dozen tutorials in Youtube.

simply said, find where theres stuff on the surface, dig down there, and check in about 10 blocks each direction, triangulate from there

Imagine a 20x20 block bubble (I don't know the exact block range it's just an example) around the block you hit with your prospector pick. It scans the blocks and the closest you are from a vein the bigger the sample is. Traces, small, medium, large, very large samples. Like killster550 said, triangulate. When you see the samples reducing in size its because you are moving away from the vein.

But beware, there are false negatives. Sometimes two blocks next to one another will say two different things like Very large sample and Nothing found. In general when you find a very large sample just dig in every direction and note when you are moving away from the vein. Usually what I do is when I hit a very large sample I make a 6x6 chamber and dig in every direction for about 20 blocks (up and down and diagonal) it works MOST of the times.

Imagine a 20x20 block bubble (I don't know the exact block range it's just an example) around the block you hit with your prospector pick. It scans the blocks and the closest you are from a vein the bigger the sample is. Traces, small, medium, large, very large samples. Like killster550 said, triangulate. When you see the samples reducing in size its because you are moving away from the vein.

But beware, there are false negatives. Sometimes two blocks next to one another will say two different things like Very large sample and Nothing found. In general when you find a very large sample just dig in every direction and note when you are moving away from the vein. Usually what I do is when I hit a very large sample I make a 6x6 chamber and dig in every direction for about 20 blocks (up and down and diagonal) it works MOST of the times.

Counting the block you are hitting, it would be a 25x25 bubble (12 from each side of the hitted block). Other than that, you are right :3

Follow the trail. Watch out for falses, though. I once had to go in a wild goose chase looking for Bismuthinite. Branch mine and prospect is how I go (during the early Beta stages of vII).

How the hell do i find veins?

Usually you slap your arm and wait for them to appear :D

once you have a reading, find where it is as high as you can get it.

Then dig one way until it goes down. Mark the last block with a torch.

Dig the other way, mark that end with a torch.

Find the middle.

Figure out the rest, I won't share all my secrets.

Think about it this way: The reading is determined by how many ore blocks the scan picks up. This means that if one block reads "medium" and an adjacent block in the +x direction reads "large" then this means that the extra 1 block 12 meters in the +x direction has ore in it. Repeat this for the z and y directions and you're done. you want to find CHANGE in reading, not just "very large"

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0